TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 03:44 AM

I've been going nuts for the past year or so, trying to decide where I want to go to university. I have to make my final selection in May but I would like to have a decision soon because there is a lot more I need to look into once I accept an offer (i.e., residence, course selection, etc.) Plus, it'll just put my mind at ease knowing I have a decision and it'll give me time to learn to live with my decision and see if I'm happy with it.

I've narrowed my choices down to two. This is a huge accomplishment for me, you don't even know. They are both the same schools, but one is the Main campus and one is an affiliate campus. They both have their pros and cons - which is why it's driving me nuts. I'll explain briefly below:

Main Campus
I love this campus so very much. I want the "traditional" university experience, with the big (not really big, but a good size) campus and a ton of new people to meet. I believe there are 33,000 students at Main campus. Their residences are amazing. The social reputation of this university is amazing. There are so many courses to choose from! I'm also getting a $10,000 scholarship from them ($2,500 per year for four years). To keep the scholarship, I need to maintain an 80% average - which is not entirely difficult and plus, I need to maintain an 80% average to stay in my program anyway. It seems like an amazing place to be and I really love it.

Affiliate Campus
This campus is okay. It's about a five minute drive (maybe less) from the Main Campus and there are buses that constantly run from the affiliate to the Main campus and vice-versa. There are only 3,500 students or so that attend this campus and as a result, classes are smaller and there are significantly less people living in residence. Some say that small classes are good because it's easy to get to know people in your classes and interact with your professors. They are also giving me a scholarship of $19,000 ($5,500 first year and $4,500 for years two, three, and four if I keep up an 85% average). The only concern I have with this scholarship is that it's very difficult to maintain an 85% average. I may also be eligible for other scholarships but I'm not sure yet. If I graduate from the affiliate, it will be a degree from the university (same as main campus) but it will indicate that I attended the affiliate - and I don't know if that will hurt me in any way.

This may seem really confusing and it is! There are pros and cons to both schools and I just want the decision to be clear. Unfortunately it's not. I am not a heavy partier and care about my marks. I want to do well, academically, in university but I also want to have a good time and maintain a balance between my social life and my academics.

This decision has been consuming my thoughts and I just want a decision. Both are good options but I just don't want to regret anything

Thanks a lot. If you need more info/have any questions, post below or even send me a PM.

SUP BRO.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 02:52 PM

Hey Sabrina!

Honestly, if it was me, I'd be going for the Main Campus. It just seems to be like you'd have a much better experience and also you'd be under less stress due to the scholarship only requiring an 80% average as opposed to 85% and it seems more attainable. Is there one that you keep coming back to? One you just feel more drawn to for some reason? It's usually best to go with your gut instinct!

Good luck with deciding. I'm sure you'll do great either way.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 03:24 PM

I keep deciding on Main campus but for a few reasons, I keep reconsidering the affiliate. The reasons:

- the affiliate offers more scholarship money
- I *heard* it was easier to get higher marks at the affiliates but I doubt that's true
- it's easy to talk to profs/get reference letters and stuff

and yeah, lol.

SUP BRO.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 03:58 PM

Personally, I would go for the main campus as well. I've never had problems getting help from profs and TAs when I needed it, even at a big campus. And as Nicola said, it's less stress for you as well. If the money's really an issue, I can see going for the affiliate, but otherwise I'd go for the main campus.

Either way though, good luck! I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience regardless.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 05:25 PM

Well, you know what I think about this situation but since my school is not an option anymore, I would say the main campus. I had this same problem last year deciding between the school I am at now and it's affiliate. Thought smaller class sizes are appealing I really enjoy the feel of a larger lecture, not to mention most first year classes either have seminars where you're in groups of about 20 students and you go over what you learned in lecture or you have a lot of TA's and they are very accessible. It's also a lot easier than you may think to get in touch and get help from a professor. Of course you may have the few professors that want as little to do with the students as possible and end up leaving everything to the TA's but that will happen wherever you go. Keeping up an 80% average is harder than you may think, and depending on who you have as a professor and how they/ the TA's mark it can be a lot of work. It's also not easier to get good marks at an affilate, lol.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#6 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 05:33 PM

Stacey,

Your university is so cheap when it comes to scholarships! The reason why I've ruled them out is because they only offered $3,000 =/

Last year, when you were trying to decide, did the affiliate offer you larger scholarships? I think I like the idea of main campus MUCH more but...the affiliate is offering so much money

SUP BRO.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 05:43 PM

No, I only got 2,000 from my school and the affiliate offered me 1,000. I got offered a lot more from the school I was considering in Nova Scotia, but as much as I needed the money I thought it was better for me to go to a school known for having one of the top Psychology programs and an excellent research field. I think I know what school you're considering and honestly go to the main campus, I think you're going to enjoy it more being there, it's a beautiful campus and I find it very similar to my school. I know you're getting offered more from the affiliate but you don't know how you're going to find the course and workload and it's much easier to work for that 80% than it is the 85%, 5% is a huge thing in university and even getting an 80% first year is something that's not very common, I mean the averages in my courses range from like 55 - 78, and it usually has a mode somewhere in the 60s. I honestly think you will be able to meet more people and enjoy yourself more at the main campus.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Decision for university - March 15th 2010, 11:25 PM

To be honest, it sounds like you want to go to the Main campus, so go for it. Yes there are reasons why you should chose the affiliate campus but I think you have your heart set on the main campus, go where you will be happy.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Closed Thread