TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LameName Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Gap year? (Long) - May 13th 2010, 07:23 PM

I'll be graduating from high school in two weeks. I have a full scholarship waiting for me at one of the country's most well respected private schools outside Ivy League. You would think I'd be ecstatic, but I don't want to go. I thought I did, and I'm sure it would be a great opportunity, but I don't think it would be worth giving up what I have. I'd have to leave my job, my family, my friends, my pets, and my fiance all behind. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

So I'm considering taking a year off. I'd move out with my fiance, my sister, and her fiance. I'd work full time, and I feel confident I could get a promotion that would give me a raise of $2 an hour. I'd then be able to start saving seriously.

I'd also be able to retake the ACT (I got a 31, but I'm sure I could do better) as well as take the SAT to improve my chances of getting a better scholarship to a more local school next year. I'd have time to do some independant study, and really decide what I want to do with my life.

Of course, I'd also have to be typical and do quite a bit of travelling. There are several projects I'd like to take on, most of which include volunteering abroad. I've been so busy the past two years, I could really use the time off. I have almost a year's worth of college credit already, so a year off couldn't hurt too much.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I can afford to risk a full scholarship inlieu of what might come next year. I'm afraid I could end up regretting either decision for the rest of my life, and I'm not sure what to do. Everyone I know just keeps saying they'll support me either way, and that they just want me to be happy. I need some real advice though. Could anyone offer some? TY.

And I am flawed
But I am cleaning up so well
I am seeing in me now
the things
you swore you saw yourself

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Gap year? (Long) - May 13th 2010, 08:08 PM

As someone who's on a gap year, and turned down my "settling" option to do what I really want to do, I say do it!!
I am working through my gap year and had offers from good UK unis, but have turned them down to follow my dream of studying in Australia next year. I'm so glad I did it, I have matured a lot and learned a lot about time keeping / responsibility etc. And I'm much happier knowing I'm going to be doing something I love.
Obviously this is a huge decision, and you have to make it yourself. But my personal view on big decisions is if you have doubts that you will be happy, don't do it. Or at least give yourself some time to think it all over.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous23 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anon Ymous

Re: Gap year? (Long) - May 26th 2010, 06:29 PM

Gap Years help build you and refine you as a person in ways that university can't. You can always study later in life if needs be. I say do it!

Closed Thread