TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

A level options. - June 24th 2010, 06:17 PM

HELP!!

ok, so i'm really stuck on what to choose. i've basically had a year out and i'm leaving the college i went to because i don't like it. going back to my old private school because it has small classes & theres less people, easier to talk to teachers, etc.

I'm really stuck on options though. there are five option blocks and i have to pick one from 4 of them, leaving one empty. i think i explained that right. i'll put the option blocks and the subjects i'm choosing from.

Option 1 (pretty much decided on Philosophy though)
Economics
Philosophy
History

Option 2 (really don't know - i've heard media isn't well respected by uni's but i'm not sure about psych, i'm not overly keen on science but apparently it's not actually that science-y?)
Media Studies
Psychology

Option 3 (the only one i could do from the choices - did it last year and didn't love it, but i think it was because i hated my teacher.)
Politics

Option 4 (swaying towards drama. i've been offered a drama scholarship and obviously have to do drama if i accept it.)
Drama
English Language

Option 5 (i'm not overly keen on doing lit)
English Literature

soooo..

that leaves me with; philosophy(Edexcel), psych(AQA) or media studies(OCR), politics(AQA), drama(Edexcel) or english lang(AQA). or possibly lit(OCR)

I'm confused because i don't want to drop english completely but i don't want to do literature. but if i did lang i'd have to drop drama. arrgghhhh.

if anyone has followed this then you deserve a medal. i'm failing to make sense of it myself. if anyone has done any of these subjects, particularly on the same exam board please give me some input on what you think. i'd reeeaaaalllyyyy appreciate it. i need to give in my provisional choices by next week.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 06:20 PM

Psychology is really good and it's not massively sciency, there's only a few parts of it that are.

And the AQA specification seems really interesting but unfortunately I'm on OCR

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
Psychology is really good and it's not massively sciency, there's only a few parts of it that are.

And the AQA specification seems really interesting but unfortunately I'm on OCR
I was thinking that if i take drama i wouldn't do media as well and i'd do psych. because media and drama are two 'soft' subjects, although it really pisses me off when people hate on drama lol..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 10:01 PM

Psychology is definitely really interesting and obviously useful, i'm doing the AQA spec and there is parts of it that are sciency, in fact a lot of it - it's basically a combination of science, maths, geography and of course English. You'll like it though, i'm sure.
As for the other choices, i definitely think you should pick English but whether that be Lang or Lit is up to you, doesn't your school offer a combined course? That would be more easier and beneficial.

Other than that, i'd say go with what your heart is telling you. It's all very well gathering opinions from others but at the end of the day think about your subjects in terms of career prospects and what you're truly passionate about.

Good luck!

P.S: i do R.S which involves Philosophy and it goes rather well with Psychology, just sayin'

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 11:38 PM

Not media not media not media.

Do drama and get the scholarship. But drama is a LOT of hard work. My sister did it to AS then dropped it and carried on with English Lit, Sociology and RS. So do bare in mind that it's not easy and despite being hard work not really regarded highly. But you'll enjoy it probably and it gets you a scholarship so I'd go for it

Cannnn I be slightly rude here and say I don't think you should do five.. you'll probably still struggle next academic year and I just don't think there is any logical reason to do five over doing four. Even for Oxbridge you don't need to do any more than four and the extra stress of doing five just would not be worth it.

Then with four you could just get rid of English... don't drop drama for it you'd always be slightly resentful. Lit is solid and if you're not going to like it just not worth the effort. English is VERY different at A level and Language is nothing like GCSE language. something to bare in mind.

xx

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 11:41 PM

But this actually does depend on what you want to do in terms of career or Uni choices? Have you any idea? Basically by that I mean -- are you considering Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial/Durham/Warwick/LCE (have I forgottan any? OH Edinburgh/St Andrews maybe) or Vet Med/Med/Denistry? Because if so my advice will change because if you did philospohy, psy, politics, drama I'm pretty sure only 1 of them is in the 'first' list for Oxbridge.

EDIT: clearly I'm an idiot, you are obv not wanting to do vet med/med/denistry if you are not doing sciences. D'oh!

It's fine to have one.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level options. - June 24th 2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Not media not media not media.

Do drama and get the scholarship. But drama is a LOT of hard work. My sister did it to AS then dropped it and carried on with English Lit, Sociology and RS. So do bare in mind that it's not easy and despite being hard work not really regarded highly. But you'll enjoy it probably and it gets you a scholarship so I'd go for it

Cannnn I be slightly rude here and say I don't think you should do five.. you'll probably still struggle next academic year and I just don't think there is any logical reason to do five over doing four. Even for Oxbridge you don't need to do any more than four and the extra stress of doing five just would not be worth it.

Then with four you could just get rid of English... don't drop drama for it you'd always be slightly resentful. Lit is solid and if you're not going to like it just not worth the effort. English is VERY different at A level and Language is nothing like GCSE language. something to bare in mind.

xx
noo i was never thinking of doing 5! lol, i just worded it wrong. i'm doing 4 max.. maybe even just 3. i don't want to overload myself. 5 is completely uncecessary anyway from what i've heard. i only know one person whose doing 5 to full A level but she's applying to cambridge and insists she needs it.. i think i'm pretty sure i'm going to do Drama, which would leave me with only lit as a choice english-wise. and i think it's one of those subjects where you can't just do it to get the grade, you have to actually be interested.. which i probably wouldn't be. hmm.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 12:05 AM

Ah ok I see. I'm slightly (ok. More than slightly) drunk and also tired so mostly misread probably

Yeah you seem very anti-english lit. I found it to be a lot of work and very challenging. Don't do it for the sake of it. If you're worried about not having enough 'academic' subjects you could do history instead, I saw that was on your list. They show similar skills and both well regared, academic, etc

EDIT: economics would be an equally good shout.

EDIT2: but to be honest unless you're applying to a maybe those Uni's that I listed I can't see them being massively bothered about those four/three and more bothered about the grades. Politics is well regarded. Philospphy generally is too.

It's fine to have one.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 12:17 AM

Elle, I personally believe that you would do really well at drama, you seem like the type of person to be a good actress and things like that. A lot of my friends have actually went into the drama field

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 05:00 PM

I personally really enjoyed English Literature A-Level, although that could be because I had a really good teacher... I also think Eng Lit is more respected than Eng Language (but don't take my word for it!!)
Out of Psychology and Media, I'd personally go for Psych as Media's seen to be more of a soft subject, although at the same time it all depends really on what you decide you want to do at university.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 05:10 PM

i'm unsure what i want to do at uni. i'm considering drama school and i'm also considering criminology/sociology or something along those lines.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
i'm unsure what i want to do at uni. i'm considering drama school and i'm also considering criminology/sociology or something along those lines.
You don't want to do Therapeutic Radiography any more then?
I remember last time I spoke you you where considering it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

You don't want to do Therapeutic Radiography any more then?
I remember last time I spoke you you where considering it.
Yeah but i don't have a science and although i know it's not a requirement everywhere i think it's a disadvantage.. i think there are other things i'd do better at. you're doing diagnostic aren't you?.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A level options. - June 25th 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah but i don't have a science and although i know it's not a requirement everywhere i think it's a disadvantage.. i think there are other things i'd do better at. you're doing diagnostic aren't you?.
Yeah most of the requirements I have seen are CCC with 1 of them in science. (it can be BCC or CCD) Both of my offers specified a C in a Science subject which for me is biology..

I am hopefully doing Diagnostic Radiography if I get the grades in August and I am really unsure if I have. If I haven't I am changing colleges and resitting the year and trying again

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: A level options. - June 27th 2010, 09:19 PM

Psychology from what I heard is really good. And you should do some drama its fun and rewarding. Oh and you should come to brooklands college

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A level options. - June 27th 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsEllie View Post
Psychology from what I heard is really good. And you should do some drama its fun and rewarding. Oh and you should come to brooklands college
lol i was actually thinking about brooklands but i don't want to start over again with not knowing anyone.

& i've decided on psychology over Media.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: A level options. - June 28th 2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:

lol i was actually thinking about brooklands but i don't want to start over again with not knowing anyone.

that's fair enough but you would know me, haha! although i do music.

i'm sure you will enjoy psychology! at least i hope you do

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: A level options. - June 29th 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Oooh, I start my Criminology degree in September (assuming I get desired grades!)
In which case I'd suggest you do Psychology as theres some Psychology involved in studying Criminology so it might be of use.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: A level options. - June 29th 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Woops, didn't see this; my bad!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
LifeLoveLost. Offline
AnotherFabricatedSelfPort rait.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lotts

Re: A level options. - June 30th 2010, 03:36 PM

I really enjoy English Literature
I'm just starting my A2 year in it now

Lots of my friends are currently studying psychology
They really enjoy it and it opens up a lot of oppertunites for university, it would go geat with sociology or criminology!

Closed Thread