TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DandiCupcake Offline
Maxx Nova
Not a n00b

Name: Maxx Nova

Unhappy Will I Make It To High School? - January 26th 2010, 12:38 AM

I'm in middle school now and in the fall we are entering the 9th grade... (High school here) But I haven't been doing so well on my grades. Last semester I got two Ds (a 72 and a 74) because we're learning at a 9th grade level (At my private school we learn a year ahead) and it's really, really hard. No matter how much tutoring I got I would always do bad last semester.

It's the 3rd semester now and I'm passing all my classes at reasonably good grades (85s and far above) but I can't feel like I'm doing bad and worry about High school. Last year and the beginning of the year I passed everything with flying colors (88s to 100s) but ever since my mom started dating this guy and my friend almost killed himself (he blames it on me) I've been getting A LOT of stress from both family at home and friends all over. I tend to absorb a lot of stress and don't take it well.

I got my required testing scores back yesterday that I need for high school portfolios and... I failed math... with a 48! I got low grades on a few more required tests and high grades on just one or two. I'm so extremely disappointed in myself! How could I do this? I'm ruining my chances to get into my Performing Arts high school of my dreams! I don't know if I can save myself... And save my future.

I want to go to the Performing Arts school of my town that a lot of famous singers graduate from. I'm not going for singing but for visual art (sketching, painting, etc..... I've won awards for my art) but of course like any school you have to have decent grades to get in... And they need my current report card with the 72 and 74 plus my 48 on the test! At this rate not even my parents think I'll get in...

I haven't shown my dad my 48... My mom wants me to tell him... But I just don't feel 'there' anymore. I feel distant. Like I'm not in my body anymore... Like I've changed so much... I would do anything to get into the Performing Arts school. Anything! But at this point I just don't feel like I'm caring anymore...

Questions:

1. Do I have a chance? Should I worry?
2. How can I get rid of my stress? How can I focus on my work again?
3. What should I do to get my grades up even more?
4. How do I show my dad my 48? What do I say?

Thank you sooooo much! Sorry for how long it is I just really need your help I want to get into the school of my dreams!

JUST. ANOTHER. CLONE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Will I Make It To High School? - January 26th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiCupcake View Post
1. Do I have a chance? Should I worry?
It depends on what is needed, however, since you mentioned you received awards for your work in the past, stating that on your resume may help especially since it's very relevant.

Quote:
2. How can I get rid of my stress? How can I focus on my work again?
Read my answer to question 4. After that, once it is off your chest, hopefully your father and mother can provide you with some advice and re-assurance. When in high-school or university, if I did awful on a test, although I'd feel quite literally like 3 pounds of shit stuffed in a 0.5 pound bag, I'd look back at the syllabus and know that although x% of the course I shat all over, there is still plenty of room for me to improve. Try to tell yourself that it's not the end of the world because there's still time to improve.

You could also try to get a tutor or get friends or teachers to help you out. As a personal example, before I was in high-school, maybe around grade 2-3 or thereabouts, I was great in math and was my parents put me in this afterschool program for math not to tutor me but rather so I wouldn't get slowed down. Unfortunately, due to the living conditions at home, my English was shit. I did horrible at simply verbally communicating was thought to be mentally retarded because at home, I was mostly with my grandmother who had horrible English (was a pretty shitty school also). Anyways, the point of this isn't for sympathy but rather to show you can be great in one area, decent in another and be awful in another. Despite being awful and decent in some areas, you can still get into great schools and universities.

Quote:
3. What should I do to get my grades up even more?
This involves several things in general. First, do you understand the concepts being taught? Second, do you have high test anxiety? Third, are your study methods suitable and have you explored alternative methods? Fourth, given the information about the stress in your home, have you tried to study elsewhere, such as at a near-by library instead of home? Lastly, are your expectations for yourself too high? In other words, if you get, say, a 90%, do you think that's a low grade because it's not above, say, 95%? You need to identify the reasons for the grades lowering.

Quote:
4. How do I show my dad my 48? What do I say?
See if your mother can provide any advice on this but if not, find a time when he isn't flooded with work or very busy, and simply tell it. Alternatively, you could phone him at work or wherever he is and if he's not flooded with work or very busy, then tell him on the phone, tell him your concerns and the whole nine yards. He may get angry but the idea behind this is if he gets angry, he has time to simmer down before being in front of you and you have the same opportunity. You both know the information and so when he returns home, it's not a sudden surprise and hopefully you two can work it out in a rational, peaceful manner.

Closed Thread