TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Question Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 07:12 AM

I feel I would benefit from dropping out of high school, getting my GED (high school diploma equivalent), and enrolling in classes as a freshman at our community college.

I find that going to school for 6.5 hours straight is very overwhelming, causing me to shut down after a certain number of classes even though i never have more than two academic classes in a row. After I shut down I stop taking in information, and it's very hard for me to complete assignments. School causes a lot of anxiety for me, not because being there is uncomfortable, but because my mood crashes when i get home, and i dread that crash. Also, the classes are not challenging enough for me & my school does not have "honors" classes, which makes it hard to stay focused and motivated to complete work.

I think being able to go to community college and schedule classes so I don't have classes back to back to back would decrease my stress levels. Also i think college level work would be more appropriate to my abilities, and i could start out only taking two or three classes so I wouldn't be over loaded by the quantity of work.

I wouldn't be isolated from peers because I would still take a photograph class for high schoolers at another college, and I could get back into volunteer work with one of my friends.

It is a concern to me however that due to mental health reasons i've missed A LOT of school recently, and if i were to need to be hospitalized again that college wouldn't be nearly as flexible with me making up work as my high school is. I think this is a valid concern, but since we have decided as a family that we are committed to avoiding me being rehospitalized as well as because despite my extreme struggles the past three months I have not needed to be hospitalized, that it is not a concern that outweighs all the positives of dropping out and enrolling in community college.

I can also see how people might say "well what if you just sit around and don't get your GED?" i don't see that happening, because when i am dedicated to doing something, i take it very seriously. I'm very good at completing work on time when i'm motivated to, and i think even if i didn't do a ton of studying that I would probably still pass.

Does anyone have any input about whether or not this is a good idea? Are there any downsides i'm missing?

Thanks-
Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 08:06 AM

Well, I've always considered the option. I mean, I'm not you, so I can't tell how difficult things are for you right now. If you feel it's the best path, then go for it. I guess it really depends on what career path you plan on following.

It seems like your family is really supportive. I remember when I was extremely depressed I told my parents I wouldn't be able to go to school that year, they screamed in my face and told me to get over it. But my parents are the type that think if you don't go to college and you're not in the military or running a business, then you're wasting your life. I can't wait to tell them I'm not doing any of those things... well, except going to college.

In the end it's all your choice. I'm personally not against it, but like you mentioned, I don't agree with people doing nothing. If you feel that it's the best thing to do, then do it.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 08:16 AM

[quote=thisiscourtney;303406] I guess it really depends on what career path you plan on following.
quote]

Why does that matter? I plan to go all the way to grad school and either get my PhD in psych or a PsyD. I'm not dropping out and settling for a minimum wage job. I'm dropping out, getting my GED, going to community college for two years, going to a private liberal arts college until i graduate, and then going to grad school.

-grey's.anatomy-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 08:48 AM

I suppose that route could work, although university isn't all that easy. First year is quite hard, although I'm sure this difficulty would be reduced at a community college. Also, when you transfer from your community college to a college or university, some of your credits may not count and you may be required to re-take certain courses regardless of your grade. I cant speak for community college but for university, there is some freedom in scheduling your courses, however, some courses have little to no freedom. For example, my 2nd and 3rd year psychology courses are offered only at one time, once a week for about 3 hour lectures. On the other hand, the course I hopped into a bit late (another stats course), has options on lecture time and tutorial time. However, my course in 3rd year neurophysiology doesn't have this flexibility, as tutorials/labs and lectures are offered only at one time.

So this isn't meant to toss cold water on your hopes but at least for universities and colleges, there may not be the amount of freedom you think there is in scheduling your courses depending on the courses you take.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
Why does that matter? I plan to go all the way to grad school and either get my PhD in psych or a PsyD. I'm not dropping out and settling for a minimum wage job. I'm dropping out, getting my GED, going to community college for two years, going to a private liberal arts college until i graduate, and then going to grad school.
Some colleges and workplaces won't accept it. But it seems like you have a plan.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiscourtney View Post
Some colleges and workplaces won't accept it. But it seems like you have a plan.
I don't see why a college wouldn't accept it as she plans to go to a community college then to a college, so the only thing the college may not accept are some of the credits obtained at the community college. Workplaces may not accept GEDs, you're right on that although if you have a Bachelor's or possibly an Associate's, then whether you got a GED or high-school diploma wouldn't matter much.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Unhappy Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 09:30 AM

Gah, now i feel like theres no way I could even make it in community college. [insert extremely pessimistic thoughts/self destructive urges here]

-grey's.anatomy-

(#8 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 01:37 PM

Megan, you have to trust yourself. You can do college, and you can do high school, it's just a question of which you should be doing. You outlined some good reasons to get your GED and then community college and then liberal arts, but you could finish high school and apply to L.A.Cs right away, you know, skip the step... unless you think you aren't competitive/ready for it yet.

My boss at my old internship did an honors program at the nearby community college, transferred after two years to a private college, and.. then went to work and became.. my boss, lol.

To be honest, I would not drop out of high school until you are certain you can take the GED very promptly after leaving high school. I would not leave any big gaps between high school and community college, and I would make sure it's the certainly the best thing I want to do with myself at the time.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Paul. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 01:58 PM

Currently I'm going to cc. It's pretty easy to make a schedule that only requires you go two or three times a week even while being a full time student (at least 12 credit hours). Without even trying (or often wanting them) I find myself with gaps throughout the day up to 2 hours long with no classes.
The classes so far are very easy, and although you said you wanted work at your level there's a chance you won't find it at a cc. This will help ease you into the college life and you'll get good grades which will enable you to transfer out with a good amount of choices too. If you do decide this is something you're serious about doing, definitely talk to people first. Not just high school guidance counselors - but the college advisers at the CC you're considering. College professors are definitely more cooperative and forgiving than high school teachers in many ways. CC is also incredibly cheap!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Drop out of high school? - January 13th 2010, 03:07 PM

I've been through community college and I described it as high school on steroids. It was very easy, but when I transfered I realized the contrast between cc and a 4 year school. I also want to point out that not only would full time be a minimum of 3-4 classes, but out of class doesn't mean no work. You only have to go 2-3 days a week, but you will have a lot of homework when you don't have class. A diploma always looks better on a transcript too. It' s up to you though. Also, is it my imagination, or do you have to be 18 to take the GED at all?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread