TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Bartender! - June 3rd 2010, 05:19 PM

So i've heard good and bad things about this job.

If it's a full time job, then I can understand you'd get tired of it.
Part time job during college? Can't be that bad right?

Anyway, for my part time college job I kinda have my heart set on being a bartender. =)

But...i'm not sure.
I've heard of really bad experiences and people who just hate it.
Then i've heard other people say they totally love it!

I need stories? Advice? Is this a good job to go into?
Something!

I know it's also personal opinion and where you work blah blah blah. I just want the basic idea of it. So I know what im getting into before applying. Thanks all!

After previous posts im adding on some details:
In Minnesota you only have to be 18 to bartender.
Most places around here will train you in.
I already have a few places set up im willing to apply to with flexible hours for me being in college, then of course the trainging.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.

Last edited by MermaidMassacre; June 4th 2010 at 03:48 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Bartender! - June 3rd 2010, 05:41 PM

Where do you live, because I think in America you have to be 21 to be a bartender. Outside of there you're fine.

I've never been a bartender, but from what I heard, if you can deal with drunken idiots (who will probably hit on you since you're a girl) you'll be able to handle it. It's pretty fast paced when the bar gets crowded (unless you're working somewhere that has a bar as an add-on, I know a guy who bartends at a bowling alley), all sorts of people. But it's also good money when there's a lot of people who tip well (remember the people who don't and serve them last next time ), but the most money is working on holidays like New Year's Eve, not sure if you want to do that.

Also, do you have a license (to bartend)? I'm not sure if a place will hire without one. Sorry I don't have any experience first-hand, but I hope I helped.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Bartender! - June 3rd 2010, 06:35 PM

I agree that you need to check out what your local laws are with concerns to age and if any training is need prior. A lot of places like their bartenders to have attended Bartending School so that they are professionally trained. Not to mention be licensed. As it is a bit of a long process.
I currently work in a bar, but as a waitress, because I donít have bartending abilities. Working in a bar can be difficult in the sense you work every weekend. Which might be hard while going to school, seeing as weekends are your days off from school. Not to mention you work into the early morning, which can be really tiring, and can throw your internal clock off.
Bars tend to look for really easy going people, who are outgoing, really friendly and can talk to anyone. They look for this, because itís not easy dealing with customers who are wasted. Also, if the bar doesnít have barbacks, and they only have bartenders, then they are going to look for people who can carry really heavy boxes and have a lot of upper body strength. Because the bartenders have to bring out the beer and its heavy.

I think it just depends on the person. I really enjoy working in a bar, itís a pretty laidback environment and itís that way because of how hard we work and because of the long hours we put in. The money is really worth it though. It's all about the tips.

I am working there over the summer though, not during the school year. I would imagine the stress of the long nights would be too much for me while going to school.

I think itís funny that Anduriel said you would get hit, because I have gotten hit!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Bartender! - June 5th 2010, 08:14 AM

Lol that no one actually read your post, all the info re age and training was in there!

I've never been a bartender but I have waitressed. I would not recommend it as a college job because:
-- you lose your weekends, which is your social time
-- very late finished, so the next day you struggle to study cos you're sleeping or tired

it's not a bad job in itself. Tiring and loud but not a particuarly bad job. I wouldn't do it for college because you lose out on soial and study time but I guess that depends how far up your priorities studying is - everyone is different.

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Bartender! - June 5th 2010, 12:56 PM

I work in a bar at the moment and I'm university, pretty sure that's like your college would be...? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong! Even as someone who works in a bar I still have mixed opinions about it. The people who I work with are brilliant. We do have a laugh and I think if it wasn't for them I'd probably hate it.

It can be pretty soul destroying at times haha Imagine you're trying to do you're job, you're rushed off your feet, everything is running out because you haven't got enough staff to collect glassess, get more ice, straws or re-stock the fridge and yet you've got a line of adults in front of you screaming that you're crap, they're next and blatently bitching about you in front of your face.....! Sounds fun, right?!

It can be hard giving up your weekend. If you're away for college weekends would usually be the time that you went home to visit friends and family so that side of things becomes harder. I actually find weekends pretty boring without work though because so many people do use it as a chance to go home there isn't always that much to do or people to do things with, so work in a bar in that respect can be pretty cool.

You have to be aware of long hours. And they do feel long. There aren't just negative sides though and I think it's important to remember that. You can have fun, dance [when you're not serving ], laugh at 'the man who got with another woman last night who is now getting with her friend who is completely oblivious' etc etc.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Bartender! - June 5th 2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Lol that no one actually read your post, all the info re age and training was in there!
It says in the post she added the information about age and training after we posted. It wasnít there before.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bartender! - June 5th 2010, 06:34 PM

It depends on how easy you can control the bar and the size of it. I used to work in two restaurants during different summers, each had a bar and sometimes the drunken people can be a real pain. You may also find the bar closes late or that drunken people are staying there late and need to boot them out. If it's a kind of bar that needs its own bouncer because it's that big or hectic, don't go for that, you'll be burnt out for your college work. It can create a large social network either with customers or employees but not a time for your friends to hang out with you.

I think the two most important things though are 1) you don't get burnt out and 2) you can schedule your work hours around your courses. I know you said the place(s) will be flexible in their hours but also consider when you have large tests, assignments and exams as you'll need more study time.

Closed Thread