TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

They only want school leavers :( - April 25th 2010, 12:35 PM

Well after being stuck in a job that i hate for 9 months, it's given me the chance to really considder what i want to do career wise. I learnt i can't just do a job for the money and if i'm not happy in my job then i'm just going to be depressed all the time. I know some people can do a job for the money and it not bother them and i don't get it. But each to their own.

Around January this year, after a lot of thinking and deliberation i decided that i wanted to go into childcare, it seems like the perfect thing for me. Becomming a Nursery nurse and giving young kids the best possible start to life. I decided that the best way for me to get into it was by doing an apprenticeship. I've thought about doing a college course, but i learnt twice that me and college do not get along. I decided at the time that instead of just deciding there and then that this is what i want to do that i'd just wait untill it came closer to the time of me leaving my current job to start looking into it more and applying for apprenticeships.

So i waited and it turns out i still want the same as i wanted a few months ago. The thing is i've been hearing a lot of advertisements on the radio and stuff about apprenticeships, and how they're looking for school leavers. And a lot of apprenticeships on the apprenticeships.org.uk website also state that they would prefere 16 year olds who have just left school.

Now this doesn't seem fair to me, when i left school i was basically told that college was my only option. If i had known about apprenticeships back then, i probably would have opted to do it then. But now i'm 19 i feel like i'm too late. I feel like they're all going to want school leavers and that i'm 'too old' for them. It's just annoying how they advertise it as just for school leavers, they never mention how older-young people can sign up for an apprenticeship too and maybe i'm just being a little over sensetive but i'm nearly out of a job and i'm panicking because there is no other job i want to considder apart from childcare. I've looked for jobs and they all just seem so boring, and ofcourse the nursery jobs are looking for qualified nurses. I don't want to be in the state i've been in the past few months just because of a job.

I have considerred going back to college but i don't know how long i'll be able to stand it and i don't want to waste my time again. College would be the easiest option but i don't think it's the right one for me. Been there, done that. I want to do an apprenticeship, at least then i'll be earning too.

This has turned into to more of a rant than anything else, i don't really know what i'm asking to be honest but anyone with any advice or is in the same situation feel free to reply.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: They only want school leavers :( - April 25th 2010, 01:35 PM

If there is a website with advertisments of jobs surly it will have an email address? Email them?

Also what about nusery's in your area? Ring up and ask if they are willing to take people on and train them up so to speak?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: They only want school leavers :( - April 25th 2010, 01:56 PM

Speak to nursery's as said above and phone the colleges... YES college. The apprenticeships are normally a day or so at college and the rest working, so maybe the college can find you a placement. Also many of the college courses for childcare have placements anyway, my friend had - i think- 12 wks of just college, then its been mainly placement, on-hand experience.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: They only want school leavers :( - April 25th 2010, 02:16 PM

You can still apply for apprenticeships even if you're not a school leaver one of my friend's has applied for one after he finishes his AS levels. I'll ask him what website he used to find the apprenticeship when I next speak to him

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: They only want school leavers :( - April 25th 2010, 04:56 PM

don't freak out. the reason they are probably advirtising for school leavers is because i guess they probably feel that school leavers need more guidance in which direction to go; it doesn't mean that you can't apply for it. (i'm just guessing there)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: They only want school leavers :( - April 26th 2010, 01:31 PM

I know i CAN apply for apprenticeships and i have, using www.apprenticeships.org.uk. I've looked on the direct gov website for advice too. But it's just the fact that they are getting more and more vacancies who mainly want school leavers.. its just like, well where does that leave the people who took a little longer to decide what they wanted to do and didn't even know what an apprenticeship was when they left school? I applied for one literally right round the corner from me and i got rejected... They don't give you a reason why so i just assumed it was because i left school 2 years ago.

It's just something i really really want to do, every other job seems boring and pointless to me now it's like it's the only option which really, truely appeals to me. I just want someone to give me a chance.

Closed Thread