TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Belle~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Please help me make this decision! - January 22nd 2010, 11:06 AM

Okay, so I've just finished my first year of high school. I won a 75% scholarship to a really upmarket private Girls' school (we'll call it St.Mary's, as well as getting into an education program for gifted children at another international school. I chose to go to St. Mary's with one of my closest friends I've known since I was five. We'll call this friend Layla*. One of Layla's parents passed away a couple of years ago. Anyway, socially, I do not like the school. The girls are mostly somethings that start with b and rhymes with witches, and my friends and I are pretty much at the bottom of the social heirachy. I have figured out that girls have this way of silently rejecting you, giving off a 'we don't want you here' air. I have tried to make friends with some new people but nothing works. I don't understand, I've been nothing but kind to everyone.. Anyway, onto the heart of my problem. The other international school I was talking about earlier has an opening in my year level, and one of my other best friends, a cousin and heaps of other people I know love it there. There's so many people, it's hard not to find a niche you fit into. Anyway, I have the opportunity to transfer and I really want to take it, but I don't want to leave Layla there on her own. I know if I were in her place, I would be shattered if she left. I don't know what to do. I really, really don't want to lose Layla's friendship, she's one of my four best friends in the whole world and I can't lose her. I realise I could have said this in a lot less words but, meh. Please, please help me decide what to do!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Please help me make this decision! - January 22nd 2010, 12:19 PM

Talk to your friend and see how she takes it. Say that you're only considering it right now but that you think it would be the best thing for your education and didn't want to keep her in the dark.

In the end, do what is best for you. Do not decide to go to a school for friends but equally do not choose to stay at a school for friends. Friends will change over the years. Do what is best for you, what will make you most happy, and what will get you the best education.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Please help me make this decision! - January 22nd 2010, 03:06 PM

Hey Belle, You should do what's best for you, you aren't being selfish by doing so. If you want to transfer and you think you'd be much happier there then go for it, it isn't like you won't see your friend again just because you transfer schools. A general life lesson is that you shoudn't make life altering decisons because of your friends or you might make a decison that you aren't happy with.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Belle~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please help me make this decision! - January 22nd 2010, 10:24 PM

Alright, that sounds like excellent advice. I really do want to go to the other school, it offers IB and heaps of extra-cerriculum subjects I'm interested in. I'm going to call my friend and talk it over with her today. I'm sure she'll understand, and if making myself happy like that isn't a selfish thing to do, than I won't feel truckloads of guilt over it as well. Thankyou for your support. If anyone else wants to offer their opinion, I'd appreciate it.

Closed Thread