TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Post Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 03:15 PM

Hey all =]

So, we've been given Osmosis as the topic for our final coursework piece (At GCSE Level).

But, in order to get a high grade, you need to work with little or no help from the teacher AND create and carry out your own investigation.

Right, so we're using vegetables in our investigation, and solutions of sugar and water.

So these are the investigations I've thought of;
- Investigating the mass/weight/length of the potato chip - see if different sizes effect the rate of Osmosis.
- Investigating the factors affecting Osmosis/ the rate of Osmosis - Change different factors and see what effects Osmosis the most (eg. Temperature, surface area)
- Investigating the solute content - Change the concentration of a sugar solution and see where the equilibrium is OR investigating what is the maximum amount of sugar/water intake a vegetable can take.

Any type of input would be appreciated =]

Thanks,
Claire x

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lea-x-fallen Offline
.just me.
Average Joe

Name: leanne
Location: in my mind, england, sunny side down, raining side up

Re: Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 04:06 PM

idk what you could do but the first idea sounds the best. anyways good luck

leave me alone i'm not an angel

and i know i'm losing my mind for no real gain

<if you want to get out alive, run for your life>

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 04:13 PM

Investigating the mass/weight/length of the potato chip - see if different sizes effect the rate of Osmosis.

We did this one for a practise before we did the actual experiment as part of our coursework.

For my A Level we investigated Osmosis in Red Blood Cells and concentration of solute. so that's another investigation you could think about.

Osmosis is one of my strongest areas so if you need any other help on it then PM me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackerJackWoop View Post
Hey all =]

So, we've been given Osmosis as the topic for our final coursework piece (At GCSE Level).

But, in order to get a high grade, you need to work with little or no help from the teacher AND create and carry out your own investigation.

Right, so we're using vegetables in our investigation, and solutions of sugar and water.

So these are the investigations I've thought of;
- Investigating the mass/weight/length of the potato chip - see if different sizes effect the rate of Osmosis.
- Investigating the factors affecting Osmosis/ the rate of Osmosis - Change different factors and see what effects Osmosis the most (eg. Temperature, surface area)
- Investigating the solute content - Change the concentration of a sugar solution and see where the equilibrium is OR investigating what is the maximum amount of sugar/water intake a vegetable can take.

Any type of input would be appreciated =]

Thanks,
Claire x
The first option I think is a bit problematic because potato chips are rather uneven in their design, such that they're denser in some areas more than others, they curl up at some areas more than others, etc... . I think it would be hard to control the factors involved in the design.

The other two sound great and I'd say, try to combine the last two together, so see how varying the temperature of the vegetable can affect osmosis, the surface area of the vegetable and so forth, along with seeing the maximum amount the vegetable can take.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 10:16 PM

Investigate how temperature effects osmosis.

use a fixed sample size of potato, do this using a borer (your school should have one). weigh the potato sample to record the mass. Put the potato into a test tube in a solution of distilled water (the water potential will be very high, ie the water should diffuse INTO the potato, and so will increase the mass). Make sure each test tube has the same volume of water and each potato is in for the same length of time (5 mins?). Use a water bath and do the experiment at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 degrees (you should always do at least 5 temperatures). repeat 3 times at each temperture. Remove the potato from the test tube and gentle pat with paper towel. weigh to record the mass. calculate the mass difference and the average mass difference at each temperature. the greater the change in mass, the greater the rate of diffusion.
I can't think of a control. Perhaps the same mass/etc of an inanimate object. Like metal etc.

If you want to do difference concentration of solution, just do the same, but keep it in the same temperature water bath (30 degrees is probably optimum) and use different concentrations of solution - remember to use distilled water as a control.

investigating mass/weight/length - keep same temperature, same concentration solution (prob. best with distilled water) and just change mass/weight/length. Best plan is to use a cork borer as I said for temperature but just use a ruler to change the length

good luck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Science - Osmosis Coursework - January 30th 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
The first option I think is a bit problematic because potato chips are rather uneven in their design, such that they're denser in some areas more than others, they curl up at some areas more than others, etc... . I think it would be hard to control the factors involved in the design.
That's easy, you just use a corker borer into a potato and then use a ruler and scalpel to alter the length..

Closed Thread