TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Nursing Aide Course? - June 12th 2010, 08:29 PM

Well, I have a part-time retail job and I hate it. I am thinking about paying three hundred dollars to do a five-week nursing aide course and then look for a job as a nurse's aide. I am a little bit nervous about the job description, but I think I can handle it. I would aim to start the courses in July. I can't afford it right now, but I think I could borrow from my mom and pay her back.

Another option is that I am taking a basic emergency technician course in the fall. The only thing is that EMT-B jobs are hard to come by and I probably wouldn't find one. I think I would have a better chance with STNA (nursing aide) because of the high turnover rate of STNAs.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Nursing Aide Course? - June 14th 2010, 02:43 AM

hey, just thought i'd drop in on the EMTB part of this post... if you're looking to jump straight onto a fire department then thats essentially not gonna happen. join a volunteer department. companies like to see you active and dedicating time to this kinda thing. if you pass everything first try. the state/national licensing part that is apply for jobs at a private ambulance company. i took my EMTB when i was 19 after working volunteer at a fire dept. for about 4 years. right now im taking the state exam in 2 weeks. if i pass that i have two different ambulance companies that are looking to hire me. private ambulance company jobs aren't hard to come by. so thats always a good option once you're licensed. sorry that was pretty long haha. just thought i'd share on that topic though. good luck with the EMTB course and whichever you choose to pursue.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Nursing Aide Course? - June 14th 2010, 12:57 PM

Oh, and I am in the process of volunteering at a department already. They need one to three more applicants before they start the process of verifying the references. We have three so far. I know the fire department would pay for the EMT-B, but I am not entirely sure how long it will take to the applications started and I need to be EMT-B certified before taking paramedic anatomy. Otherwise, I don't think the EM school would even consider letting someone who is a non-EM major into the paramedic courses without seeing what they can do because they only run the first paramedic course once a year with thirty students. They do have a high passing rate.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Nursing Aide Course? - June 14th 2010, 04:13 PM

yup, you deff have to get your basic before you can even go to school for your medic license. when i took the emtb i paid for it up front and the department will pay me back once i pass the state exam. and paramedic education is pretty tough to get into just so you know. i've got a year to wait to get into my college for my medic and i have to be in school full time all next year and get high grades.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Nursing Aide Course? - June 14th 2010, 04:28 PM

Well, the fire department does it differently here. They would send me to the college for the EMT-B and pay for it upfront unless I quit volunteering within in a year. They don't reimburse me for the paramedic courses.

I already have college credit under my belt and I have a high grade point average so I am not too worried about that. I just need to get the pre-reqs done and I could probably get away with my EMT-B in the winter and paramedic anatomy in the summer, but I don't want to risk it.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Nursing Aide Course? - June 14th 2010, 09:26 PM

If the nursing aide job has a high turnover rate that may be best.
You could also get both to have more options but get the nursing first and as you get money seek to go to the EMT route.

The good thing is as a whole the health care field is great because there will always be a need and therefore somewhat of a demand for them.

Closed Thread