TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Opinion on this? - July 3rd 2010, 05:33 PM

I'm going to be in my 4th year in September and from the start, I planned on taking a 5th year, which is fine by me and my parents. I wanted to use it for doing research and possibly some TA-ing but one of my professors passed away (the one I wanted to work with because he's very well known and amazing). But I'm not abandoning having a 5th year, I'm planning to add more stuff on. Currently I'm doing a double major.

For those who are doing this, did do this or know someone who is/did this, how much more difficult was it than a double major? I was thinking either a double major with a minor or a triple major. The added minor or major is going to be in sociology aimed towards criminology and law as it's very interesting to me and several of my courses gave me a good understand so it ties in very well with what I'm doing and what I want. The course of third-year forensic psychology with guest lectures from FBI and RCMP is what really gave me a yearning to go forward with this direction.

I initially wanted to add only the minor but my mother talked with me and we reasoned, I may actually be able to do a third major because my two current majors will be done in my fourth year, so with the help of summer courses and a fifth year, I could theoretically do it. Plus I've done 2 sociology courses already and setting to do 1 in the September.

The reason for this addition is because I got a letter from my university saying that in the sociology course of over 1200 students, I was in the top 5% and given my CGPA is high enough (over 3.0, not planning to say what the number truly is), I'm eligble for doing some volunteer teaching/mentoring. The letter recomended that given the previous courses I've done, I should go into the crime and law branch of sociology (plus it's what I want anyways).

So how much harder is it? I'm going to add at least a minor on regardless but just want some insight if anyone has any.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Opinion on this? - July 4th 2010, 12:09 AM

double majoring is pointless... no offence.

your very smart (ur top 5%) go apply for master and/or PH.D/J.D degrees from to universities NOW!

The more unnessary undergrad work the more likely that you will screw up ur marks.

Ph.D programs in business is generally for free do u know that? they pay U. and also other Ph.d programs too.

Masters cost alot of money. Some ph.d's requires a masters degree.

If you want a job in research for sure.... go for a Ph.D or atleast aim for one. Bachelor degrees are way to common and u will not get alot of respect if u have 2 or 3 or 4. U gotta get and advance degree because alot of people cannot get it. And u will learn more.

BTW

There is sooo many people applying to big name organizations like the FBI... get a masters degree and u will stand out. also get close to ur professors in the 4th year. be friends with them and use them as references for ur masters program..

Also Sociology at the bachelors level isnt useful..

Also u can consider getting a "Juris Doctorate" which is a graduate level law degree.. that requires a bachelors degree..

Also congrats to ur hard work and achievement! Please please please dont waste ur time on another undegrad. Dont waste u talent and debt(or parents money)... and go get an advance degree.. More money, More respect, and Better Job choices and oppunrtunities out there! Ull get a higher level job.

In ur Graduate Admissions interview... and essay talk about ur "Famous" prof who passed away and how helped u or influence u! Heck there is so many famous psychologist like Freud who had famous mentors!

TA and research assistant exprience is good too! to help u get in a graduate skool.

A doctorate takes like 4 years.. J.D is like 3 years.. a masters degee is like 2 years.. So dont waste another 1 year on an undergraduate.. unless u wanna increase ur gpa... but its pointless at this point..(cuz ur so high.. even if ur gpa dropped to the top 15% u still get get in the advance programs fairly easly)

As a PH.D student u will be a Teacher Asistant anyways.. and a researcher too..

Last edited by Tomb; July 4th 2010 at 12:15 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Opinion on this? - July 4th 2010, 12:17 AM

http://www.higheredjobs.com/

For professor jobs...

If u wanna do reseach for the rest of ur life... become a professor or get a ph.d to be a professor.

The site above is a job site for professors. It will show u the requirements to be one too. If ur able to be a professor u can easily get all kinds of jobs... in the related field....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Opinion on this? - July 4th 2010, 02:55 AM

I am planning to go to Master's and Doctorate, no question there. The reason for the double major is because the area I'm interested in (neuroscience and pharmacology) is covered some in psychology and some in biology so since I'll need to have done many courses in both, might as well get some creditation for doing them. The other reason for taking this extra year was because of some problems with administration I had that held me back from the courses I really wanted to do (the neuroscience ones in third-year). MY CGPA isn't amazingly high actually, I just did really well in that course and similar courses, so I'm planning to take extra ones for a reason you said, to boost the GPA.

My dream is to do both research and clinical work via a PsyD (I know I couldn't prescribe medications but I would do the diagnosing), or simply just a PhD. The FBI I do think of working for, although I'm not set on it because there are many other places I probably would like to work for. I know I'll get better jobs and higher pay, which is one big reason why I want to get a doctorate, either in pharmacutical research, being a professor or working with big names such as FBI.

I know I may be getting ahead of myself but I really do want to combine in the criminology and law with the neuroscience and pharmacology because I always dreamed of being a scientist of some sort as well as being in law enforcement. I'm going to neuroscience because it's a field that's a lot newer and growing really fast, so as you said, with having a doctorate, there's millions of places to go for. As a researcher, there's so much that is unknown so there's lots of opportunity to do something innovative in it.

Thanks for the website, it seems quite useful and informative as well as the encouragement.

Closed Thread