TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

public school vs. private school? - January 23rd 2010, 11:07 PM

Okay well, this may be kind of a long story.

Well, in kindergarten i went to private school (didnt have to pay, i loved it!) i had no problems what so ever except i had some problems reading and i was shy. (i didnt think i was shy) well, they tried to help me with reading, then my mom agreed with the school to hold me back. next year, i still couldnt read. i had a very hard time with reading. then my mom looked into private schools but shes told me she remembers looking at the 2 private schools here. the one school i cud have went to but back then u had to be a catholic to go there. so my mom wasnt gonna put me threw that since i wasnt catholic. then she looked at another school. she told me it was SO OLD. she did not like it what so ever and said she had no choice but to put me in public. i went to a public school for only 3 weeks, there were 50 kids in each classroom. but I LOVED IT! those were the best times of my life. the teacher was nice, the kids were nice. i had all my friends from there. but sadly i did NOT live in the district i needed to live in. and since there were way,way too many kids in the school they kicked me out. including half of the school too. i was S0 SAD. I HAD TO LEAVE MY FRIENDS FOR THE 2ND TIME.
then my mom found out they rebuilded the school that she didnt put me in. THE NON CATHOLIC SCHOOL. so my mom stuck me in there.

the 1st year was okay. i liked it, but inside i think i really wanted all along to go back to that public school. but i never relized i think and i never asked her about it. 2nd grade, was okay too i liked it. got an awsome teacher. (the 1st year i was over at the private school my teacher physically abused me 1 time. i never told my parents about it until this year i am traumitized by it and i wish she was sued and fired becuz shes not there anymore)

okay so now u get the picture?
1st year was good.
2nd year was good.
3rd year HOLY S%$#
WORST YEAR EVER. my really nice teacher moved, got a crappy teacher that hated me. the class was so rude and was not nice to u what so ever. i was brutaly and mentally abused by the kids in there. it was so bad i was strangled and chocked 1 time. almost passed out in the hallway in front of everyone even the teacher and i dont know if she saw or not but she didnt even help me. i never told my parents and it continued for 2 years.
i had the same teacher again. i begged and begged my mom to have me switch to a different class. she talked with the crappy school councler there and she said i should go in there again (yeah right)
it was NO BETTER. SAME REWIND OF LAST YEAR.

5th grade. i was SO DONE WITH THE SCHOOL. that year I BEGGED LIKE HELL FOR MY MOM TO PUT ME IN PUBLIC. I CRIED AND CRIED AND WAS ON MY KNEES BEGGING HER TO PUT ME IN. she still didnt. i did not believe in god at the time and was probley a full athiest at that time.
that year i liked a lot. that was the 1st year in 2 years did i liked, but still, so much drama, so much of bullying. i talked with my councler about how i wanted to switch schools and stuff. my mom said 1 of the problems was my little sister. she was in the same school as me. and its a k-8th grade school. my little sister is now in 2nd grade now. but at the time my mom said she loved it and she did not want me to put her sister threw possibly having to switch to public also. if she didnt switch then transportation wud be hard.

(there was 1 good thing i forgot to tell you. they helped me with reading and i am now very good at reading now)

now 6th grade, that is where i am at this moment. and i look back at this whole time going to that school and there has really only bene 2 years have i liked. theres a lot of things i like about it. like the education there, and stuff. but its so boring there. and the religeon is toatally out of line to me. im not a full obsessed christain. im more laid back with my christain life, and its just so strict there. we dont have to wear uniforms, but we cant wear words on our shirts, tank tops, jewlery, (gang stuff which is understandable) ect. lots of stuff we cant do. they are not into any of the stuff i am into. and my teacher is not laid back at all. shes very hurtful at times. so hurtfuk she is 1 of the main reasons i cut myself.
shes broke my space. i feel vialated by her and i now have eating problems and feel terrible by her. shes caused emotional damage to me which may last for a very long time. the kids can be really mean there.
and just i exspress myself by dressing the emo style just for fun now the parents talk crap about me all the time behind my back at the school and ita not spread around in churches i think. cuz theres friends parents that i dont know how else it cud have gotten to. the churches r the only place i can think. they say i cut myself (which they r not even sure of and i hide them pretty well so its hard to tell) im pretty they have said im going to go to hell, there kids arent aloud to hangout with me, ect.
and i like a lot of the kids there but there is really only like 1 or 2 people there that truly get me. thats how i feel. cuz a lot of the kids i know i dont think go or have bene threw crap like ive bene. and a lot of people judge me. even the teachers there.

now dont get me wrong i like 3 teachers there which is my 2nd grade teacher, my 5th, and my principle. thats it. i liked the kids there too but not many kids. i dont have a lot of friends (most of them are from public)
i really like the education there and my school is like, 1 of the top schools in the nation but still, i have longed very much to go to public all my life really.
but my mom wont let me at all. she insists i go there and she thinks its a fine school. but im treated like crap! not by all of them but a lot of them. ive bene called a hor, (thats my fault really but still i dont think its right for them to call me that just becuz i kissed a girl 1 time and my old ex)
a B. many things. theres kids i like there but theres kids i really dont. a lot r welcoming . but a lot arent really. i have rumors going about me right now all around the school.
and for these past 2 quarters i have failed. and when i ask my teacher what i should do that wud get my grades up and get done 1st. guess what she says? bible. and thats all i have mainly learned for these past 2 quarters is bible. is just toatally out of line here. and my teacher i cant even really exsplain about her shes just rude.

so i really am just wanting to switch to public. private school is good with some things but i hate how the parents are and the teachers. its just redicoulus.
my parents pay 200 to 300 dollars a month for what?
(now i know a lot of it is my fault becuz of course i did not try, but thats what my teacher tells me to do is bible) i

i honestly am just sick of private. worst thing ever in my life. im so sick of it. i feel trapped not knowing what public is really like there.

now i want to know since my moms friend said i should go there becuz im shy (im not really anymore but ive still got that shyness a little bit at times and probley will be VERY SHY SINCE IM NOT USED TP PUBLIC, on the other hand i have friends i have made that are very nice and understanding r from public so it may be an easy start for me in there)

and i have a huge struggle with math, (i was put in a stupid class that did not help me what so ever, the teacher was mean and yelled at me if i didnt know something. i became a grade behind in math and am now in like, 5th grade math and im supposed to be in 7th. so the middle school i want to go to may not be able to help me much, my friends say the teachers care so much about you and help you so much)
is this a good idea for me if im struggling with math?
i also have depression do to the bullying over there.

my mom says the economy is really bad right now which means the public schools arent doing to well, but how does she know? also my counclers told my mom that public school just isnt a good fit for me. i on the other hand think its time i switched.

my friends tell me you will by faced by drugs, mabie violence, ect.
but they say no everytime it happeneds to them and they love it there.

in your opinion how is public vs.private for you?
has anyone had this problem before? and which is better in yout opinion?

also how can i convince my mom? it seems impossible to convince her.

Met you from a tie between u and me buddy,
Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

Me and ? = 3 days which =correct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 23rd 2010, 11:29 PM

i've been to lots of different schools.

when i lived abroad i went to private international schools and loved them. then i moved to england and went to a primary school for two years, it was ok.. then for secondary school [high school] i went to a private school and it was a pretty good school but i had some problems towards the end of my final year there. it's a shame because that kinda taints my whole view of that school, but really for the best part of five years i was very happy there. just right at the end i was unhappy. now i'm at a state sixth form college and i love it, people are friendly, teachers are great.

there are pros and cons to private schools.
pros - smaller classes, the teachers have more time for you because they teach less students, generally better results, more disciplined.
cons - teaching can be shit because private schools can pretty much employ who they want, a lot of top public schools [in the UK a 'public' school is a prestigious private school and we call american 'public school' state schools. have huge drug problems because more money = more drugs.
and theres lots more pedophiles.. no, really.

i went to private schools because a) my mums a snob and b) the state school i would have been placed in is TERRIBLE. has an awful reputation and a very high percentage of people leaving with no qualifications.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 24th 2010, 12:24 AM

Sounds like you’ve had bad experiences in private schools overall. I can’t really give you my option on public schools because I’ve never been to one. But my experience with private once has been good. I went to Mexican private schools although 8th grade and then went to one in the USA, which I loved because it was a whole new experience and so different from what I was used to. In the USA we did sometimes play against the public schools and when we went there we did have to take extra precautions, because our school and the public school had a history of fights etc. Anyways when I did pass by the public school the atmosphere was weird, different from what I was used to.
I do agree with you that in the private schools people judge too quickly, if you dress out of the dress code, or act different. But at the end of the day I think private schools have more of a “big family environment”
About how convincing your mom of letting you switch schools I would sit down and have a chat and talk about all the things you don't like about school. Tell her you’re grateful for the chance to go to the private school but you just don't fit in and if that doesn’t work find something positive about the school you want to go to.
Good Luck.!

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Belle~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 24th 2010, 01:15 AM

I agree with Andrea, you should sit down with your mum and go over your reasons for wanting to transfer to a public school, and your counsellors as well, if you find yourself thinking thought of cutting yourself because of what's happened, I definitely think that your counsellor and parents will listen to you, and at least consider it. If you really hate your current school, and your mum really isn't willing to compromise on a public school, perhaps you can do some research on another private school which have policies that suit your personality.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 24th 2010, 05:19 AM

Yeah ive already sat down with my mom. i just did tonight and i told her all the history of me being in a private school. i told her how my little sister doesnt like it.
i told her i just hate it there and im litterly have hardly any friends and im sitting alone at lunch and everything.
but all my mom says is its worse over at public then private. and the other private 1 well i dont really know if that wud even work out either cuz my sister. i just feel like im missing out on opportunitys in public schools. the 1 i want to go seems more like an art school since my friends have told me there school is big in art and stuff.
and im a HUGE ART FAN. but idk, i mean really i havent ever enjoyed even being at my school. but my mom says youll probley hate every school you go to.
i cry litterly almost all the time there or im just really depressed day in and day out and i go and cut myself in the bathroom secretly. ive went threw HELL THERE. IT IS NOT LIKE WHAT U WUD THINK AT ALL. I DONT EVEN WANT MY LITTLE SISTER GOING THERE. I WUD RATHER HAVE HER HOMESCHOOLED IF ALL THE SCHOOLS ARE CRAPPY HERE. I CAN GARANTEE YOU SHE WILL GO THREW THE SAME THING IN THAT SCHOOL. i have a huge feeling she will have the most hardest in there. i just have a gut knowing like feeling that she will, deal with the most there. somethings gonna happen. i know it. but what else can i do? i find it so hard to even try to enjoy it there. and how wud we even be able to afford 800 DOLLARS A MONTH ONCE I HIT HIGHSCHOOL? THATS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE WHEN I THINK ABOUT MY MOM AND DAD DOING THAT. WE WUD LITTERLY BE BROKE. AND PLUS MY SISTER THEY HAVE TO PAY TOO. 2 TO 300 DOLLARS A MONTH ALSO! ALTOGETHER, 1,000 DOLLARS MONTH.
FOR 4 TO 5 YEARS. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? MY MOM MAKES DECENT MONEY BUT IT WOULDNT BE NEAR AS MUCH TO MEET THE NEEDS TO PAY THAT. AND MY DAD I DONT THINK REALLY MAKES THAT MUCH EITHER.

Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 24th 2010, 07:57 AM

If your mom hasn't mention anything about the money and tuition I don't think you have to worry about it. Look into public schools in the area. Also tell her big schools have more opportunities for joining clubs and sports.
If your issue is socializing you will be more likely to meet kids who are like you in a bigger school.
Promise to be open and honest about problems with her and that she can meet all of your friends before you go out with them. You might not like this part but she is probably scared about the types of people you'll meet. I can’t really see another reason why she doesn’t want you to go to a public school.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: public school vs. private school? - January 24th 2010, 03:40 PM

Yeah that is mainly why actullay haha. shes a councler and she has friends that work with her and she also has clients she is working with right now. she told me she knows A LOT ABOUT PUBLIC SCHOOL. but im not too sure about that just becuz she has 1 client that goes to the middle school i wanna go to. also shes never even bene there for some time to help the kids there like my councler did. my councler was there and she told me there was some heavy stuff but they do do some fun stuff too.

heres what my mom says: they are really strict,
if you are 1 seond late you are in detention,
they give you tons of homework,
and with the economy and everything right now she told me
the schools here arent doing very well.

thats mainly what shes bene telling me.

and yes since i go to my youth group i already have met some really nice kids there.
the kids that ive met so far that go to that school dont really care how you look or anything. they welcome you nomatter what and you are there friend and you get along with them just fine. at my school, thats a toatal different story haha (:

and yeah we dont have any clubs! and with sports theres a few but you have to pay and in public do you have to pay for that kind of stuff? cuz thats how it is at my school.

my mom wont even look into the rules there at the middle school in my town.
she wont even try, its like shes avoiding it. but yet most of my friends are from that school! i have hardly any friends at my school.

and heres another thing:
i feel very ripped off and screwed over with my education.
not just the fact that half of the year what ive mainly learned is just bible
but also last year i had an A in math all the time. then i went on vacation and got behind in my work. they sent me down toa class for special help.
they randomly put me in the class for the whole year and said i wud be out in a few months. i wasnt even supposed to be in that class.
and we got a very cruddy teacher that taught me nothing at all. it was just like a rewind of what i had already learned. so now i am a grade behind in my math this year becuz of that class last year. i feel very screwed over. its supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

Closed Thread