TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kupo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Ugh.. really stressed.. paranoid.. scared.. - February 10th 2009, 04:44 AM

Not sure If this is in the correct section. Move it if it is.

Anyway, I just gave a horrible speech and horrible Q&A. I'll give background story. Anyway, I am running a position for Key Club, which is a club where you do community service. I am re-running for position of Historian, where it's basically where you get information and post it all on a Website. I wasn't prepared. Why? Well It's a combination of procrastination and overly worked/stressed. Everyone was given noticed one week to get their speech ready. The problem was during the week I was packed and booked. I was incharge of an event with another place I work at to do community service, so I had to work the whole week, then friday was the actual event, worked six hours, then Saturday went to a Birthday Party, then Sunday I had to do Homework. Monday was our meetings and I tried to do everything I can do prepare but I didn't have time. My opponent ended up doing better than me while I was just.. umm.. it was really ugly. I dug a lot of holes for myself due to nervousness. Then when Q&A came, my so called stupid of a best friend had to ask the worst possible question of all time and asked "If your dedicated, how many events have you joined?" which hit the nail on my coffin. I only did one, and I was too busy to be nervous. Why did I only do one? Because I don't really have the time and rides available to go there. Anyway, with this daunting question, I just had to go on the high road and said "umm.. i promise to go to more event..", that I know that "****.., I can't believe he did that to me. I can't effing believe that he did that to me." Then as lunch ended, the meeting ended. I kinda lost self-esteem, lost faith, got depressed.

I'm actually good at the job that I do, but I'm not good with public speaking. I'm afraid my opponent will win. Why do I want to win so badly? It's because the group of best friends I hang out with are all running for positions, It'd be cool If we were all Officers of our Club. This is the last term before I graduate. My opponent is a Sophmore, going into Junior Year. Which is kinda the reason why I'm kinda stressed and worried.

Sorry for the long read.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Ugh.. really stressed.. paranoid.. scared.. - February 10th 2009, 04:12 PM

To be honest the only real way of public speaking is to do more of it. I've always found that making a few basic notes is good and making it up as I go along is a good step to keep the audience involved but then others prefer extensive notes.

If your friend asks a question like that then turn it into a positive- say you've only done one but list what you've done in that one group especially if you've done a lot of work on it. If you're good at your work it will show through

Closed Thread