TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZiggyOtaku Offline
Ziggy~
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Question about working persona - May 30th 2010, 02:20 AM

My boyfriend teases me, because he doesn't understand how I do so well at my job at Best Buy. I'm full time there now, and I do so well with sales, the big time manager (the highest manager located at that store) gave me a hug today. Several supervisors have tried coming to me to see if I'd transfer to their department because I sell so well, etc.

But when I'm at home, or doing something else I'm practically terrified of approaching people. For example, I went to Relay for Life and I was handing out coupons and promotions for the chiropractor I visit, and I couldn't bring myself to hand it out to people walking by. I did it to ONE person, but I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to work up the courage to do it.

I ended up placing all the promotions on the front of peoples vehicles.

So I wondered if anybody else is like this? I don't even know why I'm capable of talking to customers and being a very good sales person, but incredibly socially awkward and uncomfortable when approaching people outside of work.

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyOtaku Send a message via MSN to ZiggyOtaku  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question about working persona - June 7th 2010, 03:48 AM

i think the reason behind it is because your at work you are in an enviroment that is comfortable for you. and when out of there you become shy because you are out of that comfy spot. if that makes any sense.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Re: Question about working persona - June 7th 2010, 03:11 PM

I think its because you know that people are less likely to judge you if you're "just doing your job". Plus it becomes easy to hide behind the uniform and if you do something bad or mean, you become "that stupid girl at Best Buy" rather than "stupid Brittany". It's less personal.

I'm like this too :3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: Question about working persona - June 8th 2010, 12:15 AM

I am somewhat similar. I feel very comfortable at my job talking to people I don't know, but am not typically the type of person to feel all that comfortable outside of work approaching people. I often have a hard time striking up conversations outside of work.

I think it's probably the confidence we have on our jobs that make us feel so comfortable at work. It's natural that when you're good at something, you don't have to second-guess yourself; you just go about your business and get work done.

I think it would be just as easy outside of work to muster up that same confidence. Just find something that you're good at. Also, remembering that most people are a little apprehensive when they're talking to strangers helps. You're not the only one
Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
Closed Thread