TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Scheduling advice needed - January 12th 2010, 12:16 AM

I apologize in advance for the length, but I really need opinions on this and fast. Basically I talked to 3 professors today trying to get things sorted out.
Scheduling this semester was difficult because of limited course offerings, but I managed to get one that works pretty well.

I'm in a class that I don't need, but I took because it sounded interesting now that I realize how much work it's going to be I want to drop it. Aside from the regular class material we have 1 group presentation (fine) and 1 supplemental book/book paper (also fine) on top of that though we have service learning in groups of 5 that for me would involve transportation issues. Going along with that we have grants to award so we have to write and critique grant proposals. Then I have 6 other classes with presentations and papers of their own, so I have to schedule group meetings outside of class around what mess I already have. I talked to the prof and she said to wait a week and see, but we're already put into groups so the sooner I can get out the easier it would be on everyone else to adjust

I could drop this class, but I would need to pick up another one. The one that works the best is already closed, but with the prof's permission I could add into it, but the deadline to add a class is Friday the better class would be 1 less credit for a lot less hastle. I still have to talk to the prof to see if he would let me do this

I also talked to a third prof about doing course assisting with him, but after realizing that it would be the equivalant of 2 more credits (leaving me, if I don't drop anything with 17.5 credits) I decided against that.

I also talked to my advisor and she advises:

1. Course assist another semester (done)

2. stay in the class I want to drop because too much work isn't a good excuse to drop (good excuse would be job or scheduling conflicts)

3. Talk to the prof of the class I want to add before I do anything (duh)

Now I'm basically just trying to decide which would be more hastle, leaving things the way they are and dealing with it for 15 weeks or trying to make the changes. I'm afraid thtat if I don't do it that I'll regret it and be miserable, but there's no guarentee that I'll be able to add the class I want in which case I'd be completely stuck.

My advisor doesn't agree with me 100% but she says she'll approve it if I decide to do this.

What do you guys think?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Scheduling advice needed - January 12th 2010, 11:53 AM

Do what will make you happiest and enable you to succeed. The next 15 weeks of your life are ones you can't get back or re-do. If you'll spend them stressed out of your mind and unable to succeed in the rest of your classes for not dropping the one, you should drop it.

When faced with tough decisions, I tend to go with what I WANT. Once you decide, either way, I think you'll find it's much less stressful since you'll know what you have to do. Put yourself, your future, and your happiness first--your education is one place you should be afforded this privilege without fail, if you ask me.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Scheduling advice needed - January 12th 2010, 12:59 PM

I thought all night and had more classes today and I'm going to try to make the switch if I can track down the prof of the added class and submit the paperwork before Friday.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Scheduling advice needed - January 13th 2010, 02:51 PM

I made the switch and it's completed successfully so this can be closed.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Scheduling advice needed - January 15th 2010, 05:24 AM

Closed at OPs request.

Closed Thread