TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jackie Offline
World Explorer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I'm making no sense to myself. - December 17th 2009, 04:14 PM

I have no clue what I'm doing at the moment at school. It's not that I don't understand the coursework, or that I hate it. On the contrary I absolutely love the community college I'm going to. It's just all through high school I had pushed myself to do well, then burnout came senior year and it all sort of fell apart and I didn't apply to a university or "real" college. I did apply to an art school and was accepted, the problem was I couldn't afford it. Nowadays I'm thinking that if I go through two years of community college will it have been a waste if I simply plan on transferring to an art school where most of the credits may not transfer over? Or am I just being crazy, should I go for what I love in-spite of my doubts? I have no idea what I really want to do in life. I know I'm creative and I can spend and have spent countless hours working on art...but what makes the difference between a hobby and something you want to pursue as a career? I'm thinking I want to go into graphic design or motion design or animation. My self doubts have always gotten the best of me and what's stopped me is thinking I'm not good enough- that there are so many more people better than me...Ugh, confidence sucks! BUT, I'm getting better everytime I take another art class...SOO...Have you ever felt totally lost?? It's like a "what am I doing with my life" moment...Is it going to be easy to find a job- all depends on how good you are- and it all depends on confidence. Long ramble, I know but it's hard for me to describe it all without rambling if you understand that

ARTE

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dorkzilla! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess!

Re: I'm making no sense to myself. - December 17th 2009, 04:37 PM

Listen- I cannot tell you how exactly on the dot you hit how I feel right now. I took a year off after highschool because I was burnt out. I, too, didn't go to a university or a "real" college and, instead, going to my local community college. And, finally, I was also almost going to go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh but I decided I didn't have enough money to attend. So yes- I know EXACTLY how you are feeling, oddly enough!

I felt lost for a long time. I really wanted to be a photographer because that's what I feel confident in and love, but I know that it's extremely competative and a career with a good wage is not always guarenteed. So I went back and forth and back and forther and felt really upset and lost. I didn't know what I wanted to be and how I was going to support my future family (since I am married now and we plan on having kids). Finally, I sat down and worked it out for myself. Photography wasn't going to work out because it is so competative and there are a lot of people who can be better than me. But then I thought about how I love kids and working with people AND art. So, I decided to become an art teacher. That way, I can teach any age I want- really young if I don't feel confident in my skills, or high school level in a more focused medium- like teaching photography, if I feel confident enough. I'm sure to make money, and I know that there are tons of schools all over the country that will probably need me.

Right now I am taking general classes and art classes at my community college, all of which I know will transfer to the university I will be attending.

I know you probably don't want to be an art teacher, but it's there if you decide to. My advice is you to is maybe an art school/institute isn't the best way to go. People who go there often times have parents who can pay for them, or don't think ahead and go into debt later in life- artists can make a lot of money, but they can also not make any at all. I advise you to pick a university with a good art program that you like (yes, you can just go to a university- get the same thing for a LOT less, believe me). Once you decide, talk to your community college advisor, tell them where you're going and ask them to find classes that will transfer into the program that you'd like to go into. I can get you the website to do this (it takes your school, or atleast most schools- it has mine on there, and the school you want to you go and compares the classes to see what will transfer) via PM if you'd like (since my post count is too low to post links).

I know that picking a major and colleges and all of this is hard work and confusing. But, if you know in your heart that you want- NEED- to be an artist, then you'll make it work. It won't always be easy, and sometimes you might need to take an extra job on the side or compromise on what exactly you do, and you'll have to really work for it, but if you want it, you'll get there.

If you need any more advice or help with this, I am more than happy to talk to you since I know how you're feeling. =) Good luck!

Edit: One final note-

You must have confidence in yourself. Yes, you may look around at everyone and think that they are all better than you. But at that instant I want you to instead switch that thought off in your brain and instead look at their work and see how you can draw and learn from them. Go up to those people and ask them question. If you think of it this way- your teachers are better than you, but that is how you learn from them- so do the same with your fellow students. No one person is the best at anything, and always remember that it may look like they're having an easy time, but they may be struggling with other things like... lighting and shading or getting the skin tones right or anything! Use your insecurities as a learning device- Instead of saying "why can't I get this, everyone else has" go up to someone and ask them to show you how to do it, have them watch you and tell you what they see you doing "wrong". But remember... in art... there is NO WRONG! Its your interpretation of everything and your perspective! That's the great thing about it! So never ever EVER feel like you're not good enough- learn and and be happy!

Last edited by Dorkzilla!; December 17th 2009 at 04:45 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jackie Offline
World Explorer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm making no sense to myself. - December 17th 2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks A LOT! What you say makes much sense and it makes it more valuable since it's from life experience. Teaching does sound like a nice possibility. The thing with me is that I kind of get overwhelmed with all of the options there are for careers. I do love school and learning... I've just got to explore my options and talk to people. What I would love to do is just to take all the classes I think sound interesting and just go from there. I don't want to worry about transferring just yet. I agree art schools are expensive and at universities there are -double majors! So that's a nice option for like half the cost. But really, thank you!!! Makes me feel better, even though I'm still confused about what to do, it's not like I'm making the decision this instant. That site for the information on transfer credits would be great to have I wish you the best in your life as a future art/photography teacher!

ARTE

Closed Thread