TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Introduction for an essay? - March 14th 2010, 04:17 AM

I have to write an essay about spending a day with a historical figure. I chose to write about Marilyn Monroe. I really need to do good on this essay because its worth most of my grade and if I dont do good on it I'll fail the class. I'm kinda freaking out because its due monday and I'm just now starting it. I'm really bad at writing introduction paragraphs espcially when I'm this stressed out, so any ideas on what to write for it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Introduction for an essay? - March 14th 2010, 05:12 AM

What I always did in school was write the introduction last. It's hard to introduce something that doesn't exist yet right?
Make sure that in your introduction you have one sentence describing what you'll be talking about in each paragraph (except the conclusion). So if you have 3 paragraphs you should have 3 sentences for them. You should also have at least one sentence describing your topic.

Can't really think of anything else, I haven't been in high school for a long time
Good luck!

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Introduction for an essay? - March 14th 2010, 07:58 AM

For my English class and most of the other English classes at my school, we start off our intro with a quote pertaining to the topic at hand (be sure to document the quote correctly if you do this). Our next sentence is usually a transition from the quote to the text, but since you're not doing an essay on a book you'd connect the quote to Marilyn Monroe. The next sentence or two are pretty much saying what you're going to talk about for the rest of the essay, and the last sentence should be some sort of thesis statement. There are lots and lots of resources online you can find to help you figure out the structure of your intro and make sure they're strong, so be sure to take advantage of them.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Introduction for an essay? - March 14th 2010, 08:23 AM

I tend to write the introduction last. I may make a few basic points in the beginning but then I write the body and conclusion, then return to do the introduction. The introduction, especially the thesis sentence is meant to tell the reader what your essay is on and give some background detail that eventually becomes specific to the topic. It's easiest to do this when everything is written up.

Closed Thread