TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
megarah Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: :)

School is getting way too stressful. - December 17th 2009, 11:44 PM

I need to learn how to manage my time better.

How do you study/do homework and balance everything?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: School is getting way too stressful. - December 18th 2009, 01:40 AM

I would strongly recommend getting the following things:
-big desk
-calendar
-planner/agenda
-office supplies such as paperclips, extra paper, etc
-bulletin board/whiteboard

1. Make a list of everything that you have to do in school and things that are happening outside of school on a piece of looseleaf paper.
2. See when everything is due and when things are happening. Copy it down on your calendar.
3. In your agenda, plan your homework for the next week or more. Decide what you're going to do, how you're going to do it,and when.
4. STICK TO IT!
5. Stay organized.

Hope this helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: School is getting way too stressful. - December 18th 2009, 03:41 AM

I usually use my cell phone's calander feature to mark down various due-dates but I may also write it down on little sticky notes and tape them to my shelf next to my desk. These sticky notes are for the very important things, such as test dates, paper dates, exam dates, etc... . For labs, readings and so forth, I use my cell-phone for that because it's always on me and I then set times on the cell-phone so it'll ring and vibrate, alerting me I have to begin doing whatever is specified.

For studying, I use a method of underlining in my books (for university where you buy your books, not in high-school) first in pencil to denote the general concepts. When I go to study I'll re-underline in pen, either blue or black to denote the more specific things and if need be, re-underline in another colour. I then write down these very important points along with lecture material on paper and later, summarize what is on the paper and re-write anything I'm not still understanding. I also then re-read the text and lecture notes too.

All of this means if friends want to hang out or if you want to go somewhere, then not only does the homework and studying need to be done, it needs to be done with a high quality. Suppose I'm doing a lab report and after it's done and printed out, I'll let it rest for a day or a few hours depending on when it's due, then re-read it and edit it on paper, then re-print it out.

Ideally though I like to work in groups and whenever groups are formed, we make the agreement that a) if you're an idiot then we don't want you and b) you have to have done the readings or at least know the new content fairly well. We'll look over each other's labs, homework and such to criticize it and help each other out. I found that self-criticism and criticism from others who know the stuff points out any flaws and can increase your understanding. We also may meet up online or in person just to go over material, tests, exams, etc... . I've found it allows for others to teach the content to you in a way you'll likely understand because it's from a person who is roughly at the same knowledge level compared to a professor who may complicate things.

Lastly, whenever we get past tests and past exams, we try to figure out the answers together so we can all understand how to get the answers, why the answers are not wrong, any alternative answers and what is likely to be asked for our tests and exams.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
megarah Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: :)

Re: School is getting way too stressful. - December 22nd 2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks guys!
These are really great tips. I'll definitely have to work on them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ILoveDimaBilan Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nina

Re: School is getting way too stressful. - December 22nd 2009, 09:55 PM

I would personally make a schedual or something Do homework the day you get it what I do and this may or may not work for you.

My routine Monday-Thursday (sometimes friday):
7am-4pm School (including travel time back and forth
4pm-5pm Snack relax for a bit
5pm-7pm Homework hours
7pm-10pm The time is mine

However on a friday if I decided to go out
Friday night - All day Saturday (My time)
Sunday Clean room, do any left over homework and relax.

You might not do everything on my list. But that works for me so I get time to relax eat sleep talk to my friends etc I'm no isolating myself I have an active soical life and have good grades

Giant owl goes...
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- Paul Meton
- HIGNFY

Go against the rules walk on your own not behind someone else!
- Dima Bilan

The Glass of life is never half empty it is always half full
- ME

Closed Thread