TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chelsealyn3994 Offline
Hakuna Matata (:
Not a n00b

Name: Chelsea

Thumbs down Cannot Find a Job. - June 27th 2010, 11:07 PM

I've applied online to places and stuff, but nothing is available for 16 year olds anymore. I've even gone as far to have an interview any everything, but I got turned away because I had bad hours because it was during school but now it's summer and I told her they would change but she hired someone else instead.

It's just so hard to find a job and I really need one to help pay for my insurance for my car. Ugh.

Never regret anything because at one time, it's exactly what you wanted. PM me. (:

Part of the Big Brother Big Sister program since 7/14/2010.
Be a friend. Be a mentor. Just be there.
  Send a message via AIM to chelsealyn3994  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 27th 2010, 11:50 PM

i know loads of people in the same situation as you at the moment. it's really difficult to get a job. you just gotta keep trying, go out and hand out your CV's, make sure they know you're flexible what hours you can work, etc. you could try and negotiate some sort of allowance from your parents in return for helping out with whatever they need if you really cannot find a job anywhere. don't give up yet though..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 28th 2010, 04:08 AM

First of all I know where you're coming from, trying to find a job nowadays is crazy hard, but the best thing you can do, is apply in PERSON. Go into the store or place you want to apply and after you complete the application ask to speak to the MANAGER when you hand it in. And introduce yourself (make sure you are dressed nicely), say that you are really excited about the job and just wanted to introduce yourself. Then a week later call in and ask again to speak to the manager and say "Hello my name is Chelsea and I applied about a week ago, I just wanted to let you know that I'm still very interested in the position and was wondering if it has been filled yet?" Also apply EVERYWHERE. Places you would never think to apply, rest stops on the high way near you, diners, fast food places, everywhere.

Best of luck! <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 28th 2010, 05:06 AM

I know this feeling. I just got hired to my first job on Friday, I start Monday, it's part-time, and I'm 22. I've always suffered with job hunting.

Anyways, there is a point to this. The place I've been hired is a Greenhouse. They're seasonal, and the work is BOOMING in the Summer and early Autumn. So, I'd suggest trying at Greenhouses.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Breathe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jasey

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 28th 2010, 09:27 PM

I totally feel you. I lost my job and spent over 6 months trying to find a new one. It was awful, and I almost gave up. But if you give up, then you have absolutely no chance. If you keep applying and applying, you've still got a chance. Just be patient. My advice is to just take a day every now and then, drive around town and apply at EVERY SINGLE BUSINESS you come across. Restaurants, fast food places, retail stores, malls, gas stations, grocery stores, everything. If you just stick to applying online, you aren't going to find out about half the job opportunities near you. And besides, walk-in applications make a bigger impression. In the meantime, do odd jobs like yard work, babysitting, and washing cars to make some extra cash. It'll add up.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 28th 2010, 09:58 PM

i'm really sorry to hear you're struggling. unfortunately at these times it is very very difficult to get a job. my best advice is to just keep going, keep nagging eventually someone will get fed up and offer you a job hopefully. to get the job i have now I sent out 55 CV's (only one reply, lucky enough got the interview then the job) and went job hunting for almost a year. hopefully that won't happen for you. keep your chin up!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Cannot Find a Job. - June 29th 2010, 05:56 PM

Jobs are so tough to find these days! I found one at my university because they're always looking to hire students, but it took a long time to find that one even. My job before that I found on Craigslist, of all places. There are a lot of scams there, but sending emails and inquiring never hurts (you could always ask your parents to distinguish between real and scam for you).

Apply everywhere. I really do mean everywhere. Apply at the library, the animal shelter, and other non-profit organizations because they're usually looking for people and they are understanding of school year situations. When my friend was 15 he got a year round job at the MultiGen - so if you have a recreational area near you, you could try applying there. Apply at tons of different stores - clothing stores, department stores, grocery stores, sporting goods stores, go to the mall and submit an application to everything there...you get the idea. And restaurants or fast food places you should apply at too, just hit all the ones in your area. Apply in person to places that show that they are hiring, for everywhere else call or look online. I'm sure you've already applied at some of these sorts of places, and done these things, but you really need to look everywhere. Because you never know - even if they don't want to hire you, sometimes they will recommend you to someone else that does.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

Closed Thread