TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mallorymm09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 1st 2010, 04:51 AM

Every since the 8th grade I've wanted to be a nurse. I took the available classes in high school and am even in the nursing assistant program right now at my college. The past year I have been going back and forth between sticking with my nursing degree or switching to a degree I'd be happy with. I've always been passionate about writing and have dreamed of being a writer since I was 5 or so. The choice would be simpler if money wasn't a concern. My family doesn't have much money and I don't want to be the same way when I'm older. Should I stay with nursing for the financial security? Or should I switch to a degree in English/journalism and attempt a career in the writing would with the possibility of failure just to be happy?

I'm very indecisive so any honest advice would be greatly appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 1st 2010, 09:17 AM

Being happy is the most important thing, money cannot buy happiness.
Follow your heart and do what career interests you the most as you'll find a better way to make money while you're in your dream job..
Like me perfectly, I want to be midwife for years but I only chose it for money NOW ... before i dreamed to be midwife but am thinking about something else while my choice is midwifery (im doing health and social care course) ...

Follow your heart.

Im here if you need me.. .just PM me .

Jay

Live the life.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 1st 2010, 03:20 PM

I just completed my accounting degree... i didnt try to find a job a semester before i finish like alot of smart people did. my grades are slightly above average.. but not the best.

I searched for a job 7 days before i finished my degree.. got a call 2 business days after for a job interview offer... then my interview was okay... then i got the job 1 business days after the interview...

my sister got a degree in human resources.. and she could never get a job! she still works at a small retail store making slightly above minimum wage in a dead end job(for 3 years!).

I picked accounting cuz its a useful skill/knowledge. I will make more money, alot of career/education oppurunties and the I can start my own business of any kind later in life cuz i have more money.

More money= more choices

Less money = less choices

if you hate nursing... you can always go back to skool and get a masters degree in business or science (Masters in business administration only needs 3.0 gpa from any bachelor degree, the health industry is gunna expand 20 years from now since our parents are gunna get old.. and so will our generation, that means more jobs) more money you make now... the easier to upgrade ur education.

Also.... bachelors degrees arent worth that much in the job market.. so basic/general/unspecialized/unpractical degree is not gunna be very useful in a tough job market. Unless u go to the top 10 school in the US or in the world.

So try to get a good gpa... and a good paying job. and save up for a masters degree...

money cannot buy u happiness, but i can help u get it. As long as make a good... well thought out plan.

banks also like nurses when it comes to bank loans... because nurses have steady, well paying jobs.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 7th 2010, 10:16 PM

Honestly, I'd go with what you know you will truly enjoy. I'm an extreme idealist and I don't believe that people should ever do anything solely for money. Here how I think of it: the career you choose will be what you do every single working day of your life. You will get up in the morning and think "Have to get up and go do x." If you're miserable doing it, and you're spending the majority of your time working because, let's face it, people do...what's the point?

I'm also considering creative writing as a career. It is hard to make a living. But you know what? I know what will and will not make me happy. And my only goal is to be happy. The rest will follow.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 7th 2010, 10:20 PM

I'm a writer, and I work in a care home doing nursing.

The fact of the matter is, a good writer is a good writer. No piece of paper or qualification changes that. I know many people who have studied art/music/literature and then lost their spark for it. Writing is not a full time job until you really break into the industry properly. There is always time for writing. Plus nursing is so rewarding. Every day is inspiration.

Taking a writing degree makes you no better or worse a writer. It just costs you money and talks about other peoples writing. Yes, studying other peoples writing is a big part of being a writer. Enjoying words and storylines etc. But you can do that in your own time.

I say go for the nursing.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 10th 2010, 10:06 PM

I say go for the nursing degree and the English/writing one. Whenever you make it big in the writing world then just move onto it or somehow keep the nursing job as well
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 11th 2010, 12:35 AM

Maybe you can stay with a major in nursing and minor in writing?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 11th 2010, 10:33 AM

Yes, that is what I mean. Major in nursing but minor in English/writing skills.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 11th 2010, 03:22 PM

Yep,

A writing degree doesnt make you a good writer.. unless you go to Harvard, Stanford, Oxford University. Any of the top 5 universities in the US or in the World... Why? Because big magazines recruit from them.

I know som1 who went to Oxford University for the Graduate degree and they are a junior writer for Vanity Fair Magazine. She probaly doesnt make much... after going through alot of skooling cuz journalism is dying profession. Oxford university isnt cheap at all! And it is super hard to get into in the first place!

You should take nursing, and minor in english... Or take some english classes as ur electives...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 11th 2010, 03:26 PM

Also if your a Nurse... Then you will make alot more money. SO you can write on ur free time.. And try to fly to publishers or companies interested in ur writing.

With an english degree... you will be broke. or u might get a really bad job. Ive seen some people doing jobs not related to their degrees...

Well maybe.. I see them in Home Depot, Grocery Stores, waiting tables....

If ur in nursing ur gunna be in the hospital doing what ur degree allows u!

do you want to be stuck in retail?

Besides being a good writer doesnt mean much these days... Its like finding a job... U gotta advertiser ur self well too! and do the interviews well and find the opportunities... its really hard... especially if ur a writer. There is so many writers out there. u will be competing with ppl around the world. because words/writing can easily be transfered from one place of the world to another with a click of a mouse button hitting the "send email" button.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: safe for money or risk for happiness: nursing degree vs. english/writing degree? - July 14th 2010, 12:26 AM

You don't need a degree in English/Literature/Creative Writing/Journalism to write. You just need the inspiration and the motivation, which you can get from pretty much any profession. Especially those professions that put you to the task of caring for other people.

I would choose nursing if I was in your position. According to the nurses I've spoken with, it is a very inspiring profession, as well as a stable one. However, it's entirely your choice. If you feel that writing is the only thing you really have a passion for, and that you couldn't love any other profession, go for it! Just remember that it will be difficult, and you may not end up with the style of living you want.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread