TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 01:26 PM

What would you say is the best way to learn a language? Be it your opinion or factual information.

• Go to a class (evening class)
  • College course
  • Via the internet, interactive course
  • Books and tapes
  • One on one
  • Other
I say one on one because I have three fluent younger cousins who could help me. But with that, would it be easier to get books to follow with?

I'm not so great with picking up languages, so I would like an easy way to do so, because learning a language would help with my career plans.

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 04:19 PM

I believe everyone learns differently so you have to find the best way for you to learn

Maybe you can begin yourself by starting with basics by using the internet or buying yourself a book.
But after that you need some interaction with someone who knows the language. At that point I think its useful to go to a class or course or have one on one teaching.
You could even just have some one on one teaching from a friend or family member who knows the language.

Also a lot of practise and having confidence to make mistakes in the language while you are learning.
And remember that language is something that you are always learning. You will never learn every word in the dictionary in any language (even if it is your main language)

And a little tip that I foudn helped me was to stick notes on objects with the name of them.
Like writing the word for door and then sticking it to the door, writing the word for fridge and sticking it on the fridge
Even if you dont read it all the time, just by seeing it as you walk past helps your brain to remember it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 04:22 PM

I use my DS to learn Mandarin Chinese and I find it really easy to learn that way

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 04:30 PM

Personally out of that list I would say a college course would be the most intensive, especially for beginners. However I taught myself a bit of Italian last summer just through the internet and a couple of books.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 07:20 PM

Personally I'd prefer not to go to a course or anything, just so that I can do it in my own time. And I seem to find it difficult to pick up languages really. I suppose I remember some things I learnt in school about french, but I want to be able to pick up the language almost fluently to aid in my career. I'll just have to look for some books!

Also! Would you happen to know if they had a DS game for learning Welsh? It's highly unlikely, I'm sure.

Thanks!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Best way to learn and language? - January 12th 2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
Personally I'd prefer not to go to a course or anything, just so that I can do it in my own time. And I seem to find it difficult to pick up languages really. I suppose I remember some things I learnt in school about french, but I want to be able to pick up the language almost fluently to aid in my career. I'll just have to look for some books!

Also! Would you happen to know if they had a DS game for learning Welsh? It's highly unlikely, I'm sure.

Thanks!
No they don't I emailed the company asking if they were planning to bring more language ones out. So far they have Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish and English.

There are computer programmes which you can get to learn Welsh though, Amazon has loads.

Closed Thread