TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sian

Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 02:08 PM

So I'm in my first year at college doing As levels and I'm failing.
I don't know what to do, I understand the work I do, but when it comes to an exam I freak out and forget everything.
I recently had a chemistry, biology and spanish mock exam. In Chemistry and Spanish I got a U, and I don't know what I got for Biology yet.
I do all the work I'm suppose to do in college, and then I do some extra at home.
I just don't get why I'm failing, the teachers are mad at me because they think I don't do extra work when I really do.
This is really getting me down now and I just want to drop out, but my mum will kill me if I do that.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 04:24 PM

I'm somewhat familiar with the UK system but you lost me completely with saying you got a grade of a U. I figure that means Underpercent or Under-something but what is it in terms of a percentage? Or is a U the equivalent of a D or F?

Is it possible to get past tests and exams? At university here (I know university isn't the same as college in the UK) you can buy them from other students or from certain clubs (i.e. biology) club, and some professors may post their own past tests online. In any regard, the point is to have a mock test(s) that you can do by yourself and first do without timing yourself, just to see how much you really know, then if you do well on that, then begin timing. Hopefully by mimicking the test conditions, you can become less and less anxious and worried, and do better.

You seem to know why you're not getting high marks (i.e. test-taking skills) so if you know the material, then all that's left is to continuously study and prepare by timing yourself as though it's a test. You could also practice skills that aren't specific to a subject, such as when you begin a test and see the first question and begin getting worried about it, close the test and just remember what you studied for a few minutes. Open the test again and find a question you know the answer to right away and do those so your confidence increases and anxiety decreases.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 06:28 PM

A u means unclassified, it's a complete and utter fail, it's lower than an F, I think the percentage is about 20% or below.
I've done all of the past exams that I have been able to do I just can't make the information stay in my head during an exam, or if I do I get it all mixed up and completely wrong ; ;

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 08:26 PM

Hey Sian, does your college have an Additional Learning Support team? They should do I think, and you can refer yourself to them for help with your studies in terms of managing your work and 1-to-1 tutorials. Defintley worth a go

With regards to what you're doing wrong, perhaps you should look at how you're working? If you're prepared to work hard you'll defintley be able to get those marks up I'm assuming you've already had your January exams, but you could resit those in June for a better mark.

Here is my advice, I do Biology and Chemistry too and this works for those subjects but I don't really know anything about Spanish

- When you get home from college, do your homework, but also go through the textbooks and the classnotes on the topics you've done that day. Look in the syllabus to see exactly what it is you should know, read up on that, and make your own notes from your classnotes and the textbooks

- At weekends make sure you're completely up to date with making your own notes and understand what you've done in class entirely. If you can get ahead a bit, it makes the classes even better!

- You should start revising ideally 6ish weeks before an exam ( I start 8 weeks before ) because then you can start off slowly and build up. How I revise is to go through all my notes I've made myself and make sure they cover every single point in the syllabus, I literally check them off, and add to them were necessary. Then I write the notes out again, but a little bit more compact. Then I write them out again, once more compacted. Then I make posters on the topics with key points. Then I do every single past paper there is. Past papers is really important, you said you've done them all, but did you mark them yourself too? When you mark them you start to see patterns emerging in the kind of terms they look for and where the marks are awarded. What board are you doing? I know that all the syllabuses changed but I used the old past papers and they were fine. It's a lot of work but I get A's because of it so to me its defintley worth it

I'd also talk to a teacher or your tutor and see what else they recommend. DEFINTLEY look into additional learning support or another support scheme in your college

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 09:42 PM

Well I've started having extra lessons in everything, and for sciences I've started making flash cards with everything I need, but not sure if that is working yet since I've only just started doing them :/

I didn't have any January exams, only got ones in the summer thank god.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Failing college ;; - January 21st 2010, 09:52 PM

Flashcards probably won't be enough to start with, you need to go through it in detail first. A lot of my friends make this mistake too, but its the detail that makes the difference

hopefully with extra lessons you'll see an improvement

Closed Thread