TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 23rd 2010, 01:57 PM

Well i currently have a job, i'm a temp so i finish in May and to be honest i can't wait. I've been doing some serious thinking about what kind of job i would actually like to do. After having this job i've realized i can't just have a job for the money, it doesn't equal happiness. I've been so unhappy and emotional since i started this job, it's not healthy.

Anyway after thinking and researching, and thinking some more i finally found what i want to do, which was right under my nose in the first place. I just didnt see it. I want to work in childcare, preferabley with children aged 5 and under, so pre-school age. I want to do the apprenticeship, get a qualification and have a steady job which i enjoy and i don't mind getting up for. There's been countless mondays over the past few months where i've cried because have to set foot in this place for yet another week. It sucks. I have younger cousins all aged 5 and under with another one coming in August, i'm so excited! I've been told by both family and family friends that i'm good with kids and after thinking about it i thought if i'm good with kids, and i enjoy being around them then why not look into it as a career?

Also, instead of rushing into it like i did when i took media back when i restarted college. I've been thinking about it, talking it over with my boyfriend who was very supportive, and a couple of friends who well, weren't so supportive but whatever. And i'm still thinking about it now, i'm not ruling the possibility of me changing my mind come May time, but i really hope i don't.

Anyway, i've rambled on a bit, now to the problem. The only thing that worries me, is that if i do end up doing an apprenticeship and working in a nursery (plus 1 day of college a week), i'll end up hating it, like i did with my second year of college when i restarted and took media. Or i'll lose interest or something. I'm hoping i do stick with it, because i do feel passionate about the prospect of working with children, i feel excited at the thought of it, not like with Media where i just took it as a whim and hoped for the best, i enjoyed it at first but before the end of the first year i had left. I reallyyy don't want that to happen with this if it happens.

It will be different to college, i'd be working and learning. Earning a minimum of 95 a week and only attending college once a week. If i knew about apprenticeships when i was 16, i probably would have done this when i left school instead of going to college. But i've always had a habit of not sticking things out when it comes to learning, since i did my GCSE's at school i sorta gave up on learning, gcse's just took it out of me.

I just don't want to waste my time or anyone elses time by taking a course and getting fed up with it after a couple of months. I don't feel like i will but because of what i've been like in the past i'm worried that i might end up doing that at some point. :\

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 23rd 2010, 02:31 PM

if you can get a day or two off work, why not try and volunteer at a nursery? Work shadow, see what its like to be in that environment for a while, and most of all, see the good and bad, and if you enjoy it.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 25th 2010, 12:21 PM

I can't really volunteer anywhere atm because of my current job, i work 5 days a week and only have the weekends really and most nurserys are only open mon-fri. But thanks for the reply its something to think about when in May if i don't have another job lined up/theres no apprenticeships available in my area.

It is something i really want to do and that i think i will enjoy i'm just a bit worried that i won't keep up with the college work side of things, because its work assesment too i don't think there will be as much written work as there was when i did media at college (it was an all coursework course) but i know there will be written work and it won't be easy. Also because its something i am interested in i think i'll be a lot more interested in completing the work as well.

I think if i do go through with it i'm gonna have to push myself to keep up with it all. If anyone else has done/is doing an apprenticeship of any kind and has some sort of experience any advice would be helpful.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 25th 2010, 01:52 PM

I think if you have the passion for it, you should just do it. And you won't know whether you can handle it unless you try it. I have the same career idea as you. I want to work with children and get an apprenticeship in childcare, but they're so difficult to find!

I started off going to college for childcare, and I went on a work placement every other week, so I know I enjoy it. I just don't like college, so I left. That's why I'm trying to find an apprenticeship. But they really hard very hard to find, unless you have any advice on that?

But I think that if you can find an apprenticeship in childcare for when you finish your current job in may, you should definately go for it. Working with children, you need to have a lot of passion for it. And just thinking about going for a career in childcare shows that you have that passion!

Try and research it a bit more, and maybe speak to someone, family and friends, or someone professional like a careers advisor. You won't know if you'll like it for definate if you don't try it. So I just think you should bite the bullet and go for it. It'll be worth it in the end because working with young children is so rewarding!

Good luck in making this decision. And if you want any advice, or someone to talk to about working with young children, feel free to PM me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jack

Re: I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 25th 2010, 03:20 PM

If you believe that you're that passionate about it then I think that you should certainly give it a try because you'll never know until you actually give it a shot. I personally believe that it's much better to have tried something and found out how you really feel about it rather than spending your life thinking what if.

I hope that you're able to decide what you want to do and I hope that I managed to help in some way or another, good luck!
  Send a message via MSN to Jack.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I think i know what i wanna do but i'm scared. - February 27th 2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Taylalatbh I usually use the apprenticeships website( http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/ ). You can search and apply online for apprenticeships in your area, its pretty useful. I check it quite a lot just in case one pops up, but there aren't really any at the moment. I'm not sure if you use this website or not but you asked for advice on finding apprenticeships and this is all i could think of.

Closed Thread