TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Camp Trillium Hospital - February 14th 2009, 04:14 AM

Well, I've applied to work at the Camp Trillium Hospital and got the email saying to come in for a group interview. The idea of a group interview sounds a bit odd and apparently includes stuff like games, etc... . One thing it also includes is role-playing, which I think will be hopefully easy enough for me. I'm planning to fake the emotions (as I do and have done for years) and also glance over briefly at the interviewers and see if what I'm doing is right or not. For those who don't know what Camp Trillium is, it's a hospital for childhood cancer, so although it's not an area of medicine I'm keen on working in (too annoying, boring, etc...) it's worth a start. I'm hoping I get paid for it, especially since the bloody trains and buses don't go there so my father and I will somehow have to figure out how the fuck to get to those idiots. If it's constantly there, then it's going to be a real bitch to get there every day to work. They want me to also take something that best represents me in order to psychoanalyze me. Well, I'm damn good at profiling and playing mind-games (especially ones to ruin people or get money, etc... or whatever I want) so I'm going to bring either my medical pharmacology textbook, human neuropsychology or abnormal psychology textbook. I thought about bringing the human anatomy and physilogy but it's a hardcover 1200-1300+ page book, so screw that. Although I will do my best to avoid all talk about killing (something that isn't hard at all for me as I talk to and meet numerous people at campus).

But, I haven't really had to act some emotion or whatever with others marking my performance. So that'll be new for me.

Anyone worked at a place like this? I'm thinking it's going to be really boring but it's also going to be a great test for me to see exactly how much I can do, who I can get, etc... . After all, always got to look out for number one.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 14th 2009, 04:25 AM

Okay, you have to appear sypathetic towards children, enough to be helpful and 'human' in a way. But also show that you're not attached so much that you won't make rational decisions when need be. But you need to be able to emotionally cater to children too.

Perhaps consider bringing something beyond a textbook, though it doesn't actually mean you've put more thought into it, they will assume you did if you bring a random object that no one else really thought about bringing.

I have absolutely no experience working with children with cancer, but just gauge the atmosphere as it sounds you're going to.

I doubt that was actually helpful, but good luck! Lemme know if there's anything I can do.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 14th 2009, 04:41 AM

Well I've pulled off the role of being sad and pitying and such so that shouldn't be a problem. 'human' in a way, I'm a human already so good enough or I'm not getting exactly what you're saying. I guess I'll use simpler words for the kids, so that's human-like.

Well, there's a list of what to bring (1 of each):

- a bathroom item ==> seems odd to walk into a hospital with a roll of toilet paper
- a favourite CD ==> I doubt my taste of music would be suitable and I'm not going to buy some stupid CD
- a hat ==> Seems well, boring.
- a left shoe ==> I don't want to lose it then be stuck with only a right shoe.
- a book
- a picture ==> I like my pictures without people putting their filthy greasy paws on it
- an item from the bottom of your closet ==> Means anything
- an item under your bed ==> Also, anything
- something you cant live without ==> I guess water or food, but there's going to be food there anyways.
- represents a secret ==> Then it's not a secret... idiots who wrote this as a choice
- an item that is prickly ==> How am I meant to carry a prickly thing in a car, then up to a hospital? I don't think so.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Red face Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 01:51 AM

Do you even like kids?

Beware of the cats.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 04:31 AM

Only if they're not annoying, crying or smelly, and have a remote amount of intelligence. But I like money more and it'd look good on a resume, plus a good reference person. Then again, if I'm not getting paid then to hell with them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 11:57 AM

Given who you'll be working with, I hope you don't get it.

Beware of the cats.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 12:21 PM

Kids are best at being annoying and crying. I work in a preschool, i constantly have kids cooming up to me and going cuddle, or draw me this draw me that, or telling me about alice cooper and a burmeese python.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 12:24 PM

Stay on topic please, this is not about whether or not the OP is suitable for working with children but rather about how to get a work placement

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 02:46 PM

Well, the best way to get a job is to be sincere and actually like the job. However, they definitely won't hire you with your current attitude of having to fake emotions and trying to have a good resume. Plus only liking kids that aren't smelly, crying, annoying and have some intelligence means you would probably dislike most of the younger kids there.

I know this is off-topic, but seriously, you're going to be in hell for the entire summer if you keep that attitude towards kids. I've worked with kids before as an instructor and as a counselor. They will cling to you. They will ask you stupid questions. They will fight. They will try to get your attention because they will look up to you. Some will cry.

Get an internship in a lab if you want something that pays and will give you experience. Then volunteer at a hospital.

Oh, and they would probably like to know of any medical conditions you might have.

Beware of the cats.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 17th 2009, 05:37 PM

When I say faking emotions, the people receiving them rarely can tell they're being faked, and I'm definately not stupid enough to tell them I'm faking them. They can cling and such all they want, no problem there.

I'll tell them whatever medical conditions are relevant but both when giving them my resume before and in the e-mail, they mentioned nothing about any medical conditions. Perhaps they'll ask at the interview, that's possible but I've already got a way around that.

Well, I've volunteered at one hospital already, but you're right, I would like to work in a lab, although I think it may be too late to apply for one and I doubt they'd hire a 2nd year university student. They may, not sure but I'm doubtful they would.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 18th 2009, 02:15 PM

I would re-evaluate whether this position is right for you. You will be working with very poorly children who will be crying, and probably smelly as chemo does smell quite bad. Given everything you have said in this thread and other threads, I'm not sure you'd enjoy the job.

I'm not sure about in the US, but in the UK, you are required by law to go through occupational health screenings during which it is a crime to lie or withhold information.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 18th 2009, 02:21 PM

Group interviews weed people out pretty quickly. They will probably be able to tell, whether you realize it or not, that you aren't suited for such a position. They pay a lot more attention than people assume.

You are probably better off applying/looking for something you actually care about and want to be involved in. These children will cling and look up to you as a source of help, so if that's not something you can handle, don't continue with the application process.

Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 02:16 AM

It's not about enjoying the job, it's about the money and how it'd look on a resume. I'm very sure I can handle it, just may find it boring or a bit of a nuisance but oh well.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 02:25 AM

My friend had a paid internship over the summer in a lab straight out of high school. Another friend worked for her father's company and double checked the experiment results. It would also look a lot better if you took a volunteer position, but that might imply you enjoy working with kids.

Have you had your group interview yet?

Beware of the cats.

Last edited by Adean; February 19th 2009 at 02:32 AM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 04:51 AM

No, interview is on Feb 24.

I volunteered at a hospital in highschool (not the same one as I'm applying for), and worked in long-term care, so there weren't any small kids as patients, many seniors and adults though.

Yeah, I should've tried to work at a lab right away but didn't. That's my fault.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 02:41 PM

Does your university have a medical center it's affiliated with? A lot of university medical centers will also take interns.

Beware of the cats.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 03:51 PM

Our university has 3 campuses, and the one I'm currently at doesn't but I know the largest one, which I'm planning to go to next year for 3rd year does. The 3rd campus is too far for me to bother to go to.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 05:42 PM

Well, I got a lovely email saying it's cancelled so whoever contacted him, thank you for pissing me off. Perhaps it was for the better as I'd have been knocked off pretty fast but still would've loved to try.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Camp Trillium Hospital - February 19th 2009, 05:47 PM

Since the interview doesn't seem to be going ahead I'm gonna close this - PM me if I've got the wrong end of the stick and I'll reopen it :]

Closed Thread