TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
itsmekt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Impossible? - July 26th 2010, 05:40 PM

My whole life Ive always knew I was going to college. Not going wasn't an option. I get pretty good grades and can definitely get in. I always thought I'd major in something like psychology or something of that's sort.

I'm going to be a senior in high school this year and about a year ago it seemed like everything changed. Even more dramatically in the past month. I don't want to major in psychology. I don't even know if I want to go to college. My parents can't afford to give me any money so it'd be all on me to find a way to pay for it.

What I really want to do is something in music. It's like a passion of mine and I just love everything in the music scene and all i ever want to do is play guitar or listen to music. I've never been in band at school so I don't have any experience there. But I do play guitar. I'm not saying I want to be a rockstar or anything (although that'd be awesome!) but I just want to do something music related.

One idea I had was getting a major in business and maybe opening a music store or something.

It'd also be totally amazing to work for a record label. But that dream seems more hard to reach.

Thinking about all of this has made me sad lately. I really don't want to end up in a job I hate. And doing something in music would never bore me or be something I don't like. But it seems like it's an impossible dream. I talked to two of my friends about it. One told me she could see me do something like that and the other one told me I wasn't 12 anymore and to start being more realistic.

Sorry I'm kind of rambling but I just wanted to know what other peoples opinions on this was.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Impossible? - July 28th 2010, 07:54 PM

Honestly, to major in music in college, you need to know the basics of music and therory. They aren't going to teach very basics and not being in high school band is really going to hinder you. I'm not trying to be mean, but I am being blunt. I think that you should try to look into something else because music and acting are just two things that are so very difficult to get into as a career unless it is your life. I think you would be better off looking into something else.
Thats just my two cents.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Impossible? - July 29th 2010, 03:32 PM

I remember when I was at that point. I always knew I was going to college, and figured I would major in some sort of science degree, like my parents. With my mom being a chemistry major and my dad being a biology major, I never considered anything else.

But when it got to the point where I was finally going...I realized I didn't want to major in science. Or anything else. And I was struggling with my decision. I spent 3 years as a math major, not being entirely happy with my choice. And now, here's the funny part. I am majoring in science, now - computer science. And my parents don't give me any money for college - I have to pay for it all myself.

My point here is, we were all there. Sure, there are some people who always know what they want to do and then do it. But there aren't all that many of them. Right now, focus on at least going to college. Try classes in a few different subjects - you have to in order to complete the general requirements, anyway. Maybe you'll end up with psychology, or music...but maybe you'll end up with something totally different. Either way, you'll go with what's right for you

They do teach very basic music in college, by the way...I know because I took a few music classes at college and they start out by teaching you the basic theory. They assume people have no clue what music is, and they start from there. (As a musician for many years, that annoyed me). If you take a class for an instrument, they assume you already know how to play, but they still start out basic. So don't base your decision on that.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#4 (permalink)) Old
itsmekt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Impossible? - July 30th 2010, 09:53 PM

Elizabeth: I totally understand you're not trying to be mean. I do know pretty much all the basics. Like I said I play guitar. And I play a little piano. And I've pretty much been into music my whole life. I was in band for like a year when I was in fifth grade and i know a lot of musicians who have taught me stuff. But thanks so much for replying I'll totally take what you said into consideration.

VampirePrincess: hey thanks so much for understanding. I'm pretty much lost right now. I think I probably will end up going to college if I find the money. And I definitely will try out different classes and things.

Closed Thread