TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Don't know what do next - January 30th 2009, 07:06 AM

Im 19 and im finishing high school, and with that comes a big decision and one that is pressuring me so much.
I'm suppose to choose what to do next, go to college, what to major on, or not going to college and do something else.
Im getting so much pressure, from parents, from other people and from myself, when i get the question "what do you want to do?".
Honestly I don't feel like going to college, I don't know if I could finish it, I don't like the college environment and specially, i don't have anything i would like to pursuit. I don't have a goals, I don't have passion for something, like some people that already know what they want to do. My only goal is to finish high school, because I already failed one year, and other year that i had to make some changes and i lost that year too, and I learned from that mistakes, but they got me a bit behind.
I just don't know what to do, I don't have any motivation or any passion for something, and i know i have to work and i want to, i just don't see that as possible since i don't have big goals or motivation to do something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Don't know what do next - January 30th 2009, 08:33 AM

I think you need to give yourself time alone to think whether college is for you - I mean it is not for everyone. Your school guidance counsellor may help but it may not be 100% impartial.

If you don't go to college you'd probably need to start for looking for work now so you can join full time after high school or something.

College also isn't as scary as it may first appear, for example you can fit in much more easily and everyone wants to be there so there'd be no troublemakers

(#3 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Don't know what do next - January 30th 2009, 05:02 PM

If you don't know what you would major in at college, how can you expect to know what to do if you decide not to go and have to go directly into the working world?

College for some is a process to get a degree for what they already know they want to do. For more people, it's time to actually FIGURE OUT what they want to do. It's a few extra years to try things out and discover what you like and where your strengths and weaknesses are. You don't have to decide on a major right away. And you can change majors if you change your mind.

I personally think you should give college a chance if you don't know what you want to do. It's better than having to take some menial job you might not even like right after high school. If you don't think you can deal with college, community college is often more lenient, classes are smaller and easier, plus it's cheaper. It'll give you a few extra years to figure things out, instead of having to decide what you're doing with your life right after you graduate.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Don't know what do next - January 30th 2009, 05:53 PM

College isn't for everyone and it's perfectly okay if it's not for you. Have you considered taking a year off and deciding what is best for you? You could make a list of pros and cons for going to college and for not going to college. Is there anything that you really enjoy? Look into pursuing that or you could consider the military if that is an option. You could go into a trade job, like the police academy or EMS. There are a ton of options for you! Good luck and if you need to talk more, feel free to PM me.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Don't know what do next - January 30th 2009, 10:20 PM

If you don't go to college, consider the difficulties in getting a good, well-paying, stable job. Granted, there can be some but not as many as if you had a college degree. What you want to major in is up to you. When you go to college is up to you.

About now is an appropriate time for story time. One of my friends was in a somewhat situation like yours (although he didn't fail a year nor was 19 years old when he graduated). However, he was similar in the sense of being somewhat clueless as to what to do. He did want to go to college but a large part of him didn't want to because he has among the worst work ethic. Long story short, he got a few jobs for a school year with no schooling during then, the next year round, he applied to university, got in and now is doing something that I have no idea on because I haven't asked him nor cared too much. Last I checked it was a mix of history, chemistry, calculus, english and economics or some management course, all 1st year.

So this applies somehow in that you don't need to know right away. I thought I knew what I wanted, I thought some other friends who are a lot smarter than I am and some idiots a hell of a lot stupider knew what they wanted. However, they flip-flopped like a live fish on a deck and most (of those few I like and am in contact with at campus, the rest are elsewhere, I don't give a shit about them) have chosen 1 or 2 main things.

Yes yes, this is a heart-warming story, dry the tears, pull up the socks and do something. If you're not going to go to college next year, at least work somewhere. Might as well get some money if you're doing nothing else of any importance.

Closed Thread