TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Honestly, I'm freaking out. - February 21st 2010, 12:35 AM

This is my first thread, so please bear with me if it's a bit unstructured.

Alright. So Wednesday I sent away my "intent to enroll" form. It's a really, really good college and I'm totally psyched that I was accepted; they only enroll about 400 new freshmen a year, so I feel pretty accomplished about that. I know that it's a school where I'll be challenged, and for that I'm very excited. Honestly, I should be having a little happy party over the fact that I get to go to such an amazing school on a full scholarship. But instead I'm scared.

First of all, I'll be going away to college. Normally I wouldn't consider a two hour drive "away" but the school requires all students to live on campus, and prohibits freshmen from owning a vehicle. That means that I'll be leaving behind my family, my boyfriend, my job, and my cat. I know I'll miss my family, and I'm prepared for that. I'm terrified that going away will ruin my relationship, especially because my boyfriend has some trust issues. I absolutely love my job and coworkers, and while I'm sure my boss will allow me to work summers, I'll still miss it. And my cat . . . I've had this cat for 13 years. He's in great health, but we're very attached to each other. I'm scared he'll hate me if I go away, or get depressed and die. Students aren't allowed to keep pets in dorms, and I'm getting very mopey about it.

Besides that, the town the college is in is very, very small. I've actually heard most people refer to it as a village, and most college review sites do mark it as a rural area. It's also a dry town (which is fine by me). On one hand, I'm happy to be going somewhere slow and quiet where I know there won't be any crazy parties. The campus is beautiful, and I'm pleased with their policy of sustainable food. On the other hand, I'm nervous about going to such a small place, where everyone knows everyone. It's a town in the middle of the Bible Belt, and I'm terrified I won't fit in. I don't know anyone there, which leads me to my next point . . .

Originally, one of my best friends and I had planned on rooming together. Unfortunately, she wasn't accepted. Now I'll be sharing an itsy bitsy dorm room with a complete stranger. I'm nervous. Plus, I kind of really want to go to school with my boyfriend, my sister, her boyfriend, my boyfriend's brother . . . just people that I know. My boyfriend will never go to this school. The only reason he was considering going to a four year college instead of technical school was because of me, so I guess it's not really that bad, but I still wish I could go to school with him. But that's more under the relationship category I suppose.

Look, this is turning into a complete rant, so I'm going to end it here. I realize that an education should come first, and that all of these fears are completely normal for this time in my life. I just want to hear someone say it. I need to be told I'm not making a huge mistake, and I need to be told by an unbiased party. Thank you, that is all.

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Honestly, I'm freaking out. - February 21st 2010, 12:52 AM

Hey, there.

The number one thing you need to remember is that your education is the most important thing here. Not rooming with your friends, not missing your cat, nothing. Everyone has to do hard things in their life, and this is just another trial. Take it from me: if you take the good along with the bad, you'll get more out of your college experience. By going to a good college, you're setting yourself up for an easy and happy life. Besides, it's only a two hour drive away from home. Just do it!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Re: Honestly, I'm freaking out. - February 21st 2010, 01:05 AM

Thank you. Thank you very much.

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Honestly, I'm freaking out. - February 22nd 2010, 02:41 PM

Everyone is in the same boat here! You are not alone. Everyone who you're going to meet is going in with similar feelings. Good luck

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: Honestly, I'm freaking out. - February 22nd 2010, 02:42 PM

Definitely go to that school. Like you said, it's a good school. If you're happy with the quality of the school and want to learn there, then go for it! I know that it'll be difficult but you can do it Things will work out. Your boyfriend should support your decision, if he wants what's best for YOU. And your cat will be okay. Just don't forget the little guy :P

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe well never know most of them.
But even if we dont have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

Closed Thread