TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Question Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 03:58 AM

Hey I'm thinking of taking some online courses this summer to get ahead on classes, has anyone here taken them? If so what are your thoughts on them? Do you have any suggestions on how to do well with them? Were you able to do other things while taking them? How many did you take/what amount would you suggest someone take? Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 04:19 AM

I've taken an online course before. Just when you are doing your work make sure you stay focused. Shut your bedroom door, reduce your background noise level to a minimum.. it helps you focus better. I don't have much advice but i just wanted to wish you good luck Megan.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 05:46 AM

I've taken online courses before too. They can be great, but you really need to make sure you stay focused on what you're doing, it's very very easy to be distracted, especially with the internet so close by!

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 03:01 PM

I've taken online courses and classes at the college at the same time, and tbh I would much rather actually go to class. There is a lot more work and studying required with an online course. There is no "teaching." You read and do a ton of coursework and turn it in to be graded. It always took them forever to grade it, and hardly ever got a response back if I had a question. I spent hours per class a week and took multiple courses. To me it was a hassle. And I honestly feel like I didn't learn much from taking them either.

But to each there own really. I didn't go to the greatest college either, so some might be better than others. I think if going to college isnt an option, then online courses are a perfectly fine substitute.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 04:13 PM

I'm in an online course right now, and it's horrible for me because I have no self-motivation.

My sister, on the other hand, has done almost all of her classes online, and has done phenomenal.

So it really just depends on if you're the kind of person who can just sit down, and do the work.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 05:21 PM

I'm taking two right now. Human Development and Sociology. I like them a lot. We use a program called "blackboard" and it's kind of like a Facebook or Myspace to do your homework. I wouldn't advise taking a difficult class online though. But I don't feel like driving to another town and parking, walking, walking back when I don't have to.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 05:36 PM

I take online courses as an alternative to going to high school. I really like taking online classes because I work better on my own. I think it's some site called Aventa learning or Aventa blackboard or something like that? Anyway. In the classes that I'm taking, I read through the section and take notes (I usually have notepad open on my computer). In the program that I'm in, there are discussion boards and you occasionally you have to answer the teacher's questions in a thread on the discussion board.

What I do wrong when I'm doing school: I get distracted with TH and Facebook. I would advise that you don't have any other windows or tabs with "fun" websites open because before you know it you'll be over there instead of doing your work! (Actually, I'm procrastinating as we speak.) Also, don't have any loud music or the TV on, it's best to work in complete silence or else you get further distracted.

Since I do my online classes as an alternative to actually going to school, I don't know how many classes would be best for you. If you want a good amount of free time, I would suggest not doing more than two. The classes have a lot more work than a regular school would. So don't sign up for a bunch of classes. It will be extremely stressful and you won't have time to do much else! If you have around two classes then you can work on it for a couple hours a day and then you're done for the day.

I wish you the best

Last edited by Spellbound; April 21st 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Typo
  Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Online courses? - April 21st 2010, 10:33 PM

Hey there,

My best friend tried doing online courses, but it was really hard for her to stay focus for it, and be able to buckle down and do it. But if you have a lot of self motivation then you should do fine.

Brittany.

ďYou are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.Ē

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#9 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: Online courses? - April 27th 2010, 01:19 PM

I'm taking Abnormal Psych online right now. I hate it, personally. All you do is read the stupid textbook, which gets very irritating after awhile. I just don't have the self motivation to do it, and I get very distracted. I would so much rather go sit in a class, you don't even know.

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Online courses? - April 27th 2010, 01:58 PM

If you are a really dedicated person who can sit down and do hours of work without being distracted, its perfect. But I tried taking the courses and I can not dedicate myself to doing them. Actually getting up and going to class works much better for me. But when I am on my computer at home, I will end up on Facebook or TH. And I ended up dropping my online. I just can’t do it. So, it depends on what kind of person you are.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Online courses? - April 28th 2010, 07:46 AM

Have you thought of taking one online course and one at a campus? That is what I am going to be doing this summer and my hope is that in going to a class on Campus my motivation for the online class will be there. I notice that when I don't have a class during the day I sit at home and do nothing but if I have a class my motivation gets all vamped up and I do extra work. Maybe a balance would help keep you motivated? And, also, if you decided that the online courses were not going to work for you you could still drop the online class and keep the campus class?

It is really up to you but sometimes a balance is good.

Best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: Online courses? - April 28th 2010, 02:15 PM

I have tried to take classes online and work but its really hard because of the nature of online courses. I think you are better off taking night classes that are in an actually room and work during the day. With online classes its like if you don't click on a link or miss a section then your really up a creek.
Good Luck! PM me if you have any questions.
Katie
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: Online courses? - April 28th 2010, 04:04 PM

I'm hoping to take some as well. I was only going to start with 2. And, for your situation, 2 should still get you ahead. Like everyone else has said, just plan to stay focused. I plan on devoting a certain amount of hours a day to the two classes, but thats just me. Wish you luck! We might be suffering together.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
Closed Thread