TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Ensuite? - May 1st 2010, 10:39 PM

So, the time has come to choose my uni accomadation:

Do i get ensuite- which will be nice, but maybe less friendy, privacy

Or save the cash and go

Shared- cleaned each day,

Any stories/ pros/cons much appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 03:24 AM

I'm currently making the same kind of decision. In the end, I chose to go "traditional" which is equivalent to your "shared", I assume (you have a roommate, share a bathroom with ~15 people, many more people, etc). My reasons are as follows:

- I wanted a roommate. University is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. When will you have another chance to live with hundreds of people your age? I wanted to experience having a roommate.

- Having a roommate, in my opinion, is much more fun and exciting. I actually met my roommate (we're requesting to room together) on the Facebook group for my university and year. She's awesome and I'm so relieved that I don't have to go through the process of filling out a questionnaire and getting paired up with someone.

- It's cheaper.

- You will meet SO many more people in traditional vs. suite.

- The cafeterias are WAY better in the traditionals. In the suites, the cafs aren't open on weekends and they close at 7:00 p.m. during the week. The traditional cafs also have a much greater variety.

Really, it was a no-brainer. I wanted to get out and meet a lot of people - and have the true university experience. Having a roommate will allow me to get those "roommate inside jokes" and have the reassurance that someone will always have my back. I'm not going with any friends to university - I won't know anyone. Having a roommate (who I will get together with over the summer before university) really puts my mind at ease.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks Sabrina. But it's a little difference. No room mate. We kinda have a flat or floor with like 8 rooms in, a bathroom and a kitchen.

I think i'll go for the shared bathroom- i just cant figure that an ensuite is worth the extra 20 a week,

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:39 AM

If it's not a shared room then i'd go for the shared accommodation, with the shared bathroom. It'll be more social i imagine and easier to make friends! Plus, saving money always helps.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 09:24 AM

Why do people say it's easier to make friends? It's not like you'll be chatting whilst you both are in the same shower:P

I'm worried about lack clean bathroom- not too fussy, but if it is disgusting? And also very shy around time of month- might be awkward

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsecretsx View Post
Why do people say it's easier to make friends? It's not like you'll be chatting whilst you both are in the same shower:P

I'm worried about lack clean bathroom- not too fussy, but if it is disgusting? And also very shy around time of month- might be awkward
Well when you walk around near the showers etc you will see people around quite a bit and say "hi" and get to know them more than if you were staying in your room. I don't know for sure but I doubt the bathroom will be disgusting, they are more than likely to be quite nice.

PM // VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:37 PM

Ah that makes sense I guess. I've heard people say that shared bathrooms have a daily cleaner... is that correct? If so, i'm fine with it- but theres nooo wayy i'm cleaning up someones elses dirt :S

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Zeus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:53 PM

I'm going to uni this year too and I think I'd cry if I didn't get an ensuite! Plenty of other opportunities to meet people, anything to do with the bathroom I'd quite like to be in private =)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Ensuite? - May 2nd 2010, 08:59 PM

Hi, I went with the shared bathroom!

Mostly because of the price. To be honest I don't get what people's problem is with sharing showers and toilets. They're cleaned, you can wear flip flops in the shower if you're that bothered. 20 a week extra = 760 extra for the whole year based on a 38 week year. You've got to have a serious amount of cash for it to be worth it.

Most Uni rooms will have a sink in them so you can keep your toothbrush and stuff there.

Yeah. Don't get the whole "OMMGGGG I'LL BE SHARING A BATHROOM" thing. You share a bathroom at home. When you move out of halls in your 2nd+ year you'll be sharing a bathroom with people. Without being harsh I think people should just deal with it.

Sorry it's a sore point right now! Two of my friends keep going on and on and on and on about how they have to work X amount a week so they can afford an ensuite, and one of them can't afford one so is bitching all the time. It's like just get over it, how stuck up are you? Most of us don't even have the option!

And yeah I agree you'll be spending more time in the corridoors.

Oh and remember it won't be ONE shower/toilet between 10. In the flats I'm going two it's 3 showers, 3 toilets between 10-12 people. Mine defintley has a cleaner.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Ensuite? - May 3rd 2010, 05:59 PM

My god, GET AN ENSUITE!! If sharing bathrooms is anything like sharing a kitchen with students, ENSUITE!!!

I've had an ensuite since I was 14 so I'm used to having my own bathroom. If you're used to sharing you might be different. But in shared bathrooms and things I can just imagine feeling under pressure to shower quickly and things, and if you share with guys and it's anything like my boyfriends bathroom ... again ENSUITE!!!

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Ensuite? - May 3rd 2010, 07:07 PM

I am going for one where the bathroom is shared with 7 other people in the flat. The bathroom has 2 toilets, a bath and a shower which are all in separate rooms within the bathroom and it gets cleaned by a cleaner.
There is also a shared kitchen and living room.

The only accommodation with an ensuite where I am going is way off campus so it isn't worth it as I would have to drive or get the bus to Uni and pay extra for the ensuite which would end up so expensive.
The others you share the bathroom with everyone on that floor. This seems a happy middle ground for me.

I think since there are 7 people then if 1 is really messy you have 5 other people to back you up if you decide to talk to them about it.

I share my bathroom with my brother when he is home so I am used to sharing a bathroom with a student

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Ensuite? - May 3rd 2010, 07:30 PM

In halls this year I went Ensuite and to be honest its ok.. NOT worth the extra money. At the end of the day you want a good flat, which I didnt have. I've since moved out and moved in with my boyfriend resulting in me paying two sets of rent.

700 a month just for rent isnt the best scenario!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Clouds. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Clouds

Re: Ensuite? - May 4th 2010, 11:35 PM

Hey,
Originally I was going to choose an en suite as I thought that sharing with others would be awful. But Im in my second year of uni now and I say definatly save the money as just share! I shared in my first year and it's absolutely fine! It doesn't feel like you're sharing really, I never had to queue for showers once- all your timetables will be different!

Which uni are you applying to?

x<3x

~Happy to help *

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Clouds. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Clouds

Re: Ensuite? - May 4th 2010, 11:37 PM

Also- I had to share 4 showers and 3 toilets with 13 people!!! It was fine
My halls had a daily cleaner so it was always clean- seriously the en-suite just isnt worth the money!! Trust me!

x<3x

~Happy to help *

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Ensuite? - May 4th 2010, 11:42 PM

I'd go for the shared option, that way you get to spend the money your saving on other things.
My mates at uni and she has a flat and has a shared bathroom and kitchen, it's always tidy, and they have what they call spot checks, the peope they kinda rent it off come up everyonce in awhile and check everything is clean and stuffs. Bascailly to make sure nothing has been trashed.

Closed Thread