TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Question Im not sure which would be better? - March 20th 2010, 01:17 AM

Well for high school i have to choose bewteen taking AP classes or Dual enrollement classes and ive heard mixxed things about both from most of my teachers.Im not sure which to take, if one is better then the other or such
Does any one know what im talking about?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Im not sure which would be better? - March 31st 2010, 02:07 PM

Hey Lil!
I can't personally say I've ever had any experience with either AP or Duel Enrollment classes, but it might help to talk to past students who have taken either, if possible! It might be better than talking to the teachers, since the students will have actually taken the classes and will be able to tell you how they handled them and such.
Good luck with choosing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Im not sure which would be better? - March 31st 2010, 02:26 PM

From my understanding, AP is what allows you to get actual college credits and you stay in your high school, where as dual enrollment you are going to your high school for class AND a college campus. This also depends on how your school handles dual enrollment.

Find out the facts about each option, weigh the pro/con, and go with what feels best to you.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Im not sure which would be better? - April 12th 2010, 10:25 PM

I know that at my school dual enrollment was simply all about paperwork and you KNEW that the credits transfered. If this is the case with you, I would highly recommend trying it. But APs also give you good experiences for college, but all in all it's up to you Best of luck!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Im not sure which would be better? - April 13th 2010, 04:08 AM

I did some AP courses in high-school and some were pretty helpful for university, even though I'm not currently pursuing some of the courses that some of the AP courses were (i.e. AP physics and AP calculus), it helped with showing the amount of work I'd need to put in for university. It also looks quite good on the transcript, especially when you have fairly high marks in them but even if you don't, it's understood the course will be harder so getting lower marks is more reasonable.

I never did dual-enrollment and the main reason was, other than my school not offering it, I'd have to commute to two campuses. With AP courses, I could do the university material at the high-school campus without needing to commute back and forth. At the place where the high-school was, traffic could get pretty busy and so I would need to schedule the classes properly and may have a weird schedule.

The disadvantage about AP courses is for the credit to be transferred, you'd need to do an additional exam that's standardized for that particular AP course. You'd then need to get a score high enough to be transferred, otherwise the credit isn't transferred. You still learn the content and have it taught at a higher level but on paper, it doesn't show that. For dual-enrollment, this is not a problem, providing of course you don't fail the course. But this is actually kind of good because this exam is optional and if you don't write it, no harm done, you can still use that knowledge and experience in university.

Also, I'm not sure on this but the cost for dual-enrollment may exceed that of the AP course although I suppose this depends on the college/university.

Closed Thread