TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Question Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 7th 2010, 08:30 PM

Alright, so I'm american and have only ever visited London for a week. I'm graduating with a BA in History this May and looking for veterinary colleges. I think I've narrowed it down to The Royal Veterinary College in Scotland or the Royal Veterinary College of Ireland as my top two choices. Third is a college about 2 hours south of where I live in the USA. However, I don't know anything about living or going to school in the UK.

I know there are quite a few th kids out there who are from the UK, can any of you offer me insight on what living in either Glascow or Dublin would be like? What kind of culture could I expect, what sorts of things are generally expected of graduate students in the UK? How hard is it to find part-time work in either of these cities?

thanks for the help yall.

~Anna~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 7th 2010, 08:42 PM

Glasgow is a brilliant city which offers everything you could possibly like! My best friend applied there for vet med this year and we went to look around the University and the city -- really loved it. [

Are you sure that you've understood the course properly? It's not called the Royal Veterinary College, the RVC is in London. There is also (as far as I'm aware) no graduate entry vet programme, so you'd be doing the 5 year undergraduate course. There will be some graduates on the course, but you'd be with mostly 18 year old students who have just left school. I imagine this is the case in Ireland too.

Veterinary Medicine is the most competitive course to get into in the UK (only 7 Universities run the course), and there are a fixed (limited) number of international places. Your grades will have to be higher than the requirement and the general concensus that you need a minimum of 3 months worth of work experience. So good luck!

I don't know much about living in Glasgow as I'm not there. But it should not be too difficult to find a job, it's a big city. I know that for medicine they don't recommend that you have a job past your first year though, it may be the same for vet med, as the workload is really intense and you'll be out on placements.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by Pandamonium; July 14th 2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Part of post removed at user request

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 7th 2010, 08:49 PM

Please also be aware, if you ever plan to come back to the USA to work, your degree might not transfer over. In fact, in a lot of cases they don't. So you need to contact the programs you are interested in and then contact employers you are interested in working with and find out if they will higher you with a degree from outside the country.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 7th 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Please also be aware, if you ever plan to come back to the USA to work, your degree might not transfer over. In fact, in a lot of cases they don't. So you need to contact the programs you are interested in and then contact employers you are interested in working with and find out if they will higher you with a degree from outside the country.
They are both accredited with the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association), so the degree can easily be used in the USA without any need to take additional examinations or any hassle at all really! She has done her homework

Even things like UK medical degrees can be approved for use in the USA by taking 3 examinations with relative ease. This is the beauty of degrees in subjects such as veterinary medicine, medicine, nursing (especially from the UK) -- it's very easy to travel with them.

It's fine to have one.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 10th 2010, 12:24 AM

First off, hey Rachel!!! It's been a while...I think last time I talked to you on here I was under the name concrete angel....anyway, HI!!!!

Second, thanks for all the good information, both of you. Yes, I had already checked to see that they were AVMA credited because I do want to return to the USA at some point....long way off though.

Rachel, I was confused about the school names. I've got them straight now. I think the school Im most interested in is the one in Glascow with a close second the one in London. I've completed four years of undergraduate study, but will have a BA degree in History come this May. I've taken many biology courses and after the summer will have finished entrence course requierments for all three UK schools as well as ones in the USA. I know that the UK system is a bit different than the US one, but I'm really not worried about being in class with 18 year olds...maybe for once i'll feel smarter than just about everyone in my class...nice turn on the norm! I've got over 4 years of practical experience in a country veterinary practice so I should be good there as well. My grades are fair - good enough to get me in I hope. And I am really well rounded as I did study abroad trips in both Russia and Kenya. I think I should have at least a fighting chance of being accepted to any school I apply to...I know the stakes are really high, so thats why I'm applying lots of places. I was told that no mater how good you look to a vet. med. program, if they have already filled all the slots with other people who look good then I'll be out of luck...

Anyhoo...thanks again both of you for the insight!

~Anna~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Graduate school! Yikes!!! - March 10th 2010, 05:01 PM

Awesome hello! All these username changes confuse me, I have no idea who anyone is

Anyway yes APPLY TO GLASGOW! It's such a nice University and everyone is really friendly,Removed at user request

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by Pandamonium; July 14th 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Closed Thread