TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sharealaugh. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bridget

online school? - December 4th 2009, 08:47 PM

i really can't handle the school i go to.
no body cares about education at the crappy school i go to, not even the teachers.
i was like woo hoo ! the first month and now it's retarded.
i'm learning nothing, what the hell am i going to do with my life, you know?

private school is out of the question- expensive.
i can't go to a different school because of where i live.
my only solution is online school.
yeah, i'll probably only have my two best friends.
but at least i won't die in high school.

so, do any of you go to online school?
i need some advice- is it alright?
thank you !

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: online school? - December 4th 2009, 09:21 PM

I go to online school. I really enjoy the learning because it's just a good school, but trust me, people will look at you differently. I've lost friends who said it was ridiculous, and the friends I do have always seem to get angry about it and tell me to just come back to school. Of course, my best friends live hundreds and thousands of miles away, and I haven't found any as awesome as them, so you're lucky.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: online school? - December 4th 2009, 11:37 PM

Hey Bridget,
I went to a normal secondary school.
If you're really not enjoying school and have no other options then maybe online school is right for you, explore your options a little more before you make a decision, this is your future remember!
Paige xox

(#4 (permalink)) Old
A Lady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ask away!

Re: online school? - December 5th 2009, 12:33 AM

I find it really awesome that you care about the education you recieve. If you feel that you will learn better and more by going to online school, then do it!
I hope everything works out!

Differences of habit and language
are nothing at all if our aims are
identical and our hearts are open.

~J.K. Rowling~

"The Beginning," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,
2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

Talk to me anytime, I'm here for you!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
sharealaugh. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bridget

Re: online school? - December 5th 2009, 11:35 PM

thanks for the advice.
i'm really considering it now, but my mom isn't to thrilled about the idea. ):

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 12:42 AM

I would sit down with your parents and school counselor and explore your options. One of my friends went to an online school and she didn't get into college because she didn't have the same extra activities that happened in a real high school.

I would honestly just stay with real school. But the decision is up to you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Commiseration Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 02:55 AM

I went to school online from the 7th grade through my junior year. That was back in the very first years that online schooling was available here and it was... in a word, awful. I basically ended up teaching myself. There were so many students and it was hard contacting my teachers. My homework would get lost in the mail and everything and the computer died over and over again. It was so unorganized, I went from a straight A student to not caring anymore. And being at home constantly for 5 years caused me to develop severe social phobia... But! I believe the system has gotten better these days as they learn what needs to be done to make it successful, and maybe it's a decent way of learning now! I suggest trying it out if you want. If you don't like it, you always have the option of transferring back to your old school! Good luck!

-Commiseration-

-Let the Music Play-
"There's no way to explain why life is filled with so much pain. But do the flowers ever grow in the places it don't rain?"

"But the unfortunate truth is that, while being different from everyone else can be exciting at first, ultimately it can get a little lonely."

"The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no further."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Inventor Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharealaugh. View Post
i really can't handle the school i go to.
no body cares about education at the crappy school i go to, not even the teachers.
i was like woo hoo ! the first month and now it's retarded.
i'm learning nothing, what the hell am i going to do with my life, you know?

private school is out of the question- expensive.
i can't go to a different school because of where i live.
my only solution is online school.
yeah, i'll probably only have my two best friends.
but at least i won't die in high school.

so, do any of you go to online school?
i need some advice- is it alright?
thank you !
No, but I've heard of them being really good. I've known some kids who got high school done in less then two years.

How is your school bad though? Are the people just very stupid and don't care about their education, or are you just having problems fitting in. If it's the latter I would stick with the school a bit longer and see what you can do to fit in.

Alternatively, I go to a vocational high school -- it's great. Your county might offer one.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
keb926 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karlie

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 04:43 AM

Hi Bridget,
I am currently doing online classes. I am finishing up my senior year. I went to a private school all the way up to middle of my senior year and was unable to complete. So I decided online classes would help me graduate. I enjoy the online classes, but you need to keep on track. Doing online classes allows you to go at your own pace, which can be a good thing and a bad thing at times. If your a procrastinator you need to try to keep on a strict schedule so you don't get to far behind. Believe me, deff. a prob. I have. Since I have to be online to do the classes I kind of get side track and go on Facebook and other sites. (Not Good lol) But overall I like online. Hope this helped a little. Best of Luck

I strongly agree with YourNightmare. Online classes do eliminate the social aspect that you would receive if you go to a normal school. I really do regret not having that. I don't have those friends I had when I was in school and little socialization. Something to think about. If you feel that your school isn't giving you a good education. You could pick up maybe one class and still go to your school. And perhaps learn new things better and faster online than you would in school but still keep that social part in your life.

Last edited by keb926; December 6th 2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Wanted to add additional advice

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 05:12 AM

I haven't done online schools before so I don't know how they are from first-hand experience, however, others appear to be saying it's good. The issue with it that I see is that it may promote isolation and decrease the diversity of your social contact with others if it's done for a long time. Perhaps try addressing the possible causes of the distress at school and see if you can find ways of dealing with it even if the causes cannot be eliminated. If worst comes to worst though, then do online schools but when you say that school is retarded, then perhaps it's your perception that is causing the distress and that needs to be addressed rather than the actual school being at fault.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
WiseOldMan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Re: online school? - December 6th 2009, 07:11 AM

laurelsprings.com this is a fully accredited high school, and offer scholorships if you need it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: online school? - December 7th 2009, 10:34 PM

I've studied numerous courses online and I did some did some AS and A levels in England online too.

It will come down to the amount of support you are offered by whoever runs the course, I really struggled with learning from (very expensive) learning modules and having only e-mail support. If your online school offers this, I advise against it.

If you get more than just e-mail support, it's a good way to go, but you may start to feel lonely and cut off from the world if you don't go to school.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone your age, you will have a great time, socially, in high school and it's not worth missing out on. It also makes college a lot more difficult after not being around a lot of people for a while. I noticed that a lot when I went from home-study to part-time at college away from home. You will make things easier on yourself if you stay in high school. As for the ease of studying, you have more distractions out of school than you do at school, this can be adverse and it's a bit of a battle to keep studying at times. At school it's different, you're there for a reason and that is to study and learn.

If you feel like you aren't learning anything you may want to try different study and revision techniques. If you are finding the classes too easy, you may want to ask for extra work.

It's best to stay in school until you are legally allowed to leave. In the end parents are quite often right, I learned that the hard way. They want what is best for you and will only have reservations if they are truly concerned. I would say trust your mother on this. She knows you better than anyone else, despite what you might think. She's seen you grow up, nobody else has.
Take care.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

Closed Thread