TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kaitlyn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitlyn

I have no idea what I'm going to do after high school, I need help. - July 29th 2010, 09:31 PM

I'm entering my senior year of high school in September and I have no idea where I'm going with my life. I feel pressure from my family always aggrivating me about it.

My only real interests are computers. But honestly, I don't want a career where I have to sit in front of the computer all day.

I've always thought I'd love to be a forensic scientist, but that involved degrees in chemistry and other sciences which have been my only weakness thoughout high school.

For a while I thought about becoming a licensed message therapist, but I'm not sure if that seems promising. That led to the idea of becoming a physical therapist, but that involved courses and degrees in the science area.

I've taken several of those career tests (aptitude tests are they called?) and I most often receive teacher, which I'm completely uniterested in.

So I'm not really sure what kind of advice I'm looking for. Does anybody have some suggestions or words of wisdom?

"I think people want peace so much
that one of these days the government
had better get out of the way and
let them have it."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(#2 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: I have no idea what I'm going to do after high school, I need help. - July 30th 2010, 04:01 PM

There are jobs concerning computers where you don't have to sit in front of the computer all day. How about getting into an engineering sort of thing, where you deal with the hardware? Just throwing something out there.

I had no interests in anything except money when I started college, and I decided on majoring in math because I was pretty good at it. But now I'm majoring in computer science and I want more than anything to be a programmer. I didn't know a computer type major existed until I had to take a class on it, and then I fell in love with it.

My point here is...major in something that interests you - like start off with a computer science or computer engineering major. Because related fields will be required classes, and when you take them you may discover something you like even more. There is no need to decide right away on what career you want, because chances are you'll change your mind anyway. Just decide on a major, where you think you could enjoy the sort of job you know you can get with that degree. Then work from there. I thought the career choice came before the major choice - but it really doesn't. There are so many things you can do in every field, things you probably haven't even heard of before...just decide on your general interest area first to make the choice easier

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kaitlyn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: I have no idea what I'm going to do after high school, I need help. - July 30th 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePrincess View Post
There are jobs concerning computers where you don't have to sit in front of the computer all day. How about getting into an engineering sort of thing, where you deal with the hardware? Just throwing something out there.

I had no interests in anything except money when I started college, and I decided on majoring in math because I was pretty good at it. But now I'm majoring in computer science and I want more than anything to be a programmer. I didn't know a computer type major existed until I had to take a class on it, and then I fell in love with it.

My point here is...major in something that interests you - like start off with a computer science or computer engineering major. Because related fields will be required classes, and when you take them you may discover something you like even more. There is no need to decide right away on what career you want, because chances are you'll change your mind anyway. Just decide on a major, where you think you could enjoy the sort of job you know you can get with that degree. Then work from there. I thought the career choice came before the major choice - but it really doesn't. There are so many things you can do in every field, things you probably haven't even heard of before...just decide on your general interest area first to make the choice easier
Engineering doesn't sound like a bad idea, and I really love math as well. I've heard stories similar as yours and I think you have a good point. Thanks a lot

"I think people want peace so much
that one of these days the government
had better get out of the way and
let them have it."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Closed Thread