TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 24th 2010, 01:43 AM

This seems like the best place to put this thread but feel free to move it

So I've been thinking a lot, mainly about my future and a career, I'm always told to do what im good at, and oddly enough no matter how much i hate it i am good at business, i hate business, its extremely boring and just isnt me,
But i am extremely good at it, And i just hate how much im good at it,
but what i want to really do im not really great at yet, i want to pursue a career in music, like performing in a band or on a solo career,

So im just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 24th 2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.sexyface View Post
This seems like the best place to put this thread but feel free to move it

So I've been thinking a lot, mainly about my future and a career, I'm always told to do what im good at, and oddly enough no matter how much i hate it i am good at business, i hate business, its extremely boring and just isnt me,
But i am extremely good at it, And i just hate how much im good at it,
but what i want to really do im not really great at yet, i want to pursue a career in music, like performing in a band or on a solo career,

So im just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.
If your successful in business you will have more time to play your guitar...

if you just play your guitar you will probaly be so poor. and you wont be able to start a business....

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 24th 2010, 08:00 PM

But I hate the life of a businessman, Why would I go into it as a career if I hate it?
I was saying above that i hate business, Id rather play in a band or a solo musician, it would be exciting, and i wouldnt hate myself for following what i hate,

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 24th 2010, 09:37 PM

You actually can be successful in the music world. Why not consider recording yourself playing the guitar and other things? That's how some famous people got to be famous. I really think you should do WHAT YOU LIKE.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 24th 2010, 10:51 PM

It's nice to follow what you love, but I think there also should be a point where you are realistic. A lot of people try to breakout in the music world and they are all competing for a very small spot.

One philosophy I heard from an Asian parent to one of their kids was that they could have one year to make it as a writer (of anything) and if they failed, they should go to law school. The kid couldn't get hired so she went to law school and now works in immigration. Maybe follow a similar approach. Do one year trying to make it and if you feel like you truly have a chance after the year, then continue. If not, then go to college and keep music as a hobby.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 27th 2010, 08:43 PM

You know, I was told for a long time I would be a perfect lawyer. And I would be a good lawyer - I have all the right qualities. But it's not me. Then I was told I should major in communications, because I'm good at public speaking. Yes, I'm good at it - but I also have terrible stage fright and feel like throwing up when I have to give a speech. So that's also not me. And then I was told I should be an English major. Now, I love writing, and I'm great at it. But as a career? Not me. On the side maybe, but I never wanted it as a true career.

Now I'm majoring in computer science, and it's right for me. I'm being realistic by choosing it, because I will be able to support myself with a programming job. But I'm still following what I love.

You always have to play to your strengths in life, but that doesn't mean you have to devote your life to it. I mentioned my skill in writing earlier - but I found a way to use that to my advantage in computer science. If you're good at business, why not find a way to incorporate it into something you love? For example, you mentioned a solo career in music - don't you think you would need business skills to be completely successful there? You can't always trust other people to manage it for you. That way your talent wouldn't be lost, but you wouldn't have to hate yourself.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 27th 2010, 09:09 PM

I understand what you mean. What i would do is, keep practising your music but also study for business. That way after that, you have your business qualification to fall back on, if your music career doesn't turn out the way you planned. This is what a lot of sports and music stars do just in case. You don't want to spend years working on your music and then have it fail (not saying you will) and then have no potential for earning a decent living. It's kinda like making the most of both. And to be honest even if you do end up working in business you'll still have some spare time to practice and improve, it just takes dedication!

Also i'm sure, like all industries having some business knowledge would be very helpful, especially when starting out within them

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 28th 2010, 01:12 AM

totally understand what you mean. my parents & school want me to pursue something 'academic' like English or law. for the longest time i was thinking about that but i've come to the decision that i actually want to pursue drama and go in to production or acting. i think you have to do what you love in life. theres no point working your arse off in a profession that bores you. business would be a 'safer' option but if you have your heart set on music then go for it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hating what your good at and following what you love, - July 28th 2010, 09:57 PM

Ummm if u have great business skills you can easily become a successful musican.

Ever heard of... N'Sync? Backstreetboys?

They are created by a business man that scam the boy bands. He is very smart. and he promoted them, created the corporate connections.... managed the bands and hired song writers and everything. I wouldnt consider it scamming Thats what some people called it. But the boybands signed a contact that states that he would keep like 95 percent of the profits lol.

Most actors and musicans would have never been successful without great business skills... Such as Networking, managing, promoting, targeting groups, budgeting.... ect....

Do you really have great business skills? In business the score card is mostly based on profit? How profitable was your business? Or maybe our over exaggerating ur business skills.

The guy's name is Lou Pearlman. he is a scammer... but he was successful at creating legitamate bands. he made like 10 of them in less than 10 years Nsynch and backstreetboys have geenrted about a quarter of a billion albums sold!

Closed Thread