TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 03:57 AM

ok so I recently got a job at a pizza place. When I first learned that I got a job, I was really excited and determined to not quit and keep going at it. Then I actually started working at it and learned to hate the food industry. Too put it simply, I'm really not cut out for it and considering that the manager demands perfection (even if, in my case, you're new), I am really not enjoying myself.

I'm actually looking to spend time doing volunteer work, and to do that I wouldn't have time for a job.

So my question: How long do you have to be at a job for it to look good on a resume? Because right now one of the only reasons I'm staying at my current job is because I know that the time I spent in my current job would probably look bad when I'm looking for a new one.

You're amazing just the way you are

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 02:42 PM

I think a couple of months wouldn't look too bad, as by that time you would have given it a go and you'd know for sure whether you want to quit. It's fair enough to say you've got other things to attend to, like voluntary work. That shows you're willing to help people so it'll look really good when you're looking for another job. Don't worry, it won't ruin your career to drop out of a job after, say, two or three months. At least then you've shown commitment to your work. Who knows, maybe you'll decide you like your career after a while. Good luck =]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 03:36 PM

If you're not enjoying the job then it's not worth doing it to put it on a résumé, and in the end it probably wouldn't be one of the highlights of it anyway. And you don't have to tell them how long you spent working there?

You're probably better off starting the volunteer work instead of the job is you're not enjoying, it'd also look much better on your résumé.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 04:29 PM

i would say if you're unhappy then leave but you have to bear in mind the current job market and finding another job may not be easy.. consider how much you need the money? if you can afford to be unemployed for a while then put your happiness first and quit.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 06:51 PM

Less than six months is going to look bad, I'd have said a year really to be able to show that you are committed and determined.

Also you said that your employer is demanding. Most employers are demanding. That's generally their role.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 07:01 PM

You're 16. I think a pizza job place is just fine, but I also think you should be in school and that should be your main focus. Can you juggle your job, school work, and volunteering? Because I would try to do that.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: trouble with career - January 1st 2010, 07:25 PM

One thing you want to be carful of is not to job hope, eventually your resume with have 6 different jobs on it and you’ll have no experience, its best to stick in one play for as long as possible.

Now I’ve worked in the food industry and it was NOT for me at all! I hated it. However I stuck it out for 3 years and have a good resume because of it. Just because you work at a part time job somewhere doesn’t mean you have to turn it in to your life time career.

Now don’t misunderstand what it is I’m saying here, if you really… Really hate your job find a new one but don’t quit until you’ve got another.

Good luck!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: trouble with career - January 2nd 2010, 12:58 AM

Yeah also make sure you've got a good reason for leaving . For example if you went for another job, and they said have you ever worked before, and when you replied yes, asked why... They're going to want a better reason than the manager demanded perfection, no offense!

To be honest unless you REALLY hate it, I'd stick it out, see it as a challenge not a chore, see if you can do as he wants and see where it gets you

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: trouble with career - January 6th 2010, 01:09 PM

thanks people! I shall try to stick it out for a bit longer

You're amazing just the way you are

Closed Thread