TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
karilar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Extremely Stressed about Algebra 2 - January 9th 2010, 12:28 AM

Yeah, I know, Algebra II's easy, I suck.

First, a little background info: we've had to move a lot in recent years, and we were with a private school for a while that I actually did really well with. It was a one course per month school, and the teacher worked with me. I actually had several extra credits with that school system. Well, we had to move again.

My mom registered me with an online school a few months ago. I'll admit, I hated the sound of this school from the very beginning, but I knew I didn't have any choice, so I stuck it out. It's my final year of high school and I have 9 classes.

I have to take Geometry and Algebra 2 at the same time. Now, several years back, I got thrown in Algebra 2 by my counselors in a public school even though I never should have been in that class. I failed.

A month into this school, I get thrown into Algebra 2 again...two entire units behind. I couldn't get caught up. Every time I finished something, another unit was about to close and I had to rush. I never even actually got to LEARN any of it. So there it was, this endless cycle of rush through the class before it closes the next day. Winter break came, I planned to spend all of it on getting caught up.

But, one of my friends arrived unexpectedly, and as a result, I didn't have much time to get caught up. My mom, instead of cooperating, just lashed out at me, and apparently expected me to know units 1-7 like the back of my hand within just a few days. I'll admit, too, part of it was also me unmotivated.

For the last week, I've been getting some Algebra 2 help off another site. I was doing good, I got some of the basics down, but still was not caught up to Unit 7, which closes today. So, once again, I've had to seriously rush through it. And since the entire class is graded only by online quizzes, you can imagine I'm not doing so hot.

My mom and I are not seeing eye-to-eye. My Algebra 2 teacher, unlike my other teachers, is also not willing to cooperate beyond letting me retake only one test, which she almost did not want to do (luckily, that test was one of the earlier units, and I have several days to study for it).

I have one other class I'm failing, Geometry, but I can and will bring that one up by the end of the semester. Algebra 2 is the only one that I simply can't bring up. I have a 25% in it right now and even if I got all 100%s on my tests and quizzes from here on, it wouldn't be enough to bring it past 50%.

My mom has been threatening to force me to drop out of school. She'll pull me out of school if I don't pass every single class this semester.

But...I can't. There is no way in hell I can pass Algebra 2. I would have to completely retake the class, start from the very beginning, which I've been trying to do, but can't, because the class continues to move at a rapid pace and I started 2 units behind.

I don't want to give up on high school. Honestly, if I have to repeat the 12th grade, I'm willing to do that (provided that, this time, I am actually allowed to start all of my classes from the beginning and not just get thrown into a class the way I was with Alg2). But my mom isn't. It's just succeed now or fail completely, and there is absolutely no negotiating with her.

I'm at the point where I don't even want to live anymore, but of course, I'm too much of a coward to take my own life, so I'll just end up suffering through it and wishing everyday this miserable existence would just end.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Extremely Stressed about Algebra 2 - January 9th 2010, 02:13 PM

I think that you should print this out and give it to your mom. It sounds like she isn't listening to you, so maybe if you wrote it down to let her know how you feel and how stressed you are, then she can help you. A lot of times parents get a little caught up in everything and don't see the big picture. If you show her that you were put in the class late and then you couldn't catch up, then maybe she will allow you to retake it.

I think that math is a difficult subject to take online. I would check out resources in your area where you can get person to person help. Check with a local high school. Maybe you can go in for tutoring with a teacher there. You can also check a local library. A lot of times libraries have tutors for free that will help you.

I hope that everything works out in the end.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
karilar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Extremely Stressed about Algebra 2 - January 14th 2010, 05:55 AM

Sorry for the late reply -- internet problems.

The problem is, my mom knows everything about this. She's just not willing to compromise. She knows I was put in the class late.

I've managed to get most of my grades up, but Algebra II is, without a doubt, the one class I just simply cannot pass. I did a lot of offsite tutoring and tried to retake that one test today...none of the questions on the test made any sense to me whatsoever, even with the tutoring.

I might have another chance to pass high school, though, but it would be much more difficult in some ways and would require an enormous change in lifestyle on my part.

I cannot just let it all go down the drain. I just....can't. If there is absolutely no way at all I can succeed in this school, I might try with the other school I was in before we moved. However, here's the problem with that: my mom definitely won't move back. I do have a friend who lives in that area, though, so if possible, I might see if he and I can share an apartment for a year while I finish up schooling there and get some kind of job to help pay the bills. This would be very difficult, but it's doable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Extremely Stressed about Algebra 2 - January 14th 2010, 01:48 PM

This must be so stressful for you! I always had a hard time learning math under pressure, because it's just not meant to be learned that way. I mean, yeah sure, you can cram under pressure, but conceptual stuff is hard to learn when you're like ohshitohshitohshit. And that conceptual stuff is probably going to come back later, so you need to learn it.

What happens if you fail? Can you retake it in summer school? I think summer school might be a great option for you because it would be similar to what you had in your private school (intensive study of one course per month) and you'd have more time to fucking breathe. And your failing grade would get dropped, ofc.

Why not look into that, and let your mom know?

And she should NOT be pressuring you to drop out of school. That is a horrible thing for a parent to do, you need to get through this, and you will.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Closed Thread