TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
whyamionlexapro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaan

Private school envy - December 12th 2009, 09:26 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi Guys and Girls,

I've come from a public(government-owned) school background, having barely survived (good grades, but bad verbal bullying, and truancy), and having lost friends to the private system.

I've recently started College (Senior high school, not university), still public, but as it's on the other side of town, I've been catching the bus with the private school students from the same area, as well as having many former private school students at my school (most of them very happy with private system).

Now, I've started feeling jealous of those students. One of my friends has become popular with other students, and has told me that students from private schools network with eachother (my social awkwardness/Aspergers Syndrome would probably prevent this though), and another friend has improved her reading so much (she had problems reading in primary school), that she is now getting A's in English.

Is this jealousy unusual? Should I seek help?

Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Private school envy - December 12th 2009, 05:41 PM

No it's not unusual. These kids have a better education than you do, that's a natural and probably good thing to be envious of - rather than their clothes/other peoples cars. I'm jealous of those that get to go to private schools too.

It's okay to be envious as long as you don't acting bitter towards them.
I'm sure after time you'll get over it a bit, or even if you don't, learn to deal with it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Private school envy - December 14th 2009, 03:24 AM

I went to private school for High School and Parochial school for elementary. There's really not much to be jealous of. The education is typically VERY similar to that of public school. I did love the closeness to my classmates and I knew everyone in the school by name which was a plus.

You could look into transferring?

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Private school envy - December 14th 2009, 06:28 AM

Like K said can you transfer? maybe you can even get a scholarship.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Private school envy - December 14th 2009, 06:33 AM

First off: Private school was the worst decision I ever made. It was a TERRIBLE experience for me, and I don't think I would ever consider going back.
However, that being said, different people like public school, and others prefer private school. It sounds to me like you're simply feeling as if you may like private school a bit better. If so, why not look into a nearby private school? Look up their website online, find out a few facts about the school. If you like what you see, get in contact with the school and see what they have to say about you transferring. If you are interested in going, you should definitely give it a shot. It may turn out to be a great decision.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#6 (permalink)) Old
whyamionlexapro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaan

Re: Private school envy - December 14th 2009, 11:16 AM

I've talked to my mum about this (she went to a Catholic all-girls boarding school) and she says that 1. Since I'm in year 12, there's no real point moving to the private system, and that there is very little difference. If I had stayed in my home town, I could've been in the private system, but I had to move across the country (Perth to Canberra, almost 4000km apart) at age 8, and only the public system would let me in. They tried to move me over to private schools during high school (the beginning of my depressive period, girl problems) and couldn't get me in.

Closed Thread