TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
InnerDarkness Offline
Local Attitude Problem
Average Joe

Name: Ethan

Nothng but work and sleep is stressful - June 8th 2010, 11:58 AM

I've got a job at the moment where I don't have set hours, so I could be working anything 24/7. I do about 9 hours at a time and could start anywhere between 5am to 11pm.

It doesn't sound so bad, but Im getting stressed because im not getting any time to myself. For the last 2 months Ive been doing a late shift and then a day shift with an occasional overnight or early morning randomly thrown in. The problem with this is that by the time I get back home I pretty much have to go to bed or im going to wake up late for work the next day. Ive had some shifts where I've been scheduled to finish at 11pm and had a shift at 5am the following day, but didn't even get out of work until 3am - which I could have delt with as a one off if they didn't give me a disiplinary for being late because of sleeping in.

The work itself is heavily stressful as well. There's a massive amount of pressure to get things done as quickly as possible, but no matter how hard or fast I work, people still moan that its not good enough, even though most of the time the delays aren't even anything to do with me. This has caused me to practically lose all respect for the job and I'd rather get moaned at for the slowness and not care then deal with the stress of working at my maximum capacity all the time. This attitude has led to pretty much everyone at work thinking im shit at my job and basically hating me or at least moaning when im on a shift with them.
One person said not to worry and that no matter how fast anyone works, the attitude of the managers and die-hard workers will never change, so I will basically get moaned at no matter what.
I tried putting 120% into everything for a while, in the hope that I could fall in with the hard working crowd, but they just say things like "make sure you are doing that properly".
I know its childish to want your hard work to be noticed, but id be a lot happier at work if someone would say
"your working hard today" or "good job"
once in a while.

Doing a late shift then a day shift alternatly is my norm and I can see how that could be considered fair, but over a long peroid of time it really mesess up your sleeping pattern and some nights when im on a random early I can't even get to sleep. It's also extremely rare for me (or anyone) to get out on time, on average we get out at least 30mins overtime. I have about an hour or two at best to myself betweem a shift and sleep and when im working 9 hours a day this just doesn't feel fair... i don't want to be living my life this way. Im even missing all my meals accept breakfast because I don't have time to make lunch or cook when I get home. I've only been eating breakfast for the last two weeks and I don't think thats helping with the stress either.

On top of that, I've mentioned I do 9 hour shifts, but I normally get my 30 min break 2 1/2 hours in, which leaves me to work 6 hours straight. There must be something fishy about that somewhere.

I've thought about addressing these problems with my boss, but the last two people to express any displeasure at the way things are run ended up with severly reduced hours for a couple of weeks and then they just stopped getting hours all together. I can't afford to risk that.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is this just harsh reality and I should stop moaning about it?

I know most people will say "Get a new job"

But with the little free time I have, I am looking. I don't think I'd be able to find time for an interview if I got one without booking some holiday (which i can't to do cause i've not worked there a full year yet). But as most of you know, trying to get a job at the moment is practically impossible.

We are taught never to shed tears, for to shed tears means that you have been defeated by emotion and that simple act of crying proves, without question, that negative emotions are nothing but a burden.

Last edited by InnerDarkness; June 8th 2010 at 12:19 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Nothng but work and sleep is stressful - June 10th 2010, 08:28 PM

One thing you could try is instead of talking to YOUR boss go directly to HR to complain. This could prove effective. specially if other co-workers also have the same problems.

Also, if your place of employment has a union you could either talk to them or form a union to help with this.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: Nothng but work and sleep is stressful - June 24th 2010, 12:19 AM

If you don't have any success talking directly to your boss or HR, you may want to try talking to your coworkers to see if they're feeling the same way and finding out how they cope with some of the same stress that you're dealing with.

It's important to remember, however, that no job is worth sacrificing your personal happiness in life. We all have jobs and work for one reason: so we can have a life!! If you're finding that you DON'T have a life, it might be in your best interest to start looking elsewhere for employment. Sometimes it's worth calling in a day to go do an interview for a job that might provide you with better compensation, happiness or less of a stressful challenge. You job should definitely challenge you, but not if you're working 120% and 1. not getting recognition or 2. Not happy in your life.

Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
Closed Thread