TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
reverie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 15th 2009, 11:47 PM

I have interests, but most of them tend to center around the concept of 'fun' and not 'work'. I love music, but I have no playing ability. I like video games, but no universities near me offer any sort of programs relating to that. Is there some sort of a quiz I can take to figure out what jobs would cater to my interests?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 15th 2009, 11:49 PM

You might want to try www.jobdiagnosis.com
You can take aptitude tests there.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 16th 2009, 12:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet. You have a while to figure it out. But once you find something you really enjoy a LOT you can figure out a way to make it work with a career. Interested in gaming? How about studying to be a programmer? Like music but can't play? How about singing? Or music education at the elementary grade level?
There are a lot of different things you can really look into. Go see your school guidance counselor; they should have some suggestions as to what you can do. You can also go down to your local military recruiting center and ask them about taking the ASVAB. It'll show you your strengths and weaknesses and various jobs that are within those strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck to you! ^_^
~Emily

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 16th 2009, 02:59 PM

What about training to be a music journalist, producer or song writer...? That way you'd be around the music area...
Or if you want to do something in gaming, is there no possible way of going to a uni further away???
I do agree with Emily, you could always talk to the counsellor, they could have a list of suggestions, they helped me a lot when I went to them.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 16th 2009, 09:37 PM

What kinds of "fun" things do you like to do that you think you could stand doing for a living?

Just some careers off the top of my head that involve a lot of creative and/or recreational elements:

Video game design
Recreational therapy
Early childhood education/child care
Film/Video production
Graphic design
Nature/park guide
Animal care
Acting/Theater

Obviously there is work involved in basically any career, but if you're against the whole 9-5 office work thing, these are some options.

Have you tried taking a personality test? Lots of times they list possible careers that might fit your personality type.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 17th 2009, 11:15 AM

Go to the career center at the local community college near you, they can help you alot.

Good luck.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 18th 2009, 05:57 PM

There are also a lot of online colleges available if you don't want to move far away to go to college, and I'm sure one of them has some sort of programming class available

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Claire Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Claire

Re: Ugh.. I don't know what I want to do with my life - February 18th 2009, 07:00 PM

You have no idea how many people I went to uni with who graduated and still don't know what they want to do. Many people just end up falling into a job they love, so don't worry. Do what people have suggested to you, they sound like great ideas, but if you really can't decide on something, don't beat yourself up about it, its fine. You'll get there eventually. If you follow a passion to university, you can do any course you enjoy then. Once you have completed, you have a degree and thats all many employers look for, no matter what its in. I'm sure something great will come along for you.

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though its breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, youll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
Youll see the sun come shining through for you

Closed Thread