TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bookwork Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Full timework and college - March 28th 2010, 12:22 AM

Right now I'm an 18 year old college freshman who goes to school full time, works part time, and still lives at home. Due to recent events, (I'm not t liberty to talk about), I'm considering moving out and working full time.

Is this a good idea? I don't want to have to stop being a full time student but is possible to work full time and still be a full time college student?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Full timework and college - March 28th 2010, 04:43 AM

To be honest, its up to you. If you can, and feel safe enough, I would recommend staying home since its free (as far as I know) and you can still concentrate on your studies, but when you're done college, and can work full time without having classes, then you should think about moving out. But really, its up to you

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Full timework and college - March 28th 2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwork View Post
Right now I'm an 18 year old college freshman who goes to school full time, works part time, and still lives at home. Due to recent events, (I'm not t liberty to talk about), I'm considering moving out and working full time.

Is this a good idea? I don't want to have to stop being a full time student but is possible to work full time and still be a full time college student?
If moving out is something you do want to consider, I would suggest that working part-time would be the better option simply because, you will have to take on more responsibility living outside of the house. Doing all the household chores yourself rather than sharing them among the members in your household can really take up your time from either work or school. School in itself is a full-time job commitment. I do believe that it is possible to do both, but I would not recommend it to anyone because you have so much to do. School should be the first priority for you right now in my opinion. Perhaps finding a job working less than full time hours (I would assume full time is 40 hours for you) would be a better option if it takes away from your school. I worked 21 hours a week while doing a full courseload at school. Working and doing well in school can definitely be done but obviously full-time work with full-time school demands much more commitment and focus while living outside of your family's household.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Full timework and college - March 28th 2010, 08:31 AM

If you work full-time and are a full-time student, your work hours may interfere with your classes but if it doesn't, then you're limiting when you have to study a lot. That's ignoring the fact you need to do shopping, make food, do laundry, pay bills, etc... if you live away from home. First-year is where about half the people drop out so I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to move out that badly, then try to get a part-time job where you work only certain days so you have ample time to make it to classes and to study.

I'm not sure if you've considered it or if it's even in your budget but try living on residence if you want to live away from home. It makes the food and pretty much every other duty a lot easier, you can have people to study with (useful when working a lot so they can give you detailed summaries of the chapters and concepts), etc... .

Staying home is obviously the cheapest and cuts down lots of the hassle of food-making and such and I find it to be very useful but if not, then I'd go for residence and maybe part-time work.

Closed Thread