TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Raptor Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Raptor

The career for me? - January 25th 2009, 03:46 PM

I need some help on jobs/careers please

I'm 20 and currently work full time as a waitress in a pub (which I live above with my boyfriend who works as a chef)
Now waitressing is OK, I've done it for a while part time, amongst other things, but I don't intend on doing it forever.

I've got an AS in Photography, a ND BTEC in Multi-media and good GCSE grades, but that doesn't really help a smidge.

I don't want to work in media, and I'm highly unlikely to get a job in photography I enjoy.
In fact there are really very few jobs I'm interested in pursuing.
I'm a pessimist and in the end, everything just seems like too much hassle, too scarey, too hard to bother with.

I want to be an author, but I know that I do actually need a full time job as well.

I've thought about working with animals, but without the right qualifications (and University really isn't my thing) I'm unlikly to get a job in that field.

I just don't know what to do, I've never found careers advisors at college/school any help at all so I'm reluctant to speak to someone like that again.

Any suggestions?

Raptor.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: The career for me? - January 25th 2009, 04:06 PM

If you want to work with animals, you could consider working in an animal shelter or humane society. You could work as a vet's assistant or maybe at a zoo?

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The career for me? - January 25th 2009, 04:42 PM

i was gunna suggest at an animal shelter or charity, i'm pretty sure you could get a job there from just having a keen interest in animals rather than actual qualifications.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: The career for me? - January 26th 2009, 09:49 AM

Have you looked at somewhere like the RSPCA, you could work as an inspector or a kennel worker. If you don't think you can go to uni, look at evening classes at college, or possibly get some voluntary work for the RSPCA or another shelter so you have some experience while you are still working.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Raptor Offline
Not a n00b

Re: The career for me? - January 27th 2009, 05:50 PM

The zoo would be the only thing I'd go for, but I don't know if I'm THAT interested in it...
I dunno.
It seems I have no other options because I have no interests.
What do I do now?
Office work is a no. Any form of teaching is a no. and so on and so on.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Silence Offline
i'm inconsistant not new
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Z

Re: The career for me? - January 28th 2009, 08:26 AM

Im in exactly the same boat as you. different quals but yes work waitressin in a pub n ent a job for life. soddin hard ent it n right now with this damn recession its provin even harder to find a job let alone find a career path that interests..proper pants not knowing interests ent it.. i was always told that somethin interestin would 'pop' up but well it ent n im not prepared to spend my life waiting for it too.
personally i plan on playin the field n tryin to find the job for me but well it hasnt worked but it may work for you :-/

Non illegitimi carborundum

(#7 (permalink)) Old
StarCrossedKid Offline
vindicated
Not a n00b

Name: Star Crossed Kid

Re: The career for me? - January 28th 2009, 05:27 PM

Hey Raptor. I'm also in the same boat (or a similar one). I think trying as many jobs as you can will help you discover something that you truly like. Even volunteer part time just to get a taster. Good luck with your hunt.

"With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Raptor Offline
Not a n00b

Re: The career for me? - January 29th 2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone.
I think trying lots of jobs is a good idea, thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is I need to take on full time work that pays relativly well, as I no longer live at home and would have to support myself.

Idealy, I'd like to run a small cafe (boyfriend as chef) because I have experience in the catering and hospitality field, but I know it's not that easy to actually RUN a business. Also, times are hard money wise so starting something big like that might not be the best idea right now.
I think I just don't want to work for anybody. I can be pretty shy at times and it's just effort.

I don't really know what sort of jobs are out there that would appeal to me, only the ones that dont.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WingedAngel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Re: The career for me? - January 29th 2009, 02:38 PM

Hiya. I'd also try looking online aswell - and see what sort of jobs catch your eye. I always wanted to work in I.T. and I'm gaining the qualifications. In a way I wish I never looked online because it's opened many new career paths for me. At the moment I'm stuck between lawyer, artist, writer, I.T, Social work and god knows how many others. I have the potential to do all of these but in a way I don't want to pick one and then regret not doing another. Anyway, I'd definitely look online anyway, websites like learndirect careers pages and connexions-direct jobs4u give job descriptions, qualifications and salary guidelines. I'd definitely follow the tips above though and just try out some different jobs and get proper experience in them - you may find you begin to enjoy something you'd never imagine yourself doing.
Hope it helps,
x

I'm here to talk; just PM me :]

x

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: The career for me? - January 29th 2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I need some help on jobs/careers please

I'm 20 and currently work full time as a waitress in a pub (which I live above with my boyfriend who works as a chef)
Now waitressing is OK, I've done it for a while part time, amongst other things, but I don't intend on doing it forever.

I've got an AS in Photography, a ND BTEC in Multi-media and good GCSE grades, but that doesn't really help a smidge.

I don't want to work in media, and I'm highly unlikely to get a job in photography I enjoy.
In fact there are really very few jobs I'm interested in pursuing.
I'm a pessimist and in the end, everything just seems like too much hassle, too scarey, too hard to bother with.

I want to be an author, but I know that I do actually need a full time job as well.

I've thought about working with animals, but without the right qualifications (and University really isn't my thing) I'm unlikly to get a job in that field.

I just don't know what to do, I've never found careers advisors at college/school any help at all so I'm reluctant to speak to someone like that again.

Any suggestions?

Raptor.
I just want to make money, and NOT be that kid working in fast food for 4 years through college. I'm most likely going to be a dental assistant, that starts at a very good wage, 15 I believe. It only takes 5 weeks, and it sounds like a great job.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread