TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Joanie

working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:17 AM

Anyone else here work at fast food? I do and it is so stressful. Today I seriously thought I was going to have a anxiety attack at work. I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't handle this job, but I haven't really got a choice because I need the money. When we get busy I go into full panic mode when I'm working at the drive thru window.

Labyrinth <3
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:18 AM

I used to work at Dairy Queen, and I can understand how the drive thru can get you panicked. How long have you been at your current job for?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:22 AM

3 months. I try my hardest, but I feel like I'm no good at this job..

Labyrinth <3
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:37 AM

I used to work at a cinema and that involved sometimes working on the retail counter. I understand what you mean about when it gets really busy and you're just super stressed, but you've been there 3 months and it might take a bit longer than that to get used to the stress! Have you been told that you're doing your job badly? Because if not the chances are you just feel like you're doing badly and actually you're doing okay.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:42 AM

Maybe you could look around at other places for employment? Do you have any other kind of work or volunteer experience?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:43 AM

We have service times we have to abide by. Were supposed to serve the customer in under 90 seconds in the drive thru. My times were through the roof when I was working window and of course my store manager wasn't too happy about that. I have anxiety issues and that just makes the situation worse.

Labyrinth <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 01:56 AM

I'm going to start looking for other work. I have no other volunteer experience = /

Labyrinth <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 02:34 AM

Hey Joanie,
I don't work at a fast food place, but I do work as a cashier and I understand the stress you face when it get's busy. I know it's been said, but it may take a little while longer for you to get used to the stressful parts of your shift. Sometimes while i'm working on the express cash, the line of customers will be huge, and I feel so much pressure because everyone expects me to get through the line quickly. That's when I feel the most anxious and stressed out. Personally, what I do, is I just remind myself to relax, and I try to focus on my breathing. Remind yourself that you're doing the best you can, and really just take a few seconds to yourself to bring down the anxiety level.

If it doesn't work for you, and you feel like you really can't handle working at the drive thru, is it possible for you to switch positions if you feel it might help? Also, looking for a new job is a good idea. Although you're not happy about the situation right now, at least you have some job experience, and have learned that the fast food industry isn't exactly the type of job you want in the future. Hope this helped a bit!

Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 04:02 AM

i really get what you're feeling. Really I do. I work at a pizza shop and we have really short time limits and it can be really stressfull.

You're amazing just the way you are

(#10 (permalink)) Old
AmberS9109 Offline
I'll Be There For You =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 02:50 PM

I worked at McDonald's for a month. I ended up walking off the job because my boss called me fat. Pretty ironic, eh?
Anyway, I get what you're feeling. But here's my advice:
If you're not feeling bubbly or happy, act like it. When you get paid, you'll feel the happiness for real :]
Hope I helped.

Two is better than one.
Amber + Stephen ♥ 11.15.09
  Send a message via AIM to AmberS9109 Send a message via MSN to AmberS9109 Send a message via Yahoo to AmberS9109  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 05:22 PM

Have they hired any new people since you came on staff?

If so you may be able to asks for a less busy shift or either to get another job within the place.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 06:54 PM

I think it's retail in general .

I know the feeling when it's really crowded and constant, people can be a bit of a pain .

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 08:05 PM

I'm going to go job hunting I think thursday. I'm going to stay away from fast food. I want to get a job at a clothing store, where you don't have to worry about typing in peoples orders wrong, or giving them the wrong order. I think working at a clothing store wouldn't be as much pressure. Especially if your working during the day and its really slow. It doesn't help when your working fast food when your manager is complaining about the times constantly. I know she gets in trouble also if the times are bad, but ugh. I think I get stressed out too easily to.

Labyrinth <3

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 09:40 PM

That sounds good to keep some stress off.

Another option if you know what you want to do with the rest of your life is to find a job in that field.

Also, if you plan to stay at the fast food place until you get another job or even if you do not be sure to put in a two week notice.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 11:32 PM

I know how you feel. I started a job at a greenhouse last week, and the people try to talk to me, which I hate. I'm always being told I'm doing everything wrong. And I'm not at the expected packaging quota. It stresses me bad, and I'm allergic to the plants, on top of it. I only stay with it because I need the money, so I guess, keep with it and search for other jobs while you're at it? *Shrugs* Thats what I'm doing.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: working at fast food - July 6th 2010, 11:38 PM

I've worked in fast-food as well as in restaurants (dishwasher plus some cooking, sometimes serving if the servers are too busy) but never worked at the drive-thru although I'd imagine it'd be the same. I actually like some of the fast-paced jobs because I do like cooking and the fast pace keeps me on my toes so the job is always interesting. However, when you're working fast-food, remember, food is something that makes people cranky as hell when they're hungry and that's usually what they care about. So sometimes the boss or chef may be yelling away but don't take it personally even when you are insulted because it's meant to make you work faster, produce more and better food (cant make it better at slummy fast-food places).

If you cant seem to handle the pressure, then try asking for alternate work times or apply elsewhere. If you apply to a fast-food place or a restaurant, they like it when your resume shows you've had past experience.

You can try applying at a restaurant or pubs for positions of server or working in the kitchen. It's not necessarily going to be easier, in fact for larger restaurants it won't be. I worked at one place with about 20-25 tables and it was pretty hard but then worked at a place double or triple that (around 60-70 tables) and it was busy as hell. You may get the job of dishwasher, which isn't particularly pleasant but it can lighten up. Mind you, the larger restaurant also had a bar so for evening shifts, there may be less demand for food but you can get more drunks to deal with (i.e. 1 am tossing out drunks when only 6 people work there and still making food).

Being a server is another one, it can be hectic but you get tips which add up to be pretty nice. At first, it's hard because you have no idea which table is which but once you learn that, it gets much easier. The customers may still be a pain because there's always those groups of people that are.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: working at fast food - July 7th 2010, 12:00 AM

Every job has parts where it just feels like everything's getting on top of you. Its only been a few months. Things will slowly become second nature to you after a while. You have to make mistakes to learn the perfect way of doing things.

When you feel like everything is getting crazy, just breathe. Deep breath in, deep breath out, 3-6 seconds is good. As long as you can get away with. It seems to slow life down a bit.

You'll be okay. This is just one of life's many hurdles

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#18 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: working at fast food - July 7th 2010, 12:52 AM

I'm going to keep working there till I find something else. I'm not working in food service period. No restaurants, no fast food. I can't stand being surrounded by food all the time. Like I said I think I'd rather work at a clothes store.

Labyrinth <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: working at fast food - July 11th 2010, 11:08 PM

I know how you feel. I work as a service clerk which means we have to use cash registers. I work at a local Walgreens in town here. It can be very stressful whenever it gets busy or whenever there is a customer holding up the line. I have been there for 2 years and still work there. The job isn't that great or fun to be honest. It has made me think negatively about other people easier and easier.

You ALWAYS gotta worry about if the customer coming up will be a jerk or not.
In your case if you feel the job is not for you then apply elsewhere at a different place even if it is fast food or retail (Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Krogers, etc)
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: working at fast food - July 12th 2010, 01:23 AM

i do! But i been so tired of it that im applying for something different.

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: working at fast food - July 12th 2010, 01:26 AM

To add onto my post -- I am currently in college and whenever I job hunt after my degree (apparently this community college is supposed to help us find a job in our field cough yeah right cough)

I am going to probably never look back in retail whenever it is completed. ;/
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: working at fast food - July 13th 2010, 01:49 PM

i worked at McDonalds for a few weeks and couldnt handle it either.... maybe try a retial position... at least u wont be so darn busy ALL THE TIME and u get to move around a little instead of standing at a counter all day. for me, it was an AWESOME switch, tho i did learn from my time at McDonalds

(#23 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: working at fast food - July 13th 2010, 07:36 PM

I worked at KFC once, and I absolutely hated it. People are so rude. I have also worked as a cashier at a couple different gas stations, which is a bit better. But you still get rude people from time to time. And people who think you are trying to get over on them ...

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: working at fast food - July 14th 2010, 11:51 AM

I worked at McD and lasted 3 weeks..

Closed Thread