TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Yay? - July 5th 2010, 08:30 AM

Well a couple of weeks ago I went to a careers expo that my school organised. I had a really good time looking around at the different universities and seeing what they had to offer. I thought that if I didn't get into Journalism then Law or Creative and Performing Arts would be my next choice. So while I was at the careers expo I saw an Academy which offers acting, modeling, photography and presenting (I think presenting). Today, I received a call, after forgetting about all the uni's I wrote down my name for, for information about the uni's that I wrote down my name expressing my interest for the academy, in acting, photography and presenting, asking me if I could attend an interview on Wednesday at 3:45pm. Here's the link if you guys want to have a look:
http://www.styleacademy.com.au/index.php
However, I have a few problems. I live in a suburb that is roughly an hour away from Sydney, where it's allocated, depending on traffic. In Australia when your 16, you can get your L license where you have to have a supervising adult who has their full license to drive with you. I still have my L's even though I'm 17. I have 4 and a half hours to go till I complete the 120 hour requirement in order to pass my driving test whereby I can drive by myself. There's no way I can complete the 4 and a half hours left as well as book a test and pass it in less then 2 days. My Mum said I can't go because it has nothing to do with Journalism but my Mum doesn't know how badly I want this. Today before the academy rang, I had actually rung around to newspaper places asking if they offer cadetships/traineeships to school leavers but they either said no, or the chances of me getting a cadetship/traineeship are pretty slim because I don't have a university degree. So I guess that if I don't get the marks I want from my major exams this year, I can fall back on this.
I don't know what to do anymore...

Last edited by .Brittany.; July 6th 2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Removing trigger warning.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Yay? - July 5th 2010, 12:37 PM

Do you not have buses in Australia? Or trains?

I think you should go. Explain to your mum that it's not you saying this is what you want to do, but that you want to make sure you explore all options before you make a decision. She is probably concerned because it's an unstable career path, but journalisim is also very unstable!

I think if you can calmly explain your reasons to her then she might let you go. I'd find it easy to get angry and get into a row but try to avoid this!

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Yay? - July 6th 2010, 04:25 AM

I know there are trains in Sydney so surely you can use those or other buses, possibly even taxis (though would be expensive). Try calmly explaining to your mother why you require the transportation and that you'll only need her driving services for a bit until you get your license. In the mean time, her driving is necessary in order for you to go to the interviews. If I were you, I'd ask for one-way trips only if your mother is not fond of doing long drives because getting back would need no hurry, so other modes of transportation could be used. Maybe your mother would still have to pick you up but it'd be at a place much closer to home so wouldn't be an inconvenience.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Yay? - July 6th 2010, 10:22 AM

I agree with the other posters, public transport could be the way to go. Calmly explaining to your mother that you want to keep your options open, and want to explore various things before you make a final decision may help. It pays to try to stay calm in situations like these

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

Closed Thread