TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 05:49 AM

i'm currently in 6.1 [year 12] but i've missed a lot of the year so far and i've decided with my college that i'm going to repeat the year from september. but i want to change my subjects.

i'm currently doing,

English Language
Sociology
Government & Politics

i HATE gov&pol and need to drop it. i'm happy with sociology and english language so will most likely be sticking with those two. but i'm having a bit of trouble deciding what i want to do for my third subject. there isn't really anything that stands out to me that i really want to do but i have to pick something so these are the only reasonable options really;

Business Studies AQA - did it for GCSE, found it boring but i've heard it's better at A level.
History '20th Century' EDEXCEL - again, did history GCSE and enjoyed it but i've heard it's a LOT harder at A level?
ICT OCR - got and A at GCSE, is 60% coursework. heard it's very boring though? and very difficult to get a good grade.. don't know if that's true. :/
Psychology AQA - how much science is involved? i wouldn't be too keen if it's overly science-based.

also.. a few other random possibilities.

Film WJEC - sounds a bit too good to be true that you can get an A level in film studies, eh, not as simple as it sounds i guess? and also, apparently it's seen as a joke subject by most universities.
English Literature AQA spec B - don't really know what it involves other than it's lots of reading. have been told it's not the best idea to do both english subjects though.

basically.. as you can see i'm clueless. i have a meeting next week where they want me to have thought through my options and say what i'm thinking of doing. [nothing to be set in stone yet, obviously..] but yeah.. anyone who has studied any of these subjects or anything else that i haven't thought of please give me some input! which subject do you think it will be easiest to do well in?

also i know most people do 4 AS levels but it's not an option for me so please don't suggest that.

thanks guys.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 06:35 AM

I have friends who did History A level, and to be honest they all hated it and said it was horribly hard ... might be different from different points of view I guess but that's just what I've heard.
I did Pscyhology A level with AQA and LOVED it!! It's a bit sciency at points, because you have to do some physiological psychology ... brain and neuro stuff. But a lot of it is social and developmental and full of mental experiments people did - very interesting!
I also had a few friends who did film and loved it, got high grades etc. But yes, they did find that universities didn't take it very seriously.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 07:52 AM

I do Psychology but it's OCR. I did look at the AQA specification though because I thought that's the one we're doing. I wouldn't say a lot of Science is involved but there's a bit although I don't think it's overly complicated.

Film and Media are often something that are seen as 'easy' subjects so are black listed by a lot of universities unless you actually want a film and media degree.

Are you planning on going to university? If so, maybe start to look at courses and see what subjects you want for the courses that interest you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 12:53 PM

I did AQA ict at a - level and like you've said it is EXTREMLY boring... My advice would be that if you don't want a computing job or etc then don't do it.. Lol x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 04:33 PM

Heyy.

I did psychology with AQA and it's not overly science based. I'm soooo bad at science I just about managed to pass science at GCSE with a C, so yeah, I hate the subject but I LOVED psychology, and in some ways I even wish I'd taken it to degree level. From a personal perspective there was only one module that I struggled with, that was the one on stress, it's been like 2 years since I did it so I can't remember the formal name But yeah, you have to learn about some of the brain parts and different levels of chemicals in the brain, but if you take time to go over it a few times in your own time, it does sink in, I managed to get my head round it

I liked it more in the second year then the first so definatly try and stick with it, I totally enjoyed it. It is hard work and you need a good memory because you have to learn about key stuides and you need to remember specific things about them and there is quite a lot, but if you're prepared to work at it, it's worth it. It's an A level that won't ever be wasted.

Also, I found a brilliant revision guide for AS psychology thats colourful and has pictures [not a lot of them do ], and it puts things dead simply, so I could route out the name for that if you want to look it up, that'll give you an idea what sorts of things you'll be looking at. The book is really thin as well so its not overwhelming

Drop me a PM if you want anymore info! Good luck with your decision, let me know what you decide

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 04:41 PM

I chose both business studies and history for A level, but I dropped business after AS. I found business studies to be a lot more boring than it was in GCSE, to be honest. We did a course that was quite heavy on coursework and I just got bored with it very quickly. I really liked history last year as I found the topics we did interesting (Women's Rights, Black History and Vietnam) and quite simple to understand apart from Vietnam. I absolutely love History this year, we're doing the Rise of Nazism and Irish History. I think that if you are considering history, it's very important to ask about what you're specifically learning about. The difficulty really does depend on the period... for example, I found womens rights/black history very easy and interesting but when learning about Korea and Vietnam, I was completely lost. I don't think it's that much harder than GCSE really apart from there's more to learn about - I don't think the concepts are actually too difficult to grasp.

It might be a good idea to talk to each subject teacher and ask to see some examples of the work you do in the subjects?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantine View Post
I chose both business studies and history for A level, but I dropped business after AS. I found business studies to be a lot more boring than it was in GCSE, to be honest. We did a course that was quite heavy on coursework and I just got bored with it very quickly. I really liked history last year as I found the topics we did interesting (Women's Rights, Black History and Vietnam) and quite simple to understand apart from Vietnam. I absolutely love History this year, we're doing the Rise of Nazism and Irish History. I think that if you are considering history, it's very important to ask about what you're specifically learning about. The difficulty really does depend on the period... for example, I found womens rights/black history very easy and interesting but when learning about Korea and Vietnam, I was completely lost. I don't think it's that much harder than GCSE really apart from there's more to learn about - I don't think the concepts are actually too difficult to grasp.

It might be a good idea to talk to each subject teacher and ask to see some examples of the work you do in the subjects?
i found out what's in the history syllabus.

First Year: Stalin’s Russia, 1924-53; Mao’s China, 1949-76; and British History Depth Studies: Britain & the Nationalist Challenge in India, 1900-1947.

In the second year you will look at how, in the space of only 45 years, Germany went from an autocracy under the Kaiser to a democracy and finally a dictatorship under Hitler. In addition you will study the Cold War, and will have an opportunity to pursue an individual study on an aspect of this period of conflict, tension and competition between the USA and the Soviet Union and their allies.

doesn't sound too bad. the Germany under Kaiser/Hitler bit should be fine because that's basically what i did at GCSE. but eh, i'm not sure. Psychology sounds pretty good from what you guys have said. If i emailed the head of Psychology at my college do you think he/she would have a meeting with me to talk about it?. might do that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

i found out what's in the history syllabus.

First Year: Stalinís Russia, 1924-53; Maoís China, 1949-76; and British History Depth Studies: Britain & the Nationalist Challenge in India, 1900-1947.

In the second year you will look at how, in the space of only 45 years, Germany went from an autocracy under the Kaiser to a democracy and finally a dictatorship under Hitler. In addition you will study the Cold War, and will have an opportunity to pursue an individual study on an aspect of this period of conflict, tension and competition between the USA and the Soviet Union and their allies.

doesn't sound too bad. the Germany under Kaiser/Hitler bit should be fine because that's basically what i did at GCSE. but eh, i'm not sure. Psychology sounds pretty good from what you guys have said. If i emailed the head of Psychology at my college do you think he/she would have a meeting with me to talk about it?. might do that.
Oooh your history syllabus sounds so interesting compared to my school's, history at my school is really boring from what my friends said they were doing =/

I'd say the head of Psychology would meet with you if you asked her, on the AQA website there's also the specification you can look at

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 08:39 PM

I'd say the head of psychology would meet up with you! I'm sure they'd be keen to get as many people on board doing psychology as they can

Have you looked on the AQA website? You could look at the specification of the psychology modules, that way you can see what sort of thing you'd be learning about. I'm jealous, I want to do psychology A level again There are so many modules though and the school only pick a certain amount a year, so although I did certain ones doesn't mean you'll do that same. I reckon some are pretty standard though!

Good luck with your decision

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 09:00 PM

Definately meet the head of Psychology!! Let us know how it goes!!
And what Jess said abut the stress one ... that's the one I meant was a bit sciency and I found hardest as well. Luckily there's not too much of it

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level advice.. - March 25th 2010, 09:34 PM

What i think i might do is..

start with 4 subjects and then drop whichever one i enjoy the least/find more difficult after a few weeks. Because ultimately i only want to do 3 subjects. hmm.

That way i won't be stuck with a subjects that i absolutely hate once i start it. [assuming i don't hate both of them.]

Closed Thread