TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Karl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - December 31st 2009, 11:00 AM

Hey,

I'm not exactly a teen, but I couldn't find any other place online to post this so I'm hoping I'll find some help here.

I'm 20, I'm Canadian and I'm gay. The purpose of me mentioning my sexual orientation comes in later. This MIGHT be long, I'll understand if no one has the time to read it all. It's all good.

I've lived part of my life in an Arab country (Lebanon) because as a kid, I was really bad at school and had to move away from my mom (in Canada) to go study in Lebanon where my dad is since the schools in Canada wouldn't let me in anymore due to bad grades. I finished school and highschool well in Lebanon and have recently (2-3 years) came back to Canada for college.

I'm not in college studying what I really love doing; multimedia. Without going into details, it's a mixture of computer art, programming, design, 3D, video, etc.

My father, in Lebanon, runs a very successful decorating/renovating company. They fix buildings and all that stuff. It's really successful, he's very financially eased.

I'm the youngest of three. My sister and my brother are both married with kids and established in Canada with absolutely no plans to go back to Lebanon as far as I know. (It's not a very good place to educate kids they think. I sort of agree, but apparently it's gotten better.)

My father has made it clear that he's not going to be working for very long (he's getting a little aged). Maybe 5-6 more years, so he constantly asks me and wonders whether or not I'd like to go to Lebanon to take over the company instead of him selling it since it's really successful, he's invested all his life in it basically. If I refuse, he's going to sell it and that'll be the end of it.

During our conversations, I've showed him my general lack of interest in that sort of business (architecture, renovating, etc..). I'm more of an artistic person, I like photography, design, web creation, etc.

So now I'm facing a dilemma to which I have to answer soon. Leave to Lebanon which would imply very probably financial ease but which COULD also mean I wouldn't have the opportunity to work as a graphic designer/web designer/etc.. AND possibly wouldn't have a very successful relationship (since I'm gay and this country doesn't exactly support gay people, although it's not as bad as the rest of the arab world). Or stay in Canada, probably work as what I want to work but risk not being exactly financially eased since it isn't as easy in Canada but more chances for a successful relationship?

I'd just like to hear some opinions. Don't hesitate to ask for more details, I just woke up and am a little mellowbrained.

Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - December 31st 2009, 11:13 AM

Don't do it, you'll spend your life hating it and regretting your decision. I'm sorry that seems like such a short response but really I think that's all there is to it. You will be miserable in Lebanon and I think you know that - you won't be able to be (as?) open about being gay, you won't be doing the career you want to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: ~Sebrine~

Re: Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - December 31st 2009, 12:11 PM

you can hire someone you trust in Lebnon to run the business but still be the offical owner.
it's too successful to just let go of!!

The Darker the NIGHT,
The brighter the dawn.
The longer the darkness lingers,
The more beautiful the light will come.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - December 31st 2009, 12:29 PM

Although it's good if you have financial ease if you don't enjoy working there then you're going to really hate it.
I do like the idea of asking someone else to run it for you, a lot of business owners now don't actually run the businesses they own.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Karl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - December 31st 2009, 04:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a wise idea. I've wondered why my father didn't just do that and realised that the fact is there is no one capable enough and willing to or ready to run the business.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Assured financial ease, or assured fun? - January 3rd 2010, 07:10 PM

Well, if the business is successful then doesn't your family have money? I mean.. maybe not a lot of money, but there's probably some assurance padding in there for you to jump your career in "multimedia".

I just think that my practical side of me urges you to have some education in practical design stuff. Graphic, web design? Product design? Just something that will be in relatively high demand always.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Closed Thread