TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 3rd 2010, 09:47 PM

http://www.medassistant.org/aboutus.html

I've been wanting a job where I can make some money and I've considered dental or medical assisting... I found this website where you learn online between 6-8 weeks, and you get certified for 645 dollars. You can do three payments and It's actually something I can afford!!! Does this make me elgible for the job or does it only get me partially to a career?

What do you think, I'd be so happy because I'm already taking online classes in college.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 3rd 2010, 09:50 PM

I don't understand. After this course you will be qualified as a medical assistant? After 6 weeks? Check it out, because that seems seriously dodgy.

Also what exactly is a medical assistant? I'm a health care assistant and I was trained in 4 days in physical and mental health, and it was free as part of my job (I actually got paid).

As well what are you studying at college? Do you actually want to be a medical assistant as your job? Why are you considering this?

Seems fishy to me. Personally I wouldn't do it, no.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 3rd 2010, 10:08 PM

how can you get qualified just through an online course? surely you'd need some hands on experience?.. idk

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 3rd 2010, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I just need someone who might know a little more than I do to show me if It's real.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 4th 2010, 01:23 AM

Honestly, I would be very careful about any online program. Particularly, this one does not seem to be connected to any college in the US. I was digging, and the website is based in the British Virgin Islands. Reading further through their information, I found this sentence:

"We are not accredited by any association recognized by CHEA, ASPA, or U.S. Secretary of Education."

That, right there, would be a red flag to me. I'd stick with a well-known US-based online university if you wanted to go that route. Honestly, though, training at a "real life" college would probably look much better to prospective employers.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 4th 2010, 09:41 PM

^^ Yeah don't do it Holly. Seems like its a scam.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Online Medical Assisting/Dental?!? - February 5th 2010, 11:27 PM

It appears to offer things such as virtually collecting blood samples, injecting various medications and so forth. In addition to what BigBL87 found, I looked in the similar area and found this, which really shocked me. What shocked me the most is in bold.

"Again, we are a private international web based correspondence school and have no affiliation with any governmental agency including but not limited to: the United States Board of Education, the US Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), the US Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), the US Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES), the American Medical Assistant Association (AMAA), other governmental agencies and Ministries of Education."

If you want to do medical assisting and dental assisting, I'd suggest you go to a place where it's a) accredited and certified at least with the AMAA and b) hands-on. For this area, you really need to know how to perform injections and blood samples in person on real people. Otherwise, once you've graduated, you may not be allowed to work because you went to a place not certified and you may not know how to do the duties you need to do.

If you really are determined for going to this particular place, then go but I wouldn't.

Closed Thread