TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 01:29 AM

So at the community college I am attending I have been told by friends who go there after you complete your degree they would help you find a job in that field or major. Is this really true or just a hoax?
I know I could just ask the college and such. I want people who have completed a degree and have a job in it to at least reply as well.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 01:33 AM

Some colleges have schemes that help you, some don't. Most teachers are willing to give advice though.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 02:25 AM

Some do some don't. I'm not in a real college, I'm more of in a trade school for Phlebotomy. I have a lifetime career service, which is really cool. If I ever need help finding a job they will do their best to find one for me or help me out with resumes and things like that. At first I thought It was a hoax, but there is this woman that comes into our class letting us know what's up, correcting us. So far the times she's come in she asked if anyone spoke Spanish and that they were doing inteviews for a few Job openings. The other time she wanted to know if anyone volunteered.

I really think that you have to ask students around the school, they are the only ones that will tell the truth.

But hey, what kind of job where you looking/going for?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 04:19 AM

Certain community colleges do help find a job for you but I think they may give your resume out to employers, after that it's your duty to try to get the job. But the job would be directly related to the degree or certificate you received. I'm not in a community college though so whatever I'm saying is from what I've gathered from others or from TV ads.

At university, and I know for a fact this also occurs in community colleges, the professors or instructors give you good advice on how to get a job, how to get into the certain fields you are interested in, what things not to do, etc... because they've done this already and have first-hand experience as well as have collegeus in various locations also.

The best people I'd say to ask would be fellow students (preferably senior students), TA's if you have them for your course, and the professors/instructors. They can tell you not only "yes" or "no" to your question but also the process and other information that someone at the registrar of the college probably does not know.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 04:37 AM

There are some colleges that offer that as an incentive, but most professors are willing to help you out if you ask them to.

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 12:45 PM

I figured as much most colleges would offer it as a incentive. I will ask the actual professors/instructors for answers and how to go about doing it. I know that our college has really good programs and activities. I doubt the adviser type people wouldn't be of any help for this either?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 11:17 PM

A lot more are offering job placement help, but 99% will not guarantee it with the current job market. I remember when some private colleges did, but I was like 10 at the time.

At Ohio State, they would help with resume building, alumni connections, mock interviews, and they would advertise jobs in the community. Usually they recommend to go to the career services a year before graduation.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 12th 2010, 11:23 PM

What I would suggest is keeping in close contact with your advisor and career center. I think the amount of information and opportunities that come your way will have a lot to do with how proactive you are about finding them.

I'm sure your advisor will have information for you. A good tip is to keep your resume updated so that you're prepared for unexpected opportunities.

Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 13th 2010, 03:03 AM

some community colleges are scams. just go research them. If i am rich i can easily start one...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 13th 2010, 04:37 PM

Another question -- never have made a resume before. I don't know who can help with that besides the college possibly.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 16th 2010, 04:28 AM

There are general templates and guides online. Usually it involves getting an objective such as why you wrote the resume and why you want the job. Then you list skills, education, work history, and contact info (not in that order.) The style of writing resumes changes with the job market but the basics are usually there.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Nova Offline
I've developed a TH addiction.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 16th 2010, 05:37 AM

I just graduated from a smaller art school and here's how it works there.

You have a career services advisor that helps you up to 6 months after graduation in finding a job. Basically my advisor tries to find leads through networking, websites, whatever and if she finds something, she sends out resumes from graduates that would be a good fit. But often, she's sending multiple resumes to the same employer.

I graduated a month ago, and I have only heard from her once, but the job she found was out of state, which didn't really help since I cannot relocate.

Don't underestimate your teachers either. They usually have a lot of professional contacts. I've gotten a couple leads from a few of mine. A bunch of people seek our teachers out looking for the recommendations for students in their department. So study hard and make a good impression on them.

But bottom line, it's your responsibility to follow up with anything your school helps you find, and you should not rely on your school to find job leads for you. Gotta do a little digging yourself. Often, you're better off if you find it on your own. It not only shows initiative but it gives you options.

As far as resumes go. There are many templates online, as Annie mentioned. But it's never a bad idea to seek help from your teachers or writing center, should your school provide one. Templates can get you started, but depending on what field your going into, the format could be a bit different.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Atokad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 18th 2010, 01:23 AM

At my college (Information Science and Technology) there are more internships that, if you do a good enough job while interning there and after you graduate college, offer you a job at the company. Note that this isn't guaranteed and that the University the college is in doesn't offer it by any means. The academic advisers do mention it and tell you that they will help at some colleges but you'd just have to ask to be honest.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do colleges really find a job for you? - July 18th 2010, 01:41 AM

Hi guys,

It's nice to see all the replies to this post. I was shocked to see so many and so much ideas for help.
Closed Thread