TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Job or travel? - March 30th 2010, 02:38 PM

Yet another dilema.

So It's now the end of march. I start uni in october. Which gives me 6 months left of my gap year.

I've done some travelling. But i really really want to do one more trip- 6-8 weeks in thailand. If i do that, i'll feel like i actually had a really worthwile gap year. And i have the money saved.

On the other hand. Taking that time out- end of may to end of july... means i'm going to struggle even more with a job. Like I had an interview today- but i would need to start asap and work right until october. And it's only 2 days a week. But a chance of being transferred at uni.

So basically. Do i get a job and work all the way to uni. Or do I just do odd day jobs like babysitting and tempwork- which is enough for day to day living but no saving- then travel for a couple of months... then try and find work over the summer...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Job or travel? - March 30th 2010, 03:01 PM

I would work and travel during Uni holidays. Unless your parents are either very rich or very poor you will need the money to pay for things like food, which is kind of essential. Remember that you will get like 3 months off.

And personally I would get a second part time job on top of that.. I will be working like full time from June to when I start uni. Don't underestimate how much money you will need to live!

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Job or travel? - March 30th 2010, 03:12 PM

I dont think i will be too bad for uni. I will get full maintence grant. Have 10,000 savings... and get an nhs bursary of like 4000 each year. I'll deff work during uni holidays to top up, and part time during term.

But my question only applies to the rest of my gap year... do i get a job- baring in mind its only like 15hrs a week... or do i travel then get a summer job?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Job or travel? - March 30th 2010, 07:11 PM

Well as you're going to be loaded at uni I would travel. But having lived in Thailand I can tell you it's not safe as a woman to travel there alone. Especially as you won't know the people/ culture. Go with someone.

Finance defintley does matter tho bc if you were going to be in my position next year, ie my loan won't even cover my rent, then going travelling wouldn't be a sensible option.

EDIT: just thought about it more and I wouldn't go travelling now. I would wait until uni holidays for several reasons. 1) you have just got back from travelling so don't really needs the break/whatever, whereas after a year if uni you probably will do 2) lots of people will arrange to go travelling in the summer after first year and you may find yourself wanting, but financially unable, to go as well 3) you'll meet great friends at uni that you can have loads of fun with and get to know better.

So I personally would work and save more money. And have something to look forward to next summer to help you get through your first year.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Job or travel? - March 31st 2010, 06:20 PM

I would save money and plan to travel after university.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#6 (permalink)) Old
jerrinemitchell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Job or travel? - April 6th 2010, 04:46 AM

I would finish my studies first till that time i will be saving a good amount of money to go on a long vacation. I am also find of vacation which is great.

Closed Thread