TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Vehemence Offline
Too cool for a title.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Haha. Jesus.

Lightbulb I 'unno what to do with my life? - February 23rd 2010, 12:44 AM

Throughout the course of my life I've always been an underachiever!
In fact, I'm a devout master at doing nothing.
Ever since I was a child I reviled being a functioning citizen. So much so that I intentionally failed classes to fall into "special ed". Thus allowing me to shirk off more then I already had been.

And currently I'm at a loss of what to do! Most of my life has been spent cheating the system. I've been assured that I'll land in a college of some.. sort. High School isn't a problem - just repeating the same ol' shit that I always do.
Problem is: I don't know what I want to do for a living. I have no real desire to do much of anything.

And at the crown of this mountain of clusterfuckery, I'm simply not motivated. From my perspective it's slaving away your life, wading and drowning in pestilence for green scraps of money so you can be bestowed with the gift of living in a box. Raising kin until you can no longer function and die just like every other fucker out there who thinks they're so unique.

I'd like to be very clear on this, so believe me when I say:

Fuck. That. Shit.

Are there any other options out there? Besides, say, homelessness?

Last edited by Vehemence; February 23rd 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Ask again and I'll edit your face.
  Send a message via AIM to Vehemence  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: I 'unno what to do with my life? - February 23rd 2010, 01:00 AM

College isn't just for people who have their whole lives planned out. In fact, it's very common to be a freshman or sophomore in College and have no idea what you want to do. School counselors say that people change their major several times before settling for one. Don't be intimidated about college if you don't know what to do with your life...that's not a valid enough reason to not want to go. If you go to college and get the basic classes done (such as math, science, etc)...then you'll have more time to find out what you want to do with your life. If you want to be homeless, don't go back to school. If you want to have a career in something, then you've already got a year or so on your belt...just continue what you're doing and you're good!

The problem with the economy is that you either have money, or you don't. Money is pretty important, but if you don't want to live around money...you could very well be homeless. Regardless, SOMETHING is going to happen. If you don't do something with your life, you may very well end up being homeless (even if you didn't want to be). You don't need to go to college to be successful in life, but having a degree with give you more "green scraps of money" to spend whatever you want on...on average. There are successful people without degrees, but even they had to have some kind of motivation to get where they are in the first place.

Hell, you could even go to boot camp. Boot camp does some good too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I 'unno what to do with my life? - February 23rd 2010, 06:20 AM

The world revolves around money so sooner or later, as much as you may hate it, your choice comes down to do something (ideally legal) to get money or be homeless. One of my friends in university as well as in high-school sounds much like you although he didn't end up going to special ed. because he did try just enough to avoid that. Point is, once in first-year university he did diddly shit, he took some courses and if he didn't fail them, he hardly passed because he didn't bother to try. In second year (re-doing first-year courses and doing some second-year courses), he found what he loved and has a natural talent for: computer science and programming.

Perhaps you won't find yourself loving the same subject but eventually you'll find a subject you love and you study it because it interests you, even though you cannot yet apply it in a job as you haven't learned enough. Eventually when it comes time to put your Bachelor's (or Master's or Doctorate) to good use, you'll enjoy the work as well as enjoy the money you make. Sometimes though, people don't find what they truly like because they haven't looked enough or tried to get to study it, so they end up doing a boring old job that involves mindless repeatitive tasks. That's possible but if you like what you study, you'll hopefully like the job that involves it, even if it means getting more degrees to do so.

Alternatively, you could become an entrepreneur or inventor, both of which don't need degrees but the odds of getting rich in this economy aren't so hot.

Closed Thread