TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Boyfriends new job concerns. - July 19th 2010, 04:00 PM

My boyfriend, who has been unemployed and has struggled to find a job for nearly two years, has just got a job with Space Kitchens as a 'kitchen designer'. We were so happy when he got the call for an interview, he's had no luck with finding a decent job and has been stuck with a crappy cleaning job for over a year. He got the job and we were both really excited, they told him that he could potentially make up to 100k a year and we were jubilant. Then he told his parents who have been badgering him constantly about not having a job, they were pleased of course but they also mentioned that it could be a scam. Anyway i thought about what they said and decided that to be sure i would do some research, his Dad has recently paid for him to finally get out of his overdraft and he can't afford to loose anymore money.

So i did some googleing and was quite shocked at what i found. A lot of complaints about poor customer service and bullying-type sales tactics. As well as a few comments from people who work or who have worked with Space about how poorly they treat their staff, some who said they weren't getting paid and they HAVE to spend 4 hours at least at someones house doing a sales pitch or they won't get paid for the deal (people also complained about them spending so much time at their house, someones till 2am). Most of the comments were from 3/4 years ago but i found a couple from the last year/2 years as well which said the same. The company has also been on bbc's watchdog, but this was a few years ago so i couldn't find any articles on the bbc regarding that. But what i can say about my searching was that it didn't look good. In fact it looks like these kitchen designers are more like salesmen (the double glazing type, maybe?).

I told my boyfriend, i didn't want to because he was so happy and exited but he had to know. He felt bad and let down a bit, but he doesn't really have a choice at the moment, he wants to work in the trade and in order to do that he needs money in order to take a few courses and get his qualifications. I suggested to him that in order to not have to work there longer than he needs to that he saves enough money to take one course in say electrician or plumbing, and after that find a job in that sector, and then earn even more money to take more courses. That way he's working there for less time than he needs to, some of the things i've seen on the net make me think that the whole company is incredibly unethical.

I'm just worried now because it really doesn't sound like a nice place to work, and my boyfriend really isn't the bullying type, he's just too nice and genuine to be like that and to con people like that. After talking he said that he wouldn't pressure sell (i don't know how the place works but how would they know?) because he doesn't have it in him to be like that with people and he wouldn't stay at peoples houses for longer than he needed to, if worst comes to worst he would just sit in his car until the time was up kinda thing (again how would they know?). I hope he doesn't get screwed over, he's been waiting so long to get a proper job. He's trying to think of the money, but it's the sales side of things he's worried about.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Boyfriends new job concerns. - July 19th 2010, 08:28 PM

Alot of that Job Vent stuff is just from people who haven't lasted more than a year or less at the business. I have read comments about where I work and it isn't true. Alot of times they only do it at their location they worked at and not the whole company.

My suggestion is to ignore the job vent sites and he should at least try
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Boyfriends new job concerns. - July 20th 2010, 03:35 AM

I will be very cautious with sales jobs and it sounds like it is a a multi-marketing or something like that nature.

I would look at the new Penn & Teller episode on multi-level marketing. Generally people lose money on them.

It sounds like he may lose a lot of money and time in the job. I would not recommend it to them.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
Closed Thread